PDA

View Full Version : Feeding corys.

YaYgoldFish
12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
If i feed my fish nutrafin maxicro pellets, will the corys find them? Im worried they wont and put in half a sinking shrimp pellets, but after a few hours theirs still a little left, are they eating enough? I have three 2 inch ones and 2 almost an inch ones.

Also if their all different variations, except two, will they breed?

blu
12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
The corys should find any food that falls to the bottom. How many times a day do you feed? Half a shrimp pellet for 5 corys doesnt seem like quite enough unless they are getting some food from what drops from the other fish. And the corys will not breed together if they are not the same kind but they should still breed with their own kind as long as they are in good condtions and you have males and females.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Cories eat insect larvae, aquatic worms and small crustaceans in nature, so a captive diet should mimic that. Frozen black mosquito larvae, bloodworms and Daphnia should be given three or four times a week (not all three at once, of course). A cory never met a worm it didn't like, so if you can get ahold of some live California black worms, they'll love them.
A mix of prepared and frozen foods is the best diet for your cories.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Great reply dave, thank you, as well as Blu. I gave them frozen bloodworms yesterday(for the fish) but i dont think i saw them eat it, probably since i only looked a few minutes. When i put in the micro pellets for fish they seem to get some, and I put in fry food ( almost dust) in one spot and most of them hovered and ate it all. Would earthworms, silkworms, mealworms work? These are probably the only ting i can get except for the frozen blood worms. Thanks for the responses.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Great reply dave, thank you, as well as Blu. I gave them frozen bloodworms yesterday(for the fish) but i dont think i saw them eat it, probably since i only looked a few minutes. When i put in the micro pellets for fish they seem to get some, and I put in fry food ( almost dust) in one spot and most of them hovered and ate it all. Would earthworms, silkworms, mealworms work? These are probably the only ting i can get except for the frozen blood worms. Thanks for the responses.

Its kind of grody, but you could cut up live earthworms for them. Best place to get them is bait shops. Get red worms that people use to catch sunfish. They are pretty small. Meal worms can work if they are small enough. Easiest way to get the food past the fish down to the cories is to use a turkey baster. Just fill it with tank water, drop in the food, and gently squeeze it out to them.
You could easily culture the red worms yourself. PM me and I'll tell you how. I'll also give you other easy feeding options.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Ive sent you a Pm already, but you could post them in there if you dont mind, Id love to hear your tips.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Ive sent you a Pm already, but you could post them in there if you dont mind, Id love to hear your tips.

OK, but it'll take a while. Buy two new, clean cat litter pans. Drill two half-inch holes in the bottom of one. Fill it with fertlizer-free topsoil about half way up. Take a sheet or two white paper or cardboard, soak them in a sink or container over night, then tear them into inch-long pieces and mix them completely and evenly with the soil. Let the mix dry for a day. Then put a sheet of cardboard or a piece of glass on top of the soil so an inch or two of the dirt is visible on all sides. Go buy some worms; two or three cans. Make sure they are red worms (Eisenia foetida) because they reproduce fast. Stay away from night-crawlers, as they take an age to reproduce. Just put the worms in their bedding on the top of the soil.
Put the other pan under the dirt-filled one. Its there to catch the liquid offal from the worms. As an aside, if you mix the liquid with water and use it on house plants, they'll grow like mad.
You'll need a piece of wood or something similar to put on top of the top pan edge. Put the culture in a cool, dark place. Make sure the soil stays moist, not wet, moist. I use a household sprayer.
After a day, you can start feeding them. A few fish-food pellets, organic matter like banana peels, apple cores, nearly anything vegetative they'll eat. If you google around you can find earthworm food. Just mix the foods in the soil in the top inch of it. The worms collect under the cardboard or glass. You just pick a likely number off and feed your fish.
Ain't rocket science. You just need a cool (like 70 degrees) dark place for them.
Mine are in cabinets in my cool basement. Just feed them once a week, keep the soil moist.

Dave

Dave66
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
OK, cory foods. Freeze-dried tubifex. Try to get a can of them that are loose, not in cubes. They are very cheap. You emulsify (more than moisten, less than wet) the dry worms in any liquid vitamin or lipid preparation. I use Kent Zoe for the vitamins spirolina, Selco and Super Selco for the Omega 3s and 6s, and fresh squeezed garlic juice (I use a press) for general maintenance and parasite elimination in new fish. You can do this with any loose freeze-dried foods, as well as pelleted foods. You're aiming for complete nutrition with your fish. The more variety, the better.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Im going to read it in a sec, but could you empty your mailbox? lol thanks.

YaYgoldFish
12-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Alright, I read it all..Where do you find the Kent Zoe and Selco products? Your lfs?

Dave66
12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Alright, I read it all..Where do you find the Kent Zoe and Selco products? Your lfs?

Here: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6078

and here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4989&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&N=2004&Ntt=kent%20zoe&Np=1

The former is where about 90 percent of my equipment comes from. I don't have a LFS within hours of me.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
12-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks, and since yuor posting links, do you know of any online store where they ship to Canada and the shipping wouldnt be too bad? I tried Big Als but they seemed to only ship in the US and live aquaria doesn't have what I need. I'm buying a python and NLS online, just looking for a good place.