PDA

View Full Version : cant share a 75g tank

Nautilus291
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a salvini and a red devil in my 75g tank. They are both the same size. I bought the red devil after reading how aggressive they are so I though maybe he would stand his own against my salvini. well I was wrong. The salvini thinks the 75g tank is all of his own and chases the red devil around. I have plenty of caves and plants in the tank. Does anyone have any other suggestions. The red devil doesnt have any nipped fins or anything the salvini just chases him around and doesnt let him have a terriroty of his own.

Drumachine09
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Have you tried re-arranging the decor? Also, When you re-divide it up, try to make two distinct territories, and hope they will each pic an opposite one.

More plants and decor in the tank will also be good to break up the tank, so they aren't always seeing each other.

mp3rp
01-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Now this is an idea and I am not sure if it would work. However I have heard that you should always put in the little fish before the big fish so that when you put the big fish in it would be unfamiliar with the tank and wont attack the tank mates. Anyway, if you have another tank you could try to remove the salvini into the other tank for a couple of weeks. While the Salvini is in another tank, re-arrange the 75 gallon. After a couple of weeks put the Salvini back in the tank and the Salvini won't recognize the tank and will not have any territories set up. It will see the red devil and either it will leave it alone and decide to share with it or it will continue chasing it. I am new to aquariums so I really don't know if it would work. But hey if you don't have any other ideas its worth a shot.

Nautilus291
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Both are really good ideas but i tried them all. They used to be in a 55g tank and I moved the red devil into the 75g tank first and then after a week i moved the salvini and as soon as i did he took over the tank. I could use more plants in my tank but I have alot of decor in it with 2 caves on opposite sides of the tank and the salvini still goes over to the other side and chases him.

Im just surprised the red devil doesnt fight back considering their reputation.

Incredulous_Ed
01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
What other fish are in the tank? Add some dithers, such as the larger rainbowfish, or large female convicts.

2manyfish
01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Make yourself a divider out of eggcrate (lighting diffuser) or buy a divider from your LFS and divide the tank in half. That way each fish will be able to establish it's own territory. Keep it up for 3 to 4 weeks then take it down. They should now both be "equal" and either they will stick to their own section or they will be able to share the tank. IF this doesn't work your only options are to either leave the divider up permanetly or get another tank for one of them.

Good luck!

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I second that. Sometimes after they are divided like that for awhile, they will get along again. Do you still have your 55 gallon?

Boy, you just don't ever know what will be compatible. Salvini's are supposed to be mild cichlids but as long as no fighting is going on, the Salvini is just throwing his weight. Maybe you need more fish so he isn't targeting only the one.