PDA

View Full Version : Super cyanobacteria

Incredulous_Ed
12-30-2007, 04:08 AM
Well,, I've had this for a few weeks but never really noticed how bad it was. Yesterday I planted all these great looking lilaeopsis brasiliensis. This morning, There was all this cyano on the gravel near the plant, with some climbing up the leaves. I took some air tubing and siphoned most of it, then I did a good gravel vacuuming. That was around noon. 7 hours later, it was back! I did the same thing. How the heck do I control this? The tank is a 20g with 65w of CF lighting.

Algenco
12-30-2007, 04:52 AM
sounds as though you are doing it right, CO2 helps, water movement, I have heard of some people having to treat with antibiotics. Have you tried peroxide? Squirt directly on the spots

Incredulous_Ed
12-30-2007, 05:23 AM
hydrogen peroxide? will that harm the fish?

If I buy a smal powerhead and direct it toward the foreground plants, will that make them grow weaker?

Algenco
12-30-2007, 05:29 AM
current seems to help eliminate it. peroxide won't harm fish, I have used up to 5 ml per gal killing algae and hydra. Turn off filters for 5 minutes or so. Some paople do a wc after, but I don't, I have had a few plants that didn't like it

Incredulous_Ed
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Wait a sec, wont the current cause brush algae?

Fishalicious
12-31-2007, 07:13 PM
If it is getting that bad that you cannot control it with siphoning & water changes then I really would try an antibiotic. Colombo do a great one here and I have had very good responses from customers where it has not bothered the fish at all...