PDA

View Full Version : tank mates for oscars

melbfish20
01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I currently have 2 small oscars in my tank with a number of smaller fish and i have been told that once the oscars grow they will eat all my fish , i am planing on buying a second tank for my 2 oscars , are there any fish that make good oscar tank mates? also what is the size requirement needed for a tank with 2 oscars?

goleafs
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I have mine with a Tilapia, they tend to be good with any south american cichlids too big to fit in their mouth and of course plecos.

Kaga's Kritters
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
for 2 oscars i think a 100 gal would be minimum size. oscars really shouldn't be kept with other fish since they are so aggressive. i know of some people that have managed to keep other fish with them, but that will mean you will need an even bigger tank....like a 150gal

melbfish20
01-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I have mine with a Tilapia, they tend to be good with any south american cichlids too big to fit in their mouth and of course plecos.

ofcourse i forgot about plecos, i have one in my tank now, I will get another for my oscar tank as it should do a good cleaning job.

Tooch
01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Right now I have a paroon shark, a pleco, a green terror, a convict and a knife fish with my oscar. All are way too big to fit in his mouth, and they all get along well!

melbfish20
01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Right now I have a paroon shark, a pleco, a green terror, a convict and a knife fish with my oscar. All are way too big to fit in his mouth, and they all get along well!

is feeding an issue? i find that my other fish struggle a bit to compete with the oscars for food, i could solve the problem by simply putting lots more food in but i have been told that that could push the nitrate and amonium levels up

Kaga's Kritters
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM

what size tank to do have them all in? what are you going to do with them when they are all full grown?

Tooch
01-02-2008, 06:06 PM
is feeding an issue? i find that my other fish struggle a bit to compete with the oscars for food, i could solve the problem by simply putting lots more food in but i have been told that that could push the nitrate and amonium levels up

No issues with feeding. If it's a pellet day, the Oscar is amazingly gentle about eating. He's very slow to go up, sucks a couple in, then backs up. The convict and green terror have learned to be quick. Everyone eats well!

Tooch
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
what size tank to do have them all in? what are you going to do with them when they are all full grown?

Sorry about the 2 posts, but I dunno how to quote 2 people in the same post! They are currently in a 150gal tank, and will be moved to a 265gal within the next month or so. As far as what to do with them when full grown... I dunno! The Paroon gets anywhere from 5-9' when fully grown. The 9' is more in the wild. 5' is still way to large. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! Anyone want a monster catfish? lol

Kaga's Kritters
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Sorry about the 2 posts, but I dunno how to quote 2 people in the same post! They are currently in a 150gal tank, and will be moved to a 265gal within the next month or so. As far as what to do with them when full grown... I dunno! The Paroon gets anywhere from 5-9' when fully grown. The 9' is more in the wild. 5' is still way to large. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! Anyone want a monster catfish? lol

you should start thinking about it now. instead of waiting till he is huge and then risking having trouble finding him a home. i personally don't see the point in having a fish you can't properly care for for its whole life.

Tooch
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, my g/f bought it not knowing any better. We've had him for a year and a half now. Trust me, I don't go out intentionally buy fish that will get larger than my car...