PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Cichlids in a 20 Gallon?

kkevvy
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I have a 20 gallon tank. I like my platies but they reproduce way too quickly and I have about another 15 babies in there. Which I plan on giving to a LFS when they get big enough. And I want tom get rid of my Chinese algae eater, cause he always picks on my dwarf gourami, and get a couple Otto Cats.

So. If I got rid of my platies and algae eater, and got 2 oto cats on top of my dwarf gourami, glass catfish, and Kuhli loach, could I keep a couple, or 3, dwarf cichlids. I really like them alot. I like rams, they're cute.

~Erik3.8.07~
12-31-2007, 07:39 PM
id say you could get a pair of rams and be fine

OscarFan
12-31-2007, 07:40 PM
I think a couple rams would be alright

Dave66
12-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a 20 gallon tank. I like my platies but they reproduce way too quickly and I have about another 15 babies in there. Which I plan on giving to a LFS when they get big enough. And I want tom get rid of my Chinese algae eater, cause he always picks on my dwarf gourami, and get a couple Otto Cats.

So. If I got rid of my platies and algae eater, and got 2 oto cats on top of my dwarf gourami, glass catfish, and Kuhli loach, could I keep a couple, or 3, dwarf cichlids. I really like them alot. I like rams, they're cute.

Rams do best in the lower to mid 80s, say 82 to 86, and up to 90 when breeding, which your other fish won't like. You could probably keep a trio of Rams (One male, two females). You could keep them at 80 degrees. They'll appreciate the plants and the wood.
Glass catfish should be kept in groups of six or more, and if there's a good filter outflow, they will enjoy swimming against it. Chucking that CAE is a very good idea, as his aggression would have only gotten worse, and you would've soon had a dead Dwarf Goramie. Sextet of Otocinclus is better. Easily done in a 20, as they are such little guys.
So, three Rams, six glass catfish, six Otocinclus, your goramie and your loach. If your tank is well established (sounds like it is) you could also add two more kuhli loaches. They, too like being in groups.

Dave

kkevvy
12-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Rams do best in the lower to mid 80s, say 82 to 86, and up to 90 when breeding, which your other fish won't like. You could probably keep a trio of Rams (One male, two females). You could keep them at 80 degrees. They'll appreciate the plants and the wood.
Glass catfish should be kept in groups of six or more, and if there's a good filter outflow, they will enjoy swimming against it. Chucking that CAE is a very good idea, as his aggression would have only gotten worse, and you would've soon had a dead Dwarf Goramie. Sextet of Otocinclus is better. Easily done in a 20, as they are such little guys.
So, three Rams, six glass catfish, six Otocinclus, your goramie and your loach. If your tank is well established (sounds like it is) you could also add two more kuhli loaches. They, too like being in groups.

Dave

Awesome. Thanks a bunch. I think I'll do that. I had 2 more Kuhli Loaches but they both died mysteriously 2 days after I got them. My filter outflow is good, its an Aquaclear 30 going in there and at night I see the catfish swimming against it. My tank is well established and has a bunch of plants, all real, except for one. Thanks a bunch for your help. I'll definately look into this.

kkevvy
12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Alright so I think I'm going to call a local LFS on Wednesday and ask if they want 2 healthy adult platys, as well as 3 juveniles, and get rid of my algae eater. Then I'll raise the fry to a good size and give them too. Then, I'll get some Otto Cats and some Rams. I'm considering not getting any more glass catfish and also getting rid of the one I have. I'll get 2-3 more kuhli loaches though. Get 3 rams, and 6 neon tetras, to draw the Rams out. I'll figure it out more later on.

~Erik3.8.07~
12-31-2007, 10:27 PM
My filter outflow is good, its an Aquaclear 30 going in there

if i were you i would also upgrade to at least an ac50 for a fully stocked tank

kkevvy
12-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Ya think? it already does 150 GPH.

kkevvy
01-03-2008, 05:45 PM
On other news, what are some good full plants I could use in my new Ram aquarium? I had planned on ordering some Glosso but that was before I decided to get rams, who like more full plants. So I kept a big open space in the front side of my aquarium to put the glosso but it seems that I dont want it, so I can rearrange some smaller plants I have for it to look more aquascaped, so to speak.

My tank is 20 gallons, 65 watt 10000k lighting, Co2 injection, 60/40 flourite/gravel substrate, with twice weekly ferts. I like Najas guadalupensis (http://digilander.libero.it/lizardking72/100_2170.jpg)

The driftwood in the pic will be covered with java moss shortly, as well. This was taken with phone, so the quality isn't great. Also don't mind the piece of slate on the driftwood to help keep it down :]. Notice the open spot. The rock structure you see will also be moved to my 10 gallon tank for the puffers, and I will put in it's place a terracotta pot to maybe get some spawnin action... hehe.

squirt_12
01-03-2008, 05:53 PM
how about some red ludwigia http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/media/ludwigiaovalis.jpg

here is a place where you can go and look at ALOT of plants and see what all they need. You can also type in what you want in the Plant FInder Index at the top of the page.http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

YaYgoldFish
01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Tank looks nice! Although your calendar is a bit off.:14:

kkevvy
01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Tank looks nice! Although your calendar is a bit off.:14:

Thanks! haha yeah it is. Its a Farside calendar and I just happened to like that one, so I kept it on January of 5 years ago... haha

Incredulous_Ed
01-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Add some rotala rotundifolia. Looks really nice, grows very fast.

fishfanatic33
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
add some anubias barteri it grows fast and when it is big it is a nice centerpiece plant

kkevvy
01-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow! For the life of me I cannot find Rams, except for golden rams in one store. I've been to 5 LFS's, and all of them carry African Cichlids but barely carry any SA Cichlids. You'd think the smaller, independent stores would carry SA Cichlids because the PetSmart and Petco carry primarily African Cichlids. But apparentely not. With the exception of Blood Parrots and Angelfish (who are beautiful and I would get them the second I got a larger 55+ gallon tank).

