PDA

View Full Version : 5 Golden Chinese Algae Eaters GONE!

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2007, 08:51 PM
It's stated these fish can be aggressive with each other but let me tell you, they can be aggressive with everything else in the tank, as well. I've been watching them more closely the last few days in my firemouth tank and they act together to drive the firemouths from their caves. They just torment these fish until the cichlid gives up and relinquishes his space.

I have watched them chase the large adult female, in unison, clear across the tank. I guess if they actually took care of the algae they could be tolerated but they don't even do that. They also chased the platies and gourami's as well.

They are now history and the firemouths can return to their caves without being tormented by these useless catfish.

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 08:59 PM
WoW. I was actually thinking about getting these fish. I did some research on them a couple of days ago and they said they are semi-aggressive. I also happen to know someone who has i think 2 of them and says they just swim on the bottom and suck on the gravel. Maybe since there was 5 of them they felt like they can do anything and they tried to take over your tank. You could of tried to separate them if you had more than one tank and see if they acted the same. But then again what do I know im new at this aquarium stuff.

Rue
12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
...I don't want to know what happened to them *lalalala*

But yes, they are very aggressive...and are not recommended unless you have a huge tank...with enough space they're often okay...

OscarFan
12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
did you take care of them Hobbs.LOL. Thats why I like OTOs

Dave66
12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
It's stated these fish can be aggressive with each other but let me tell you, they can be aggressive with everything else in the tank, as well. I've been watching them more closely the last few days in my firemouth tank and they act together to drive the firemouths from their caves. They just torment these fish until the cichlid gives up and relinquishes his space.

I have watched them chase the large adult female, in unison, clear across the tank. I guess if they actually took care of the algae they could be tolerated but they don't even do that. They also chased the platies and gourami's as well.

They are now history and the firemouths can return to their caves without being tormented by these useless catfish.

Hobbsy,
Pleased that you got rid of them. It continually astonishes me that barb relative is still sold as an algae solution. Did I hear a flush?
Lucky you got rid of them before they reached eight inches and harassed all your other fish to death. Four-inch Peckoltia would do a much better job with algae.

Dave

Algenco
12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
:1: Hooray! no more mean fish:thumb:

smaug
12-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I had the same problem when I had 5 of them in my tank,I moved one,3 of them died and now there is just one in my 58gal planted.He is 4" long and only slightly mean.Believe it or not he is an algae vacuum every bit as good as my 2 SAE.My fingers are crossed he will stay that way.I hope so because I cannot catch him with out totally wrecking my tank.

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
They were every bit of 5 inches. My poor firemouth would have all 5 on her at once. My other tank has corys, the other has blood parrots and they hate those catfish, other tank has featherfins and loaches so I really had no place for them.

No Rue, you heard you flush. I put them in a zip lock bag and put them outside. Cooler out there than my freezer.

smaug
12-29-2007, 08:23 AM
dont get me wrong Hobbs,I wasnt telling you what you should have done.cae are mean little sobs that everyone should be warned off of.

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh no. I wasn't taking it that way at all. My tank is only a 55 gallon and 5 of them was too much. They started acting like pack dogs and only just recently chasing the firemouths.

country_boy454
12-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I had one in my 29 with my cons but was fortunate enough it passes away on its own...... Like dave said they are not algae eaters like they say they are.

Nick_Pavlovski
12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
No Rue, you heard you flush. I put them in a zip lock bag and put them outside. Cooler out there than my freezer.

Ah ha!
I too was morbidly curious! :27: