PDA

View Full Version : Red Ear Sliders

porsche911
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Hello,

I have a couple of red ear sliders...they are 2-3 years old...looking on the net they both seem to be males (both have long tails and long claws)...yet for some reason they seem to be doing "the" dance thingie...where one puts his hands on the others face and "shivers"...I thought that was only when they are courting...thus now I am totally confused...sometimes they seem to fight...and at other times one mounts the other...

:help: :help: :help:

thanks...

YaYgoldFish
01-03-2008, 04:37 PM
My male and female do it often, but I never find eggs..

Maybe you mis identified them?

Tooch
01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Maybe they're gay turtles...

squirt_12
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
My male and female do it often, but I never find eggs..

Maybe you mis identified them?
a little off topic...but do red ear sliders lay eggs in the ground aswell like every other turtle?? this sounds like a dumb question??? so would you have to have dirt in there???

but they could just be doing that for fun or something......i have seen 2 male or 2 female angels swim together like they are a pair.....maybe they are just...best friends.....lol.

porsche911
01-03-2008, 05:09 PM
as far as i have read...they do lay eggs in the ground (for the eggs to hatch/live that is)...

i guess they could be friends...

know of anybody who has an extra female???

cocoa_pleco
01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Maybe they're gay turtles...

lol, thats a good one.

sorry i dont have the answer to the question though, in alberta we cant have turtles because the government thinks that if they allow them kids will get salmonella

Fishguy2727
01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
He has found the closest thing to a female RES. Many animals do things like this when no individuals of the other sex are around.

They lay eggs in the dirt near the water. Very smart (as well as lucky and quick) turtles will lay them in alligator nest mounds. Perfect environment and WELL protected.

porsche911
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
lovely...so he's Bi hehehehe

Tooch
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I've never seen this type of behavior on TMNT... The things they teach you when you're a kid...

S13DWS
01-06-2008, 08:04 AM
My dads kept RES for s fair few years now. At one stage we had 2 females and a male together, We would quite often find one of the females doing this to the other female turtle.

They do lay eggs in the ground, If they dont have ground to lay they will lay in the water and turn around and eat them :-)

dustinpedley
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
you cant really sex them till there about 6" SCL or so before that they all look like males. in the other turtle forums I've heard this happening but is you do have two males housed together be careful, they will fight and they have been known to kill one another