PDA

View Full Version : Dear adf hasn't eaten

jnskthrn
08-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Froggy hasn't eaten or not that I have seen. We have had him probably a week I wanna say? Is it just that he is eating when no one is looking? He is way more active than he used to be and for that I am grateful. He seems to play and hide in my fake plants every now and then. I am feeding him shrimp pellets that I got from walmart. And I am feeding all of them fish included wardley tropical flakes. But I never see him eat either. There was something very strange in the tank this morning too. It was round and looked like it had flapping wings or something on it. Like if you saw a bug and they were flapping their wings so fast they were a blur around the round part. The fish kept nipping at it. What in the heck was it? I can't find it now. Maybe it was just a piece of food, though it was before they were fed. Anyway... Why won't froggy eat?? Thanks in advance all.
Katherine

jnskthrn
08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
OK so I put his food all the way at the back of the tank in the corner where he likes to hide and I walked by and caught him eating. Apparently he doesn't like to eat in the open. So no worries! He is eating. Thanks everyone.
Katherine

William
08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Dwarf frogs can as you discovered be a bit timid and prefer to eat in privacy.

The thing you saw in the tank might have been old food that had attracted fungus.

kimmers318
08-22-2006, 05:54 AM
A tip that seems to work well in my experience with frogs is to always place their food in the same area. I use a small clay dish (like the ones that sit under pots) and drop their food into it. This way they always know where to find it.

jnskthrn
08-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will do that. I did put my daughters little tea cup plate in there that she didn't want any more but I placed it in the middle of the tank and realized real quick he is too shy to eat there. So I am going to place it in the back corner behind the rock where he likes to hide and eat. Thanks for the help I really appreciate the advice. I am so new to all this. Froggy has become my favorite in the aquarium. Though I do really love my daughters betta in her other tank. Anyway.. Thanks again!
Katherine

jnskthrn
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
William,
I had a feeling that the thing I saw in the tank might have been a piece of food. I had just cleaned the tank so I must have stirred it up or missed it during the cleaning process. Tanks a little foggy too after cleaning it which is strange. I think I may be over feeding again. This is so frustrating trying to get it right but I will get it sooner or later. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
Thanks,
Katherine

DemonShark
08-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Might be over feeding

William
08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
yeah it can be frustrating. A role of thumb is not to feed more than they eat in 2-3 min.

jnskthrn
08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just cleaned the tank again and there was a lot of food buried in the gravel that had settled. When I was done I noticed I still hadn't gotten it all cause some was still floating near the filter. Hopefully the filter will take care of it. I am going to not feed them today and feed them tomorrow instead. I noticed even the adf can't even finish one shrimp pellet by himself. Hey I was reading in another post that this person had a betta in with guppies. Can you do that without a fight happening? And could they also live with an adf in the tank? I know bettas are a fighting fish but I would love it if I could put my daughters betta in the ten gallon tank with the guppies and adf. Thanks!
Katherine

DemonShark
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
you can just keep an eye on the betta!