PDA

View Full Version : Fu ManChu Lionfish?

~Erik3.8.07~
12-29-2007, 12:13 AM
i saw these and got really interested, anyone have any expierence with these little guys? whats the minimum tank requirements and are they reef friendly?

2manyfish
12-29-2007, 12:38 AM
I have never had one myself but I did research them pretty well so...
Reef friendly to a certain extent. Shrimp will be dinner. Even if the shrimp is very large and the fu manchu very small eventually the lionfish will make a snack of it. Other than that and small fish (especially small slender fish) they do well and will not bother corals, snails, bigger fish. These guys are not aggressive and should not be kept with really aggressive fish like triggers or puffers. Basic care is a 30g tank, live rock, should be the first fish in the tank or should be QT'd so that you can train it over onto 'dead foods' before it has to compete with other fish!
Nice fish, stays small but the hardest of the lions to train onto new foods.

HTH:c12:

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
i got this from a website.
Dendrochirus biocellatus
Common name: Fu Man Chu lionfish
Maximum size: 5-6 inches, minimum tank size: 30 gallons

so if you were looking at putting this in the 10g you can't.

here is the link i got it from.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

~Erik3.8.07~
12-29-2007, 12:46 AM
thx guys, that helped a lot, n no i wasnt thinking about putting it in the 10, but i have been considering making the tank im building a fish only or a FOWLR

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 01:32 AM
oooo...ok. Yeah that would be sweet...a 40g FOWLR tank. The only hard part about the lionfish is that you have to train them to eat prepared foods. or else they will only eat live. So thats a downside to them. and once they start eating live food regularly it is even harder to switch them over.

Fish4Fun
07-31-2008, 09:52 AM
There a sweet fish but dont mix them with anything smaller than them.. EG Mandras, Banded Shrimp etc.. I was given one with my tank and its now happy at the pet shop. Plus every time I needed to move some LR or coral I was being stalked by the fish, Spines out and agressive. I would reconsider.

cocoa_pleco
07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
lol, this threads from december