PDA

View Full Version : corys in brackish water???

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 03:49 AM
I was at my LFS the other day and they had corys, mollies, platys, swordtails and gobys all in the same tank and they were adding some sea salt to the tank......is this ok for the corys????? i thought that they shouldn't have much salt in the tank????????

So can they live in brackish waters???

could you please clear this up for me please....thanks.

YaYgoldFish
12-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Arent catfish scale less fish? If so their is no salt that wont kill them..

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 04:07 AM
yeah they are scale less . so can they have some salt or no???

Dave66
12-29-2007, 04:10 AM
yeah they are scale less . so can they have some salt or no???

The cories come from the Amazon drainage system. They are in forest streams, river shallows, weed-choked tributaries . . . in other words, no salt water.

Dave

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 04:14 AM
o...so them being in brackish water....would that eventually kill them??? slowly??

Dave66
12-29-2007, 04:40 AM
o...so them being in brackish water....would that eventually kill them??? slowly??

It certainly wouldn't help them, squirt, and a stressed fish is usually a diseased and dead fish. Neutral, moderately soft water is what cories do best in.

Dave

NickFish
12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Ya I agree with Dave as I know corys hate any amount of salt. Maybe your pet store planned to move those corys right after. Or maybe they just didn't care. Next time you go and the corys are still in the salted tank you could maybe ask one of the employees about it. That is strange though I always thought most fish can tolerate a little salt except for corys and some other catfish.

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 02:46 PM
hhmm.....i guess next time i am in there i should tell them about that and maybe they will move them.

Fishalicious
12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Cory + Salt = very bad idea plus very painful to the cory as the salt really nips and hurts their skin

squirt_12
12-30-2007, 03:41 AM
wow....i better tell my LFS about this then.

YaYgoldFish
12-30-2007, 03:46 AM
If you tell them they will die, and bring them proof( printing a page from the web or something) they may move them, even give you a free one! (Probably not, but ehh lol). If you just plainly tell them they may not beleive you, who beleives a teenager?:c7:

squirt_12
12-30-2007, 03:52 AM
well they might believe me becasue i am in there alot and buy alot from them.....and tell them stuff about fish and they always believe me about that.....so maybe they will believe me about this....who knows. lol.

YaYgoldFish
12-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Maybe, I know this one lfs where i got once a while. And once I was talking about my firemouth and she asked me to show me ich fish it was and where it came from and a bunch of stuff, she questioned me for about 10 minutes on them. I thought she would of given me a small discount or a thank you, but she just said "okay" and walked away..