PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Blue Ram breeder

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm wondering how to find a good Blue Ram breeder in my area. I live in central Texas. How do you find Rams that are not imported from Asia?

~Erik3.8.07~
12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
hmmm idk, maybe you could try asking your lfs if they know of any breeders or yellow pages maybe?

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes! something I know alot about! How much are the rams in your area? I noticed that rams that cost about 5 dollars are really cheap, so dont buy them unless ou want dead fish. Rams that are upward of 10-15 dollars are better. Sometimes you can tell if they are hormone injected or not by looking at their colors. If therer are juveniles showing breeding colors, pass them up, because they have been hormone injected. If you see juveniles with somewhat of a white background with only the blue dots and black stripes, they are probably not injected. The main rule is that if the rams are showing their best colors in a store, where they are very likely to be stressed from the move, they are injected. Also ask the owner how long the rams have been there, how past rams have fared, if he had kept any of these rams, etc. If they are not unaturally colorful, but they are healthy looking, you can try bringing some home. Treat them for internal parasites right away, using medicated food, or garlic. Keep the temp around 85, to avoid health problems. Feed them very high quality food, like NLS.

Or you can get some bred in germany from this website: www.twofishguyz.com

They are high quality from that guy, and they are not injected with any kind of hormone.

Fishalicious
12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
I breed them and have a brood of over about 56 (what I can count) at the moment... I have broods every 3-4 months. But I believe shipping over to Texas would not be worth it cost wise. Maybe try googling around a bit for breeders in the US... it really is worth it :11:

fishfanatic33
12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Or you can get some bred in germany from this website: www.twofishguyz.com

They are high quality from that guy, and they are not injected with any kind of hormone.
Yea if you cant find any locally,give twofishguyz a try. Ive heard good things about them

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks Ed!! So far I've only found one store in town that has Blue Rams. They are advertised as "Homegrown" and the person in the store said they are bred here in Texas and the breeder brings them in every month or 2. They only had 1 pair left and they were $20 each!!! When they spoke to me I detected a slight Texas accent so I'm pretty sure the guy's telling the truth about them being Texas natives. HAHA! JK.

The store employee also said that they used to get pond raised Blue Rams from FLA but that they have stopped since 1/4 would die on arrival and about another 1/4 would die within the 2 day guarantee period they give. He said they have not had any problems with the Homegrown ones he gets. They don't always have them though. The 2 that were left have been there maybe 2 weeks and they look to be in very good healthy. I have to say that they were QUITE colorful and may be getting ready to breed because the female had a rosy little belly. It was very easy to tell male from female just like Jess said. I had to slap my hand over my mouth to keep from telling the guy to bag those puppies up right then and there. But seriously, I'm gonna wait and make sure everything is right before I buy them. Like my DH says, "Fail to plan, plan to fail!" I'm going to work on cleaning and rearranging my tank to include a new cave for them first. That should keep me happily busy until a new shipment comes in.

I stopped by another shop today too that opened up last summer and they were already shut down due to not paying their rent. I had a feeling they wouldn't last long when I noticed how long it was taking them to get set up and how disorganized they were. I got a lot of NICE wood and rocks for them for practically nothing though. I also stopped by a shop I've never been to before that's about 20 minutes from my house and damn if they weren't closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Maybe I'll call them on Wednesday and get the rap from them too.

I'm so stoked on Cichlids now! They are SO beautiful.

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I breed them and have a brood of over about 56 (what I can count) at the moment... I have broods every 3-4 months. But I believe shipping over to Texas would not be worth it cost wise. Maybe try googling around a bit for breeders in the US... it really is worth it :11:

As much as I'd love to get them from you, your right about the shipping. Maybe when I take you up on that offer for a European vacation I can pick some up!:ezpi_wink1:

fishfanatic33
12-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Ha for twenty dollars each Id say they are safe. My lfs doesnt import at all(at least the majority arent)and they are $18.00 each

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 07:44 PM
That's a very good price for an almost breeding pair! I say make sure your tank is ready for rams and get them. If they were bred locally in texas you should have no problem.

Also, consider adding some live plants, and unsealed driftwood.

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, maybe I've found my source then. Man, that was easy!! I don't want to rush into it though and I think the price is always the same so I'll work on my tank and get a couple from the next bunch they get in. Or maybe those 2 will still be there when I'm done getting the tank ready.

Oh, I gotta go switch the rest of my gravel to sand...bye!!

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Remember to raise the temp to around 85f, otherwise they may have health problems.

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Remember to raise the temp to around 85f, otherwise they may have health problems.

Will that be ok for the rest of my community - corys and rasboras?

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 08:06 PM
probably. Just remember to change it slowly.

