PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank filtration

Tooch
12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
My g/f got me a 29gal tank for christmas, because I've been talking for awhile now about setting up a Discus tank. She figured this would be the motivation I need. After being around myself talking about it for awhile, and hearing a couple of my friends who keep Discus, she knows that they need super filtration. So instead of getting a small filter for the tank, she bought me a dual-wheel biowheel rated for a 75gal aquarium. I'd like to use sand in the bottom. Would this be good filtration for the aquarium? The filter looks huge on it! Also, will sand be ok? I know about being sure the sand is clean prior to adding it to the tank. Thanks for any tips you guys can provide!

Tolley
12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I think how much filtration you would need will depend on how many discus your planning to keep, because i think 30g is the bare minimum for discus.

though i could be wrong.

Tooch
12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, I was thinking 3 for now. Their bodies are about the size of quarters. They are not bought yet, I wanted to check on this before I started. The tank hasn't even started cycling yet

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 09:46 PM
if you get 3 they should be okay in a 29g, but really the minimum is 55g

Tolley
12-28-2007, 09:50 PM
yeh jus googled them i think 3 would be good in 30g for a while but when they start to get big they'll need to upgrade.

MercCougar
01-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Sand is ok but it is hard to clean you may end up with nitrate problems. Are you going to use any live plants? Also I have heard discus like not just clean water. I think they need a treatment or some type of different filter medium. I might be wrong on that. I looked into discus and would still like to get them but I have to found a supplier other that online. Any tried that?

Tooch
01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I've also heard they do really well with live plants... So here's the question. Any sand that plants can thrive in?

MercCougar
01-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Sand is really good for plants but it is hard to keep the plants in it I have used sand with florite on top. That works really well I had to cut the plants back.

Tooch
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
lol i have no idea what flourite is! The most I know about plants are the 2 swordtails we have in our piranha tank, and the watersprite we had floating on top. I've always been a fan of the way sand looks in a tank though.

My only experience with sand is when we tried to use it in our 75gal. We bought it from a petstore, so didn't realize we would have to rinse it all out. Needless to say, it took about 3 days to clear out. We could see in the tank about an inch worth, and the crayfish we had in there dug a groove around the paramiter where he would walk around lol. Well we added our Oscar, and I suppose through moving the sand and spitting it around, the next day it was all cloudy again. I knew they liked to move stuff around in the tank, but I didn't realize the sand would cloud up the tank again like that! I would definatly like to use sand in the discus tank, and put my ray in there.

Is there sand that you can use with Oscars?

Halelorf
01-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Flourite is a porous clay substrate you can buy that is rich in minerals good for plants. You should be able to find it at your LFS.

kitten3326
01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
I have 3 discus in a 40 gallon tall tank, my tank is almost 3 feet long and is 34 inches tall. They love the deep water, I also have black sand and a black background. I will let you know I have no problem keeping their sand clean. Also I don't know if you know but these little guys don't stay that little, I have had mine for approximately 5 months and have gone from the size of a quater to about the size of a small glass in diameter. However these are stunning fish and well worth the extra time and effort. I do 3 water changes weekly usally about 20% at a time. They love a planted tank and dark water, the dark water keeps them from developing black spots due to pigmention, much the same as freckles in people. I also have 1 large piece of aquatic wood in my tank which helps keep the tannins in the water and also once a month I also add 2 almond leaves to my filter which also colours the water and gives it a tea colored. Avoid sharp objects such as sharp rocks, stay with well rounded ones and little decor so they can have lots of swimming area. I also have some small riverbed rock which they sometimes push around with there nose. They are also shy fish, so keep them away from high traffic areas and they will learn to stay in front for you to enjoy. Mine stare at me constantly when I am using my computer as they are in my office and this is where I spend alot of my time. I hope this was helpful. Good luck and enjoy:19:

ps. Also on a side note, I have no algae eaters or plecos in my tank and was having a bit of an algae problem I did some research and found out if you put just one small moss ball in the tank this will help to control your algae problem, little did I know that these so called moss balls are just big balls of algae, however they are stunning and do add to the tank decor, and also since buying just one I have absoulety no algae in my tank at all. A little more information for you.:19: