PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Oto

SkarloeysMom
12-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Bummer! This morning I looked at the 20g and my Oto was stuck to the filter intake. When I got him out he was kind of missing about half his body that was up against the intake. He was in a weird bent up position like he was sucked into it. I not sure that's what happened but he has been acting normal and eating happily until today. DH's first though was the wc with the new Python killed him but I don't think so. What a bummer! Poor little Dietter.:ssad:

NickFish
12-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Sorry to hear that
I had that happen once to one of my pregnant guppies. She got to fat to swim away from the suction. It's so sad to see them all bent up and deformed but you can learn from that mistake. Don't turn your filter to maximum suction when you have fish under 3" in your tank.

mp3rp
12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Bummer....... thats the second Oto this week. Someone else on the forum lost their Oto on Christmas Eve.

SkarloeysMom
12-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Bummer....... thats the second Oto this week. Someone else on the forum lost their Oto on Christmas Eve.

Yes, it was NickP. He was totally surprised by his loss too. I've had some bad luck with Otos. I think I'll give them a rest for a while, again. I'm just really glad that all my other fish are doing just fine. Knock wood.

SkarloeysMom
12-29-2007, 03:56 PM
She got to fat to swim away from the suction. It's so sad to see them all bent up and deformed but you can learn from that mistake. Don't turn your filter to maximum suction when you have fish under 3" in your tank.

I've had my filter on max since July and I've never had this problem. It really makes me wonder if he wasn't already in a weaken state or something but he seemed perfectly healthy and then kaput. I hate to reduce the flow because the water wouldn't turn over as much. Maybe I should just add one of those prefilters. You think that would do the trick?

GM72, what's the name of those prefilters you use on all your filters?

mp3rp
12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I hate it when a fish dies and there is no explanation for its death.

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 04:58 PM
sorry to hear about your oto. They will just die for no reason all of the time.

OscarFan
12-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear that

Fishalicious
12-30-2007, 12:40 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss - RIP Dietter xxxxx

Nick_Pavlovski
12-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Sorry that you lost the Oto.
Your situation sounds similar to Megan's, where her Oto got stuck in the filter...
Try putting some plastic mosquito netting around the filter?