I would get the Golden Rams but I really like German Blue rams... if I could find them. Theres a few LFS's here that I haven't been too but will call. I'd rather buy them locally then risk the shipping. It's been slow lately and I don't want two dead rams coming in the mail! Maybe I can special order them from one of the LFS's.

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Try www.twofishguyz.com

They have very high quality rams that were bred in germany and not asia.

kkevvy
01-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Try www.twofishguyz.com

For that site, when they say pair, are you paying for two fish or one fish? Cause I assume they'd mean a male and a female. But its hard to tell sometimes, being all crazy and german and all :c2: lol

Incredulous_Ed
01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
they mean two fish, guaranteed male and female.

SkarloeysMom
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Try www.twofishguyz.com

Have you ordered Blue Rams from them before? I'm interested but not sure if I should order since they do not guarantee a pair and their "arrive alive" guarantee does not include the shipping cost. If for some reason I got a dead one I'd be out the $30 in shipping.

So far I've only found one place that has Blue Rams and they are $20 a piece. They're out of them now so I'll have to wait a while and keep looking around.

kkevvy
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I hear ya... mom. lol

I really like these little guys http://www.twofishguyz.com/shop//photos/Triplered_full.jpg

so cute!

But yeah, 55 dollars for two freshwater fish is kind of alot, seeing as the Gold Rams at that other LFS were 4 bucks a piece. I dunno what to do, haha.

SkarloeysMom
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Well, I can't believe it! I just found a not so LFS in a little bitty town that has Blue Rams for $8.99 each and they are locally bred! Of course I'll have to drive over 50 miles to get them. Can fish survive a drive that long? It would be all smooth interstate highway, not dirt roads or anything. The weather is supposed to be quite unseasonably warm for a while so I wouldn't worry too much about them getting too chilly while we were driving back.

Incredulous_Ed
01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, I can't believe it! I just found a not so LFS in a little bitty town that has Blue Rams for $8.99 each and they are locally bred! Of course I'll have to drive over 50 miles to get them. Can fish survive a drive that long? It would be all smooth interstate highway, not dirt roads or anything. The weather is supposed to be quite unseasonably warm for a while so I wouldn't worry too much about them getting too chilly while we were driving back.
Well, I would place the bag in a styrofoam ice box to keep the heat there.

kevvy, it's inportant to get rams from a quality breeder, because most are mass bred in asia in unhealthy conditions, and they have serious helth problems. Most die in a few weeks.

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 02:44 AM
kevvy, it's inportant to get rams from a quality breeder, because most are mass bred in asia in unhealthy conditions, and they have serious helth problems. Most die in a few weeks.

Yeah, thats what I figured would happen. Pretty crappy situation over here. I'll contact one of the LFS's here, if they can special order them.

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Well I searched through the phone book and found 5 places that might have them 3 of them are aquarium only and what not. So I'll call them tomorrow, see what I can dig up.

Incredulous_Ed
01-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Let us know how it goes.

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Awesome! So the second place I called, I talked to the guy who does all the freshwater ordering. I asked him if they carried any German Blue Rams and he said that they actually have a local breeder that they get them from, which is great. So he's gonna talk to that guy and get back to me on availability and what not.

I can't believe theres a huge all-aquarium store like 30 minutes away from me!

SkarloeysMom
01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Awesome! So the second place I called, I talked to the guy who does all the freshwater ordering. I asked him if they carried any German Blue Rams and he said that they actually have a local breeder that they get them from, which is great. So he's gonna talk to that guy and get back to me on availability and what not.

I can't believe theres a huge all-aquarium store like 30 minutes away from me!

That is GREAT! Its awesome that they have a local breeder too. I think many smart shops are heading in that direction because they realize that ordering the cheap ones from Asia is just more trouble than its worth. They probably get much more customer disatisfaction than they do money with the Asian imports.

kkevvy
01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
That is GREAT! Its awesome that they have a local breeder too. I think many smart shops are heading in that direction because they realize that ordering the cheap ones from Asia is just more trouble than its worth. They probably get much more customer disatisfaction than they do money with the Asian imports.

I agree. Thats why I was hesitant on buying those cheap Rams. I feel bad for them, yes, but chances are they'd have to be quarantined for a month in a hospital tank with pimafix and melafix everyday, and that might not even be enough. Sad, but I'm glad that shops are going the local way. Better, healthier fish. And I certainly wouldn't mind paying an extra 20-30 bucks for two healthy, beautiful fish that support local breeders as opposed to over-seas interests.

kkevvy
01-12-2008, 03:32 AM
The guy I called, called me back today when I was at work. He left me a message, and he said they just picked up 20 assorted male and female german blues. I'll call him tomorrow and probably make the trip.

SkarloeysMom
01-12-2008, 04:18 AM
The guy I called, called me back today when I was at work. He left me a message, and he said they just picked up 20 assorted male and female german blues. I'll call him tomorrow and probably make the trip.

Hope your trip is successful and you find some good, healthy Rams. Can't wait to see the pictures!!

I still haven't gotten it together to go get mine. I have to clean my tank tomorrow and then maybe I'll call the shop and see if they have what I'm looking for.

Incredulous_Ed
01-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Pretty cool!