PDA

View Full Version : Bio Ball filter

chalermlit
08-22-2006, 02:49 AM
I'm new for saltwater fish , and someone told me to use Bio Ball in the filter system, who have the picture of it please show me.

Thank you

DemonShark
08-22-2006, 02:34 PM
http://fancycarp.com/pondconst/pond2/pondconst218.jpg

DemonShark
08-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Here ya go! My grandfather has them and they work very good

chalermlit
08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Thank you for your kind response

DemonShark
08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
np

stubbytheplecostomus
08-26-2006, 09:16 PM
how big is your tank? bioballs aren't the only thing you'll need, you should also have a protien skimmer, if your tank is 50+ gallons you will deffinantly want to invest in a wet/dry sump system.

PaulasPets
10-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Bioballs should be used in freshwater tanks only. In saltwater tanks they are used to start the cycle, but they should be gradually taken out after the tank has cycled. The bioballs are a nitrate factory and you don't want theat in your saltwater tank. Best filtering is done with a skimmer and live rock.

Paula

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I've read about the bio-balls but not sure what they do. Could you explain the reason for using them?

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I second that Hobbs. Someone please explain in more detail. Thanks.

PaulasPets
10-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Just like in freshwater aquariums the bioballs are a home to the bacteria that break down ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. Since they are normaly housed in a pot filter having constant waterflow, this is all they do: hence their name 'nitrate factory'. Nitrate is absorbed by plants, so its no problem in a planted tank.
In a marine aquarium you normaly have live rock to house these bacteria, but since deep inside the rock there isn't much waterflow, there will be water with a low oxygen concentration, making it a perfect environment for an other type of bacteria, which converts the nitrate into nitrogen, which will be released as a gas.
So, bioballs should only be used in (planted) freshwater tanks, they will only cause trouble in a marine tank...

Paula

gwenkat
10-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the information. :)

PaulasPets
10-23-2006, 01:16 PM
you are quite welcome!

Paula

Lady Hobbs
10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks Paula, I don't have planted tanks so guess I can skip buying this. Your information was good.

schoch79
11-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Funny thing that you say about the bio balls that way because isn't that what comes in the "reef ready" tanks? Such as the nanocubes I think? I recenty purchased an "aquapod" online, haven't recieved it yet but the filter system in the back of it has the space for the bioballs/nanoballs. I too don't really know much about these balls but it would seem only right that if they have filter setups for reef ready tanks to accept the bioballs that they would go hand in hand. Am I wrong? I am new to saltwater so I really don't know. This was just my best guess.

PaulasPets
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I guess if you don't have enough live rock in your tank, the bio balls would be a good addition for the biological filtering. Still live rock is better, because it not only houses the bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle, but is also home to a lot of small critters. The critters keep the rock clean. If you use bio balls in the filter, they will trap detrious which will rot inside the bio balls and eventually cause the nitrate boom. When using bio balls, they should be rinsed of regularly to avoid this. If not using the bio balls, the detrious will get into the skimmer and be skimmed out there. So thats all the filtering you need: Live Rock and a good skimmer!

Paula

AQUA_KING
11-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Sorry i will have to disagree paula, I have use bioballs in a 24x12x12 tank for 3Years and no problems at all. I rinse them in the water i take out once a week with the water change. I also use tap water in my tank treated by aqua plus. I have 2 clowns and a cleanershrimp and they are the first and only animals in the tank. And also you sholud NOT use LR and Bioballs together. When you are taking the bioballs out to clean etc the LR wont be able to cope alone with the mess and this will cause die off. This can lead to ammonia spikes which can whipe out your tank inhabitance very painfully. They are burned on the gills (ammonia burned) and they die a nasty death.

PaulasPets
12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Yes, like I said, if you use Bioballs they should be cleaned regularly to avoid problems. I'm not sure what you mean with not using Bioballs and LR together. I don't think taking out the Bioballs for cleaning will cause any harm to the LR. However if you are using Bioballs and want to switch to LR filtering, you have to take the Bioballs out a few at a time to prevent getting too much die off on your LR.

Paula

superdart
01-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Spot on there Paula.