Fishalicious
12-31-2007, 09:21 PM
I have my Rams at 77 and they are thriving (read breeding like mad) you have the extra of asking the breeder at what temp he keeps them at :c3:

I wouldn't charge you for the Rams by the way just the shipping... I cannot believe they fetch 20 bucks over there!!!!!! Maybe I need to pack up and move over there LOL I sell them for 5 dollars a piece - 8 dollars a couple

fishfanatic33
12-31-2007, 09:34 PM
I have my Rams at 77 and they are thriving (read breeding like mad) you have the extra of asking the breeder at what temp he keeps them at :c3:

I wouldn't charge you for the Rams by the way just the shipping... I cannot believe they fetch 20 bucks over there!!!!!! Maybe I need to pack up and move over there LOL I sell them for 5 dollars a piece - 8 dollars a couple
Oh Man!! that really cheap:18: !! I'll have to remember you for when I get some more tanks:11:

Fishalicious
12-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Pinky's eggs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/DSC03237.jpg

Now they are free swimming
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/DSC03246.jpg

Thought you might like to see these.... I love my Rams so much .. defo a pair of my faves

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
5 dollars??? that's a crazy good price. Th eones for 5 dollars over here are super bad quality, with all these deformities, and they are all sickly.

Tolley
12-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Fish you should write an article on your site about breeding em :ezpi_wink1:

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Jess, is it harder to breed them or to find quality sepcimens?

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 10:07 PM

OMG! 8 dollars a couple!! and I have to pay 40 to get good couple here. That is probably because only the best (most expensive) fish shop in town has them. They have a corner on the market here I guess. There are very few fish shops here.

I might try San Antonio, a much bigger city. There is also a Cichlid club that might be able to point me in the right direction.

SkarloeysMom
12-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Pinky's eggs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/DSC03237.jpg

Now they are free swimming
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/DSC03246.jpg

Thought you might like to see these.... I love my Rams so much .. defo a pair of my faves

That's AMAZING!! Did Pinky lay those eggs on a piece of wood?

Fishalicious
12-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah she and hubby cleaned the root at the bottom of the driftwood.... but they moved the eggs 3 times with their mouths 3 times til they were happy LOL

You need healthy Rams to breed as many mass breeders will take away the eggs from the parents - the babies are then raised artificially and fed on colored foods & antibiotics to make them bigger quicker so they can sell them quicker... it also takes away all of their breeding instincts...if they should lay eggs they usually are very bad parents and eat the eggs or young within days - very sad.

With this breed it is really important to find a good breeder where the babies have been raised with the parents and raised naturally.

The mass bred ones are hard to age as their size has been sped up - they usually are also extremely weak and die very quickly in a perfect tank which puzzles many fishkeepers as they do everything right.

I am soooooooooo happy you are going down the right route to find some SkarloeysMom xxxx

SkarloeysMom
01-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Yeah she and hubby cleaned the root at the bottom of the driftwood.... but they moved the eggs 3 times with their mouths 3 times til they were happy LOL

You need healthy Rams to breed as many mass breeders will take away the eggs from the parents - the babies are then raised artificially and fed on colored foods & antibiotics to make them bigger quicker so they can sell them quicker... it also takes away all of their breeding instincts...if they should lay eggs they usually are very bad parents and eat the eggs or young within days - very sad.

With this breed it is really important to find a good breeder where the babies have been raised with the parents and raised naturally.

The mass bred ones are hard to age as their size has been sped up - they usually are also extremely weak and die very quickly in a perfect tank which puzzles many fishkeepers as they do everything right.

I am soooooooooo happy you are going down the right route to find some SkarloeysMom xxxx

It is simply amazing how Cichlids breed and raise their own young. If more amazing and very sad too that messing with that natural cycle can turn them into bad parents and produce weak offspring. Thank you again for this information. I do like to learn as much as I can before I try to keep a new fish. I don't want to make an animal suffer because I don't know what I'm doing. I started out that way in fishkeeping and I won't do it again.

DUHK
02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey, I'm from Texas too!! Houston.

I have also been looking VERY VERY VERY hard for a nice pair of german blue rams. Enough where I feel like giving up. :( It's so hard to find a healthy and beautiful pair of rams. I have tried buying once from a place called fish gallery. The rams look beautiful in the tank but once home. They became faint in color and eventually died the next morning. :( I checked my water parameters and it was as close to perfect as you could get. I live in houston, and there aren't many places that sell GBR. One place I went to had them but the next week, most of them were gone. I'm not sure if they had died or they were all bought. Seems unlikely they were all bought because in such a short time, so many were gone.

Now I have kept looking online for good breeders, but can't find any. The rams I have seen don't really look that nice. They look like the wild kind and not very colorful. I hope I can find some help as well from you guys! Thanks!

Algenco
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
how many do you want?

Did you notice this thread is over 2yrs old

DUHK
02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I really didn't notice. I was searching on google and the moment I saw something close to people who could help me find a good pair. I immediately signed up and posted. :(

I would definitely love a pair of male and female. I've been looking for them all over. But either they are hormone injected and die the next day or they just look so bland and more like the type you see in the wild or bolivian rams.

Do you know where I could find a pair?

Thanks,
Duc

Algenco
02-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I breed Rams and have long fin GBR and Electric blues

DUHK
02-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Although I'd love to get some information on where to get regular rams, do you have any pictures of yours? :)