PDA

View Full Version : Fake anemone - clownfish

Tigerbarb
12-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I know where I can purchase a fake rubber sea anemone that is soft, and would even sway with a powerhead's current. Would a clownfish atleast be sort of satisfied with a fake anemone? I have heard anemones are not a must for clownfish, so I think a clownfish would enjoy a fake anemone more that not having an anemone at all.
Here is a link to the company that made the anemone>> http://www.naturesimageonline.com/RetailerDefault.htm

~Erik3.8.07~
12-31-2007, 04:30 PM
link didnt work

edit: nevermind my computers just dumb

edit again: i dont know really, he might take to it he might not, clowns take to anemones to feel safe from predators, but since there shouldnt be any predators in your tank, he should still feel pretty safe

Tigerbarb
12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
lol. I think I fixed it.

Rue
12-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I've read a couple of reviews in favour of rubber anemones for when you don't want a real one...but not all clowns will take to them.

Tigerbarb
12-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Would the ocellaris clown fish commonly enjoy a rubber anemone? Because I really enjoy seeing clownfish swim in and out of an anemone and it is my favorite type of clownfish.

cocoa_pleco
01-01-2008, 06:50 PM
i dont think so, not all clowns will accept the fake ones.

~Erik3.8.07~
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
i dont think so, not all clows will accept the fake ones.

ya i would think that they could feel or sence that its fake, therefore giving them no sence of security cause they know it wont sting there predators, rendering it useless to the clown

Drumachine09
01-01-2008, 06:56 PM
A lot of clowns in captivity won't host an anemone, regardless if it is real or fake.

cocoa_pleco
01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
actually, tigerbarb, what size tank are you getting? if its a 55g+ with medium-high light you could try a green bubble tip anemone. ive got one but my pink skunk clown doesnt care for it

Tigerbarb
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I am aiming for a nano reef, so I don't think I will be getting a real anemone.

cocoa_pleco
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
if the tanks a nano its best not to get a anemone, almost all need a 55g+ tank

Tigerbarb
01-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I think i will stick to buying corals instead.

Tigerbarb
01-04-2008, 05:27 AM
What should I do If I buy live rock and happen to have an anemone come with it by hitchhiking? Would you reccomend selling it to a fish store or keeping it?

coachfraley
01-04-2008, 05:53 AM
If you do get an anemone on your LR, it would probably be one of the "pest" anemones, and I doubt that anyone would want to buy it.

Getting your clowns to host can take a long time, and can be very frustrating for aquarists who expect immediate results. My clown pair hosted a powerhead for about 5 months, and now (within the last 2 days)they are starting to host my sinularia coral as soon as the lights go out. You can try all you want, but the clowns will ultimately decide when and what to host.

If you know that going in, you should be fine.

Tigerbarb
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
If I get a 'pest' anemone, what should I do with it? Should I keep it in the tank? I do love watching anemones sway with the current of powerheads. I don't think I would ever want to kill an un-wanted organism.