PDA

View Full Version : Suprise!! New Krib fry!! Yea!!

fishfanatic33
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, what do you know,my kribs spawned!!!:19: And at the least expected time possible!! I think the fry are free swimming,but they don't really "swim". I discovered them this morning,so I havn't moved them to the raising tank. I was wondering if I could leave them in the community tank or would they get eaten?? The type of fish in there is in my sig.(29g.) I could use some advice on how to raise them.:help: I didn't have any BBS because I had no idea they had spawned,so I fed them some frozen cyclops this morning.:c3:

Trying to breed the kribs has been intresting. For the first week or so they(m/f) seemed to be doing great and they dug out they're cave (flower pot) and defended it pretty fiercely,but then my male either got in a fight or ran in to something,but anyways he got a cut on his head. I hoped it would heal by itself,but it got infected so I started him on amoxocillian. On the bottle it said to use it a little past the time the wound heals,just to ensure it doesn't get infected again. Well it did heal the infection,but I ran out before the wound completely closed, so now it is infected again,so now I'm treating again(this time I,ll do it right). Thanks again for the advice(any more)

p.s. now my tank has ick too. o bother

Rue
12-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Congrats! And better make that 250 a 500!:hmm3grin2orange:

fishfanatic33
12-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks! HaHa very funny,but you never know!

Dave66
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, what do you know,my kribs spawned!!!:19: And at the least expected time possible!! I think the fry are free swimming,but they don't really "swim". I discovered them this morning,so I havn't moved them to the raising tank. I was wondering if I could leave them in the community tank or would they get eaten?? The type of fish in there is in my sig.(29g.) I could use some advice on how to raise them.:help: I didn't have any BBS because I had no idea they had spawned,so I fed them some frozen cyclops this morning.:c3:

Trying to breed the kribs has been intresting. For the first week or so they(m/f) seemed to be doing great and they dug out they're cave (flower pot) and defended it pretty fiercely,but then my male either got in a fight or ran in to something,but anyways he got a cut on his head. I hoped it would heal by itself,but it got infected so I started him on amoxocillian. On the bottle it said to use it a little past the time the wound heals,just to ensure it doesn't get infected again. Well it did heal the infection,but I ran out before the wound completely closed, so now it is infected again,so now I'm treating again(this time I,ll do it right). Thanks again for the advice(any more)

p.s. now my tank has ick too. o bother

The fish you have aren't fish eaters by nature, but they may not be able to resist the tiny fry. You need to move the fry asap as soon as they are plainly free swimming, as even in a 29, getting food to fry isn't easy. You need to keep them in a 10 that's half full so you can easily keep their bellies full. You'll need to do partial water changes two or three times a day, and move the fry to larger quarters as they grow. If you are able to raise 50 fry you've done well.
I will reiterate what I've told countless people who have fish come down with Ich; they are susceptible when they are chilled or otherwise stressed. When you do partial water changes, do you make sure the new water you are adding is the same temperature and chemical composition of that already in the tank? Even a few degrees difference can bring on a bout with the parasite.

Dave

fishfanatic33
12-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks. I took the bottom paragraph from a different thread so my discovering the ich is 3 days old. I've been treating for three days

country_boy454
12-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Congrats on the krib fry! Any pics?

fishfanatic33
12-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks! No pics yet,I'll try tomorrow