PDA

View Full Version : Salt Needed? Really?

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, as I was pricing tanks for my betta fish today at PetSmart, I just had to look at the gouramis, of course. They had several tanks of them (dwarf, powder blue, fire red, etc.). On every "name tag" it said that salt was needed for these fish. I don't remember reading this during my research though. Any tips?

~Erik3.8.07~
01-03-2008, 01:18 AM
light doses of aquarium salt can be used to treat diseases like ick, but not needed for them to thrive, mine are in 100% freshwater and are 100% helthy and happy

Rue
01-03-2008, 01:20 AM
There's a lot of controversy surrounding the use of salt in FW tanks.

At the moment, the trend is going away from the use of salt as a tonic.

It's believed that salt improves osmoregulation and also min. the incidence of parasites and fungus to some extent. Tonic doses of salt are 1 tbsp per 5 gallons of water (which must be adjusted with each water change).

The 'no salt' trend says that adding salt to a FW system is detrimental to the overall health of the tank. Certain fish ARE more sensitive to salt in there water...esp. scaleless fish...and some say others too, such as cories. However there really is no hard evidence with regards to the cories.

BOTH sides agree that the use of higher levels of salt provide an excellent 'cure' for wounds and parasites.

I think my tanks do better with tonic levels of salt. But I'll run them either way.

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Okay. I didn't think they needed any salt in the aquarium. They should say the salt is for healing purposes only. lol

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 01:23 AM
There's a lot of controversy surrounding the use of salt in FW tanks.

At the moment, the trend is going away from the use of salt as a tonic.

It's believed that salt improves osmoregulation and also min. the incidence of parasites and fungus to some extent. Tonic doses of salt are 1 tbsp per 5 gallons of water (which must be adjusted with each water change).

The 'no salt' trend says that adding salt to a FW system is detrimental to the overall health of the tank. Certain fish ARE more sensitive to salt in there water...esp. scaleless fish...and some say others too, such as cories. However there really is no hard evidence with regards to the cories.

BOTH sides agree that the use of higher levels of salt provide an excellent 'cure' for wounds and parasites.

I think my tanks do better with tonic levels of salt. But I'll run them either way.

Okay! I may do some reading about it, but I don't think I'll use salt for right now.

~Erik3.8.07~
01-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Okay! I may do some reading about it, but I don't think I'll use salt for right now.

yup research is key, i didnt think it was vital and i think the fish will do just as well with or without so i passed on the salt doses in my tank, its a personal preference thing

MeganL3985
01-03-2008, 02:35 AM
I used to put salt in my betta tanks, but stopped seeing the need for it. I dont have it in any of my tanks anymore. Just keep the container of it around for possible medical reasons.

Incredulous_Ed
01-03-2008, 04:45 AM
Nah, I wouldn't use salt. It can cause more problems than if you dont add it at all.

mitcore
01-03-2008, 08:49 AM
i have mine in fesh water also i dont use salt( LOL except hardener salt LOL i think that is still salt) i dont add any except that

Tooch
01-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I actually use salt in mine, about a tablespoon per 10 gallons. The important thing to remember about salt if you decide to use it: Salt doesn't evaporate like water. So when doing water changes, only replace the salt equal to the amount of water you replaced in the tank. I had to go to the lfs last night because my paroon got a scrape on him, so I needed to pick up some melefix. I asked them last night after reading some thoughts about it on here, and they reccomended it as well as an all time additional to the water. They felt it helped the electrolytes in the water to help heal the fish, as well as helped the slime coat. This is just my thoughts and understandings on it though. I've also hear several people who have never even thought of putting salt in the water, so I imagine you can go pretty much either way!

Ellen4God
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone for letting me know your experiences! :) I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I went to bed super early last night, so my usual late-night reading didn't happen. lol I'll do it today though.

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I've also read numerous pro's and con's regarding salt. Years ago salt was always used but more and more people are getting away from it......just as in the use of charcoal.

Friends of mine with fish always use salt and swear by it. They claim they never get ick or other diseases. However, they also use charcoal. I don't get diseases, either, and I don't use salt altho I wish I had used it when I lost 40 some fish to ick from buying those new ones. Had I used salt from day one they probably wouldn't have gotten so bad before it killed them all.

I've read that fish can become susceptible to salt and large amounts needs to be used then when controlling diseases. I've also read salt can destroy their slime coat.

A lot of opinions change during the years and the old time fishkeepers stick to the way they've done things forever and the newer fishkeepers have their own ways of doing things. Depends on what article you read or who you talk to. I think, like using charcoal, it's never been proven to be beneficial or not beneficial one way or another.

When the Super WalMart opened here, they had great looking fish, never had diseases and were healthy looking. The guy that worked in that department salted every tank. Now their tanks all have dead and dying fish and they don't use salt and I wouldn't buy a fish from them for nothing.

So, altho I have to wonder at times, I don't use it.

NickFish
01-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Salt is really only there because it helps discourage infection which many gouramis are very prone to. it is a good idea to put some salt in for dwarfs but it isn't really needed if you keep your tank clean.
I never read those little name tag things, only to critisize them. Like the one on corydoras that says they need 1 gallon each. Honeys don't really need salt. Oh another thing. When you buy your honey (if you decide to) make sure it really is a honey gourami (colisa chuna) and not a gold gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) as the golds may outgrow your 10 gallon.

Sorry to hear about your fish loss to ich. That must have been really sad...

Tooch
01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Ich is one of the biggest reasons I've always been nervous to have a tank. When I was young my fish got it and died. Now that I'm a little older and more edumacated, and have people on here and at my lfs to turn to with questions, I'm good to go!

NickFish
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Now that I'm a little older and more edumacated
lol edumacated is a funny word.
I think once you get ich once you know what it looks like and how to treat it so it doesn't really get out of hand if you ever get it again. It's sorta like chicken pox- you get it once when your young and almost never get it again. At least in most cases. I've heard that the ich is always in the water. But where? what does it eat and where does it live?

Tooch
01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I've heard it's always in the water as well. All I know is it's a magical little creature that feeds off of the fishies hopes and dreams. Every once in awhile when Mars is in line with Jupiter, the little guys unite and attack. Um... wait, that's actually probably not right. But I have heard they are always around, kinda like Big Brother.

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't know as I believe ick is "always in the water" either altho it says everywhere it is. When you do 50-75% water changes each week, how can it be? Another part of this hobby that makes no sense to me.