PDA

View Full Version : Will salt kill snails?

Lady Hobbs
01-02-2008, 02:29 AM
These snails I got on my plants have got to go.

squirt_12
01-02-2008, 02:30 AM
are they ramshorns???? if they are i doubt it.....i have a bunch in my fiddler tank and thats brackish and they are doing awesome. They have grown large and keep laying eggs.

EDIT - if you mean aquarium salt...i don't know.

cocoa_pleco
01-02-2008, 02:31 AM
i would imagine if you got a high salinity it would kill them. you could also try a banded loach, i have one and hes a snail gobbling machine

Adrian
02-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Somewhere I had heard that salt actually softens the snails shell, making them vulernable. Not sure how true that is though. If the tank wasn't planted, I would suggest some coppersafe, as that gets rid of them quickly and effectively. Just make sure all inverts that you want to keep are out of the tank, as well as plants and scaleless fish.

Levi
02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
i use aquarium salt to keep my fish healthier

the snails don't mind it at all

Fishalicious
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Small snails that infest aquariums can tolerate a high concentration of Aquarium Salt. So Aquarium Salt is not going to help you get rid of your snails.

You have Clown loaches do you not? Why not put some of them to work (I assume the snails are in another tank)

toddnbecka
02-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Copper sulfate solution (Had-a-Snail) will kill snails (and any other inverts as well) but not your plants, fish, or beneficial bacteria. If you can't find any, you can simply drop a few pennies in the water and wait. Eventually, enough copper ions will be released to do in the snails. Old pennies may work better, new ones have relatively little copper content.