PDA

View Full Version : New 55g Would like opinion on fish to get

bc0421
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I recently set up a 55 gallon tank and would like some advice on inhabitants. I would like to get a blue Jack dempsey, but would also like a few other cichlids. I'm not looking to breed just to have a great looking tank with interesting fish that don't kill each other. The other cichlids I'm considering are as follows:

Green Terror
Convict
Serevum
Texas Cichlid
Oscar

I would like to have approximately 4 fish and maybe a small pleco. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good mix if I get all the fish as juveniles?

Nautilus291
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
well alot of the fish you listed will get too big for a 55g and there aggression is very high. electric blue jack dempseys get around 8 inches long and are less aggressive then regular jd, but be ready to spend money for them. They are pricey and weak gened so many of them die befdore they reach 3 inches. They need really good water quality and a ph around 7 to 7.4 but m make sure you keep the ph stable. Beautiful fish and if you can get one to live they are well worth the money.

Most of the fish that you listed are either too big for a 55g or you could only really fit one of them into it. In my opinion I would either get a pair of severums or an electric blue jack dempsey or 2.

I honestly believe that a 55g is too small for an oscar, texas cichlid or a green terror but if you did big weekly water changes you could maybe keep ONE fish in the tank.

Dave66
01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I recently set up a 55 gallon tank and would like some advice on inhabitants. I would like to get a blue Jack dempsey, but would also like a few other cichlids. I'm not looking to breed just to have a great looking tank with interesting fish that don't kill each other. The other cichlids I'm considering are as follows:

Green Terror
Convict
Serevum
Texas Cichlid
Oscar

I would like to have approximately 4 fish and maybe a small pleco. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good mix if I get all the fish as juveniles?

Let's see, the Green Terror (Aequidens rivulatus) 8 inches of pure aggression, the Convict (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus) 4 inches of bully, the Severum (Heros severus) about 8 inches, fairly mellow for his size and thus easily bullied. The Texas Cichlid, a foot long, and the Oscar (Astronotus ocellatus), 14 inches, not really aggressive and doesn't bother fish too large to eat. That's a lot of different Cichlids by size and aggression levels. The Oscar is too large for a 55, much less the Texas, as a standard 55 is a foot wide, thus neither will be able to easily turn around in that tank. Standard formula for medium to large size Cichlids is a 2x width by 4x length for a footprint, with the X's being the total length of the fish.

Dave

2manyfish
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Too many big fish. Why not the JD and a female convict, then add some dithers? The dithers will help the JD be out and about more. You could get something like 7 or 8 giant danios, get one*red-tailed black shark, and a bristlenose pleco.
Make sure the other fish are too big to be eaten by the JD, but the shark should be on the small size and the last to be added as RTB sharks can be nasty to smaller fish.

(*only one shark to a tank as they will fight with each other.)

Lady Hobbs
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Or get a tank full of the dwarfs cichlids. The Apistogramma's are very cool and come in a lot of varieties. You could also have blue rams and keyhole cichlids with them and they also don't hurt plants if you want them later on.

NickFish
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Listen to Dave he knows his fish.
I suggest the apistos too. I just started a 55 gallon apisto tank and I love it already. Tons of color variations to choose from and there are some relatively hardy varieties.