PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

Bassfan
12-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Ok, whats the proper way of feeding an ocar? Like how much do i give? right now i have hikari cichlid gold mini pellets i think they are called. The pellets arent that big. So my 2 main questions are, How much/how do you properly feed an oscar and what is a good brand of food?? Ive heard the NLS and Hikari bio-gold but im not sure of the NLS. theres many different types of it and if someone could post a link to the proper NLS for my oscar that would be great. thanks. right now im feeding my oscar till i can see his stomach is bigger which im not sure is the right way. oh and i feed the same type of food to my peru severum. and its a floating pellet.

Fishguy2727
12-29-2007, 04:43 AM
That is a good amount, until his stomach bulges a little.

For NLS pay attention to the size and whether it sinks or floats. I would only feed NLS, it really is the best.

Feeding depends on size. While they are small they need to be fed more often. How big is it?

Dave66
12-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Ok, whats the proper way of feeding an ocar? Like how much do i give? right now i have hikari cichlid gold mini pellets i think they are called. The pellets arent that big. So my 2 main questions are, How much/how do you properly feed an oscar and what is a good brand of food?? Ive heard the NLS and Hikari bio-gold but im not sure of the NLS. theres many different types of it and if someone could post a link to the proper NLS for my oscar that would be great. thanks. right now im feeding my oscar till i can see his stomach is bigger which im not sure is the right way. oh and i feed the same type of food to my peru severum. and its a floating pellet.

Adult Oscars should be fed once a day. In nature, they eat crustaceans, insects, and worms. The more different kinds of food you feed your Oscar the better he will be. NLS, Hikari, Danichi are good brands. Also make sure you give him some vegetables like thawed peas, peeled apple slices and things like that. Also, there are frozen foods for large omnivores like your Oscar. Herbivore foods are also good for him.
Juvenile Oscars should be fed twice a day. Serve no more than your Oscar can consume in a minute.

Dave

OscarFan
12-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Here we go
daily scedule
Morning 4-7 "Gold" pellets
some cichlid flakes
and a tubifex cube
night
5 pellets
flakes
and bloodworms or krill every other day
and the occasional leftover fishing bait.
and snails once a week

TowBoater
12-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I feed mine in the afternoon and mine gets frozen food (variety) and Cichlid gold (mini floating), Cichlid gold (medium sinking), and cichlid bio-gold (mini floating). This variety has made my oscar grow like mad. He also gets krill every now and then and live feeder guppies once a week.

Fishguy2727
12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
When you run out of the Hikari I would suggest trying NLS. He will do a lot better on it. And with NLS they actually do best without any variety.

Arkie
12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
my oscars get fed twice daily on a floating cichlid pellet - brand im not sure of, its the same my local pet shop uses though. then some krill or flake. every second day or so they get earthworms and once a week they get feeder fish. they seem happy with this arrangement and are all growing fast and look very healthy.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 11:00 PM
my oscars get fed twice daily on a floating cichlid pellet - brand im not sure of, its the same my local pet shop uses though. then some krill or flake. every second day or so they get earthworms and once a week they get feeder fish. they seem happy with this arrangement and are all growing fast and look very healthy.

That's an excellent diet, Arkie. You're doing a good job varying the fare. That's why you Oscars are doing so well.

Dave

Arkie
12-29-2007, 11:17 PM
thanx dave, im glad im doing the right thing for them. im absolutely addicted to oscars and im trying to provide the best conditions for them. im hoping that i eventually have two that will pair up and give me the joy of being an oscar granmummy lol. :luxlove:

Dave66
12-29-2007, 11:23 PM
thanx dave, im glad im doing the right thing for them. im absolutely addicted to oscars and im trying to provide the best conditions for them. im hoping that i eventually have two that will pair up and give me the joy of being an oscar granmummy lol. :luxlove:

LoL Arkie. I don't think you want the hassle of breeding them, as they lay about 2,000 eggs and are great parents. Well-nigh impossible to sell the hundreds and hundreds of fry (don't ask how I know this).

Dave

Arkie
12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
ok dave i wont ask but im guessing maybe you know from personal experience lol? :ezpi_wink1:

Fishguy2727
12-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Where do you get the feeder fish?
Try and find out what type of pellets they are. Some LFSs use and sell the best, some simply use the cheapest (and crappiest).

Bassfan
12-30-2007, 02:02 AM
Ok so im feeding him the right amount. But if i can i rather get a different brand of food soon as possible. Fishguy could you possibly post a link to a place that has the exact NLS i will need for my oscar?? hes under 5" i think.

Fishguy2727
12-30-2007, 02:10 AM
I would go with the Jumbo Fish Formula. It is a 4.5mm floating pellet.

Bassfan
12-30-2007, 02:18 AM
thanks man.. now, where could i get this? i know they dont sell NLS anywhere around here.

Fishguy2727
12-30-2007, 02:29 AM
I know amazon.com sells NLS. I am not sure what all other online places sell it.

Bassfan
12-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Ok i think i found it, is it in like a plastic cup with a orange colored label? 20 bucks is a lot, but its the best i hear.

Fishguy2727
12-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Clear plastic jar, blue lid.

Bassfan
12-30-2007, 04:32 AM
this one had a white lid i believe.

M1KKA
03-16-2008, 06:26 AM
hey i have 4 baby oscars and one medium sized one in a 4 foot tank. I know they will outgrow but have another bigger tank to move them to as they get bigger. My question is that they wont eat any feeder fish just chase them away to the other side of the tank then thats it they love the pellets and havent tried anything else. But my question is they seem pretty tolerable to other fish as long as they are out of the way i may be able to keep other fish with the babies in this tank. And also what else should i feed babies? and how often as this is my first tank with oscars any help would be greatly appreciated

LaxLarry18
03-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Here we go
daily scedule
Morning 4-7 "Gold" pellets
some cichlid flakes
and a tubifex cube
night
5 pellets
flakes
and bloodworms or krill every other day
and the occasional leftover fishing bait.
and snails once a week

So i was reading this thread and see that you feed your oscar snails. I have way too many in my 20 gal and am trying to get rid of them. Just want to make sure it would be ok to feed him one every now an then.

cocoa_pleco
03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
yep, a few would be okay