PDA

View Full Version : plant help

MercCougar
01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I have a 75 gallon and I want lots of plants. I have two large amazon swords 2 young spadder duck another type of sword that I can't remember the name of some giant temple and some other grass like plants that are on there way to cloging my filter. Anyway I am looking for some different colors and textures. I tried some red ludwig but it didn't go well I moved the last of that to a smaller aquarium and it's getting better. The fish don't seem to be eating the plants but I do have a nitrate problem which I have found to be the tap water. I have added some nitrban to my wet dry filter and the nitrate is comming down but I need plants that can balance the rest and grow fast enough to not get choked out by algea.
On another issue is it better to add to a thread or make a new one.

thanks for any help you can give me
Jon

sergo
01-03-2008, 05:18 PM
how much light do you currently have? from the sounds of what you want and have you're going to probably need co2 injection and a lot more light. ferts will also be on the list of needs too.
how much nitrate is in your tap water? if you get enough plants they'll take care of that for you as long as everthing else is taken care of too (light, ect).

MercCougar
01-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I just upgraded the light its about 260w PC light. I also have a CO2 fermintation system. I tried using the supplied refills but they never started producing so I just use sugar water and yeast it seems to do ok. I am also using a liquid plant sup. The tap water was somewhat high I can't be right on but somewhere at 20 to 40 ppm. I had changed about 75% of the tank thinking my nitrate would drop to around 20 ppm only to find it was around 70ppm. That was when I tested the tap water. BTW does anyone have a link to an RO filter or something that will take out nitrate as well.

shockshockshad
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
You need nitrate for plants. They use it as ferts. It is in your fertilizer too for them so that might be why you have so much. There are a lot of RO systems on drsfostersmith.com

digital3
01-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Hmmm... I'm not sure about the RO system since that may take out some needed nutrients/elements for your plants. If you use it, you still may want to mix it with your regular tap water.

Also for a big tank with high light you will definitely need to go with pressurized CO2. From what I understand DIY CO2 doesn't cut it once you start dealing with large tanks and high output lights.

I'm researching pressurized CO2 myself. I just need to lock down my choices before I start blowing the bucks $$$. Good luck! +:thumb:

shockshockshad
01-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Sorry for kinda intruding, but would a 30 gallon be a big tank? I am planning on getting a fermentation CO2 system for it, but I just read this.

digital3
01-04-2008, 01:27 AM
From what I've read, they mention 50 Gallon and up as being a larger tank. Here's a couple of sites you can check out:

http://www.plantgeek.net/

http://www.rexgrigg.com/

Sorry, don't mean to promote other sites. This will just provide some good CO2 info. Look under the CO2 forums. We should really get one started around here. The Rex Grigg site provides some really good info on CO2 (with a bit of a funny twist from the site creator, he's kinda' funny). He also sells CO2 equipment. I'm thinking of picking up a regulator from him.

From what I understand DIY is cheaper than a pressurized system, but in the end the hassle isn't worth it.

smaug
01-04-2008, 01:48 AM
First off are you positive that you really have high nitrate.Most fish shop nitrate tests are questionable at best.If your tap water has high nitrates you have a whole other set of health problems to deal with,mainly your own.Get your water checked by a water proffesional.I thought I had high nitrates also because of aquarium tests I got it checked by a pro,it turns out that my nitrates were only 3-5 ppm vs the 40-50 my tests were giving me.If it turns out your nitrates really are elevated then an RO system is the way to go.You will have to add many different ferts and minerals to your water before it will work for plants,and thats a whole other post.As for plants that really pull the nitrates you can try cabomba and hornwort.If you can put floaters in then water cabbage and hyacynth works wonders as well.You do have an awful lot of light and you will most certainly have algae problems,Im afraid pressurized co2 may be neccesary.Your tank is too large for DIY or yeast systems.Can you tell us what your other parameters are such as ph ,nitrite,GH,KH?

MercCougar
01-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Do you have any info on the carbon blocks I was looking at those. Pressurized co2 seems like a pain

smaug
01-04-2008, 11:24 PM
google the carbon block system,I did.I found out from every source that it is inefficient and troublesome.On paper they sound great but with a little research there benefits are small.If pressurized is out of the question you may get by with a yeast system in concert with seachem excel.Good luck.

digital3
01-05-2008, 03:15 AM
Do you have any info on the carbon blocks I was looking at those. Pressurized co2 seems like a pain

From what I'm researching, it looks like the initial setup of pressurized Co2 may be a bit of a pain. But once it's set up and running, I believe it's pretty low maintenance.

Dave66
01-05-2008, 03:59 AM
From what I'm researching, it looks like the initial setup of pressurized Co2 may be a bit of a pain. But once it's set up and running, I believe it's pretty low maintenance.

Couldn't be lower if your regulator is equipped with a solenoid plugged into a timer. Initial startup is rather expensive, but it couldn't be less expensive or more easy to use. Pay 10 bucks each to refill my Co2 tanks, once every 12 to 14 months, at the local welder supply. Recalibrate my pH controllers once every few months when it tells me to. You could get the whole outfit minus the tank for about $375 or so from fosters and smith, according to the catalog I got today.

Dave