PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

zeon
12-29-2007, 03:32 AM
Okay I have found out that the T5 8 watt,12 inche bulb in my 6 gallon is a 5100k. I know that you guys have said that I should aim for 6700k at least? Well I found a T5 12 inche bulb Still 8 watts.. that would fit my aquarium and it says it is 8000k. Would that help increase my plant growth? I mean my java ferns seem to be doing really well but my java moss is just sitting there. This is a 6 gallon tank with my ghotsy shimps. Also a similar question.. I have a Compact fluorescent 10 watts 5100k on my 2.5 gallon tank, with plants. Setting it up for my Betta when it is finished its cycle and all. Same question applies I guess. For such small tanks...both of them..Are these sufficent? The 5100k bulbs. And if it were you would you buy the 8000k bulb for the six gallon? Or would it make a difference?

Dave66
12-29-2007, 03:46 AM
Okay I have found out that the T5 8 watt,12 inche bulb in my 6 gallon is a 5100k. I know that you guys have said that I should aim for 6700k at least? Well I found a T5 12 inche bulb Still 8 watts.. that would fit my aquarium and it says it is 8000k. Would that help increase my plant growth? I mean my java ferns seem to be doing really well but my java moss is just sitting there. This is a 6 gallon tank with my ghotsy shimps. Also a similar question.. I have a Compact fluorescent 10 watts 5100k on my 2.5 gallon tank, with plants. Setting it up for my Betta when it is finished its cycle and all. Same question applies I guess. For such small tanks...both of them..Are these sufficent? The 5100k bulbs. And if it were you would you buy the 8000k bulb for the six gallon? Or would it make a difference?

8,000K would be fine, but I don't see much if any problem using 5100K bulbs. If it were me I'd go with the 8000K bulbs if I couldn't find any 6700Ks. Proper color temperature, wattage and spectrum does help plants photosynthesize, but you'll need to balance the lights with the Co2 with the nutrients (substrate, liquid fertilization, to get the best growth.

Dave