PDA

View Full Version : 10G Planted - Need Info

spudbuds
12-29-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm in the process of setting up a 10g tank and I decided to try my hand with plants. I have a 19W fluorescent light fixture and standard gravel substrate. I found this package of plants and they all look pretty nice to a beginner. I tried asking about some of these plants in my "Tank Setup" thread, but I figured I'd get a better response here.

http://www.azgardens.com/habitats_easy.php

So far in my research, I've found some info that makes me question why they are in the "easy" package. Here's the plants I've got questions about and what I've found the requirement to be:

blood stargrass - high light
red-spot ozelot sword - nutrient rich substrate
ambulia - good light and nutrient rich substarte

Can anyone confirm these findings?

Also, I can't find any information on the japanese fans or the dwarf lily plant. Can someone provide some info?

I'm also considering some java fern and some red ludwiga, but I have some more research to do.

Thanks,
- Bill

Incredulous_Ed
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, I would skip the bloodgrass, it probably wouldn't groe very well in that light. The ambulia is actually a goos beginners plant, so it mayor may not grow well. I dont think you have enough lighter for the sword though.
Dont get a dwarf lily. They need tons of light and plenty of nutrients.
Japanese fans are actualy a bog plant and will grow better in a pond than in the aquarium.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 10:54 PM
If you hunt around the archive, there are three things I wrote on sword plants, cryptocorynes and stem plants. There's also a list floating around that I wrote for Lady Hobbs that shows which plants grow in which light. Those posts will give you an idea what you can and can't keep.

Dave

spudbuds
12-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad I did a little bit of research before I bought that package of plants.

I'll go searching for your stuff Dave.