PDA

View Full Version : Toys for Oscars?

holbritter
01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Ok, this might be a stupid question, but I've noticed in all the pics around of everyone's Oscar tanks, that they have very little deco in them. Don't the Oscars get bored with so little deco in their tanks?

I read someone uses ping pongs.....how does that work?

I just kinda feel bad for them just swimming back and forth all day, with nothing in there to interest them, but from what I've seen, I have way too much in my tank.

Fishguy2727
01-01-2008, 03:45 PM
The biggest reason for little decor is to prevent low flow spots where debris will build up.

Things like ping pong balls and fishing bobbers make good toys for oscars. Many just like to move small rocks around.

cgcomeaux
01-03-2008, 06:33 AM
these are fish not dogs...lol just kidding.., but i really never heard of giving oscars toys, is this common among oscar keepers. I've had two for about 5 months now? Mine have a large tank with plenty of room to swim, but no toys;(

cocoa_pleco
01-03-2008, 06:35 AM
yep, ping pong balls and fake plants are common. my oscar doesnt really care for moving stuff, but in the 90g i put in some gumball sized rocks and the pacu likes shuffling them

Treerat
01-24-2008, 03:16 AM
I never thought to put a toy in there with my Oscar. His name is Flounder, by the way. The only thing i seen his chase are the feeder minnows i drop in. And they are fast so i guess a little exercise is a good thing before his snack. Maybe I'll try the ping pong ball for a little bit so he'll stop trying to "play" with the Spotted Pike at night.

Treerat
02-03-2008, 12:51 AM
I was gonna get my oscar some toys but now he's grounded. He ate one of my bolivan rams. Bad Oscar, baaad Oscar...

jbeining75
02-03-2008, 12:56 AM
that oscar is an oppurtunistic eater, if hes even a little hungry he will eat anything that can fit in his mouth.... thats not his fault you shouldn't ignore him for that..... Oscars are best kept with other big south american cichlid, ie jacks, red devils, green terrors, other Oscars..... you should have read and know better not to put those rams in there. if you have any other small fish you'd like to keep I suggest you get them outta there or they will be gone very shortly also....

fraggle
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
I haven't given my oscar (Okka) any toys, but he moves the fake plants around, when he's hungry he pulls them up and taps on glass with the bases! LOL, or he spits gravel at the glass. He loves digging holes, digs big holes in it right down to the base of the tank. I think I'll try the ping pong thing too, give him something else to keep him entertained!
I haven't even tried to keep anything that he could swallow in with him, read that they will even try to swallow something that is even a little too big for them, didn't want to risk it. :c12:

OscarFan
02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
I threw a fish bobber in my tank. He liked it for a while but then got bored with it.

Bassfan
02-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Ive heard of taking a bobber and tie it down with fishing line to a rock at the bottom of the tank. I might do that when my oscar gets bigger.

Treerat
02-03-2008, 05:41 AM
He didn't kill the Ram before he ate it. The Cuvier Bichir, Rex, did. Flounder, my Oscar, just took him out like a hero.... sorta. Both are grounded. I had those rams for along time but thats the nature of the beast, I guess. He didnt pay them any mind until Rex found him out of his little hidy hole.

AABatteries
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't given my oscar any toys. But I have a pleco in his tank so he has some1 to talk to.:stongue: