PDA

View Full Version : My Catfish (Pics)

tropfish
12-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Here's my Striped Raphael,my Cories, and my Featherfin. I plan on getting a few more cories btw.

I just noticed that i spelled catfish wrong in the title. oops

Dave66
12-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Trop, those cories look a bit skinny behind the head. What and how often are you feeding them?
Always like the ole Platydoras costatus with the creamy racing stripes. They just get a little too large for me to keep with my little tetras.
Nice shots, by the way.

Dave

tropfish
12-31-2007, 07:54 PM
They get HBH super soft pellets every night and algea wafers every couple days. I think the cichlids are finding them. I've been turning the lights off and then feeding them, but i think im gonna have to turn the light on the side of the room off too. Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Dave66
12-31-2007, 08:04 PM
They get HBH super soft pellets every night and algea wafers every couple days. I think the cichlids are finding them. I've been turning the lights off and then feeding them, but i think im gonna have to turn the light on the side of the room off too. Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Trop,
Mine get little meals three times a day. Pellets staple, live and frozen several times a week. Double the daily HBH, and try to get them that spirolina every evening. Cories are grazers, meaning they are hunting food all day. I use a turkey baster to get food down to them. Keeps the dwarf cichlids and tetras from sniping it.

Dave

tropfish
12-31-2007, 08:07 PM
I also feed the cichlids a staple of floating cichlid pellets and HBH super soft pellets. Since the Blood Parrot have trouble grabbing food from the surface they eat the HBH pellets as they fall and then get them on the substrate. What could i do to prevent this? I'll start feeding them algea wafers every day.

Dave66
12-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I also feed the cichlids a staple of floating cichlid pellets and HBH super soft pellets. Since the Blood Parrot have trouble grabbing food from the surface they eat the HBH pellets as they fall and then get them on the substrate. What could i do to prevent this? I'll start feeding them algea wafers every day.

As I described above, get a turkey baster. You can find 'em in the kitchen utilities in most grocery store and are pretty cheap. Some come with little caps for the spout end, otherwise use your finger to plug it. Scoop up aquarium water, drop in the food, shake it up a bit to mix the food with the water, lower it down to cory level, and gently squeeze out the food. I say gently as squeezing fast scares the fish and usually clogs the nozzle.
There are hundreds of mouths between the top of the tank and the bottom in my cory tanks. Without me using a turkey baster, they'd probably starve.

Dave

Fishalicious
12-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Dave you are a fishkeeper after my heart :malelovies: :malelovies: I didn't know anyone else used turkey baster in aqua's xxx I have been using them for years for everything from cleaning up food in fry tanks - feeding fry and feeding bottom feeders etc.

I did an article a few months back about turkey basters and their use in the aqua but I don't think people really believe it

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 09:23 PM
As I described above, get a turkey baster. You can find 'em in the kitchen utilities in most grocery store and are pretty cheap. Some come with little caps for the spout end, otherwise use your finger to plug it. Scoop up aquarium water, drop in the food, shake it up a bit to mix the food with the water, lower it down to cory level, and gently squeeze out the food. I say gently as squeezing fast scares the fish and usually clogs the nozzle.
There are hundreds of mouths between the top of the tank and the bottom in my cory tanks. Without me using a turkey baster, they'd probably starve.

Dave

A turkey baster is a GREAT idea! Thanks! Now I can get some treats down to the corys!!

mp3rp
12-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Good looking fish. Love the corys.I am Thinking about putting about 6-9 corys in my 10 gallon but im afraid that a 10g would be too small. I would also have to get rid some of my other fish in the tank.