PDA

View Full Version : Great, guess whats here?

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I just got back from vacation, only to find my first green algae- some on the wood, but that looks nice and natural, some on each side (i only wiped the front), and long string of it across the aquarium- i removed that. I only had some diatoms before i left, but now there is BOTH! Should I get a bristlenose pleco? My LFS doesnt sell otos- only SAE's. Are those any good?

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I got it on my wood just once. Took a scrub brush to it and it didn't come back. Algaes love a tank that has been set back in it's cycle or just getting a footing. With your mention of diatoms, I have to think you tank is just recently cycled?

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
if you mean 4 months after cycling is recent, then thats what it is. Its not real wood, but it looks like it. i just call it wood. I like it on there though, but the really bad stuff is on the plants, (real) rocks and gravel. I would like an algae eater though....

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Will someone please answer? Sorry im impatient- i am going to the LFS as soon as i know if a SAE is good or bad.

EDIT: I just found out that i am thinking of the flying fox thats bad. These are the good guys!

YaYgoldFish
12-31-2007, 05:34 PM
SAE's are good.

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Ha! ninja EDIT! Thanks anyway!

squirt_12
12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
otos would work....would they not??

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 06:18 PM
I say no to SAE. A bristlenose pleco would be much better.

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 07:08 PM
otos would work....would they not?? See, if my LFS had those, i would definately get them, but they dont have them. Thats why i asked. Ed, so get a bristlenose? I know they have those too.

smaug
12-31-2007, 08:07 PM
I have 2 SAE they are killer algae eaters.They are also smaller then plecs and dont add the big bioload.They are also much less clumsy and far less prone to damage plants.

tropfish
12-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Sae's or a BN pleco would be good. I would go with the Pleco personally because i just like the way they look lol.

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, i already got the BN. We will see how this goes!

Dave66
12-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Maybe I'm more than just a little odd, but I don't mind a little algae on the wood or a stone. The algae helps purify the water, it gives the herbivores something to nibble on and it looks more natural to me.
I don't get much because my tanks are rift with live plants, but a little here and there I kind of like.

Dave

shockshockshad
12-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Yes, i like it on the wood and rocks too, but not covering the plants. I dont know why i am getting it- i have a lot of live plants to use up nutrients. I dont have any herbivores- i only have omnivores. Well, they eat greens, so i guess they are herbivores too. I only have 1 pleco, so hopefully they can get algae too.