PDA

View Full Version : Humongous fish help - Paroon Shark

Tooch
12-28-2007, 08:22 PM
OK, so I have a fish names Spooky, he's a Paroon shark. From what I understand, it's the largest freshwater fish there is. I've read reports that he can get anywhere from 5' - 9' in length. Then again, I've read other catfish can get to 20' in lenght now that I think about it... Well, no matter. My girlfriend bought him without knowing what he can turn into. He's currently about 14" long. and we've had him for about a year and a half or so. I've been thinking about it, and I'm sure other people have run into this problem. What do I do with him when he's simply too large to keep? I know hormones fish put out inhibit their growth, so would a matter of fewer water changes help slow down his growth or stop it while still keeping good water quality? I currently change about 25% once a week. If it won't, what then?? :help: Killing him is not an option for me.

OscarFan
12-28-2007, 08:25 PM
certain places like malls would like him in a big tank. try giving him to a place with a big tank.

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
My dad always buys fish without knowing what he buys. Every time he gets a fish its usually an inch or under. When they get to big for the tank he would go to pet land and they would take the fish and they would give him back the money or sometimes give him even more than what he paid for.

OscarFan
12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
might be a little late to return it now. But worth a try

Tooch
12-28-2007, 08:36 PM
We don't have anything like Pet Land around... I think she got him from Pet Supplies Plus. That's good to know. Maybe now is a good time to start calling around. He's only 14" now, but the little guys grow so fast ::sniff:: Haha just kidding, but the more I plan ahead, the better! Thanks for the tips, guys!

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 08:37 PM
try a mall or city aquarium, west edmonton mall is taking my pacu for their huge tank when he outgrows mine

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 08:39 PM
We don't have anything like Pet Land around... I think she got him from Pet Supplies Plus.

I think that any pet store would take him in. You don't even need to get paid for it just as long as you know that your fish is healthy and happy.

Tooch
12-28-2007, 08:48 PM
I think that any pet store would take him in. You don't even need to get paid for it just as long as you know that your fish is healthy and happy.

That's really the important thing for me. I didn't really plan on making any money from my fish, just something to really enjoy!

OscarFan
12-28-2007, 09:28 PM
no petstore in my area would take a 14 in fish

Drumachine09
12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Allowing a fish to stunt its own growth should NOT be an option. That is not normal for the fish, and a bad choice.

I would start to contact a zoo in your area, or post an ad at a LFS with their permission to find a better home for him.

Dave66
12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
OK, so I have a fish names Spooky, he's a Paroon shark. From what I understand, it's the largest freshwater fish there is. I've read reports that he can get anywhere from 5' - 9' in length. Then again, I've read other catfish can get to 20' in lenght now that I think about it... Well, no matter. My girlfriend bought him without knowing what he can turn into. He's currently about 14" long. and we've had him for about a year and a half or so. I've been thinking about it, and I'm sure other people have run into this problem. What do I do with him when he's simply too large to keep? I know hormones fish put out inhibit their growth, so would a matter of fewer water changes help slow down his growth or stop it while still keeping good water quality? I currently change about 25% once a week. If it won't, what then?? :help: Killing him is not an option for me.

Here's what your catfish will turn into: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=4875
You'll have to either buy/build an aquarium in the 10s of thousands of gallons or build a giant indoor pond if you intend to keep it. At his adult size, there would be very little else you could keep, as he will eat anything you put in with him.
I would never kill any fish, but you will have to buy or build a suitable container for that catfish.
Doing research before buying fish you are interested will prevent you being in your current situation.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Here's what your catfish will turn into: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=4875

MAN, does that thing eat feeder elephants? its huge!

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 09:50 PM
One more idea came to my head. Don't know if it's smart but you can throw the fish in a nearby lake. I guess it really depends into which lake you trow it in. I guess it would have to be a lake where the temp. is always 75-80F. If you think about it the fish will have a lot of place to swim and plenty of food. If there isn't any food in the lake which is unlikely, then you can always trow some chicken liver into the lake if its close.

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 09:51 PM
One more idea came to my head. Don't know if it's smart but you can throw the fish in a nearby lake. I guess it really depends into which lake you trow it in. I guess it would have to be a lake where the temp. is always 75-80F. If you think about it the fish will have a lot of place to swim and plenty of food. If there isn't any food in the lake which is unlikely, then you can always trow some chicken liver into the lake if its close.

lakes arent a good idea, adding fish that are not found in the natural ecosystem can blow the whole system

Rue
12-28-2007, 09:56 PM

Not to mention that's illegal and can 'net' you jail time...very bad idea on all fronts...

You can call ahead and ask any local zoos or aquariums...keep in mind that most DO NOT take pet fish...mostly because they're inundated with pet fish.

Fish stores need to stop selling large fish and people need to stop buying them...seriously...it's ludicrous...

Tolley
12-28-2007, 09:58 PM
mp3rp read up on this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=13515

as for the shark alll i can think of is if you know anyone with big aquariums you could give him to.

Dave66
12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
MAN, does that thing eat feeder elephants? its huge!

Or your right arm, cocoa. It always galls me that merchants sell totally inappropriate fish to people who have no real hope of keeping them properly. I know stores exist to sell, but it still really makes me angry for the sake of the fishes and the people who unknowingly buy them.

Dave

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Yea like I said before, I didn't think it was a smart idea either but if you don't have any other place to put the fish then what are you going to do.

The only reason I suggested that was because on planetcatfish the pictures had a man hold the paroon in his hand near a lake and i assumed that he was fishing and thats what he caught.

EDIT: http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=2000

Dave66
12-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Yea like I said before, I didn't think it was a smart idea either but if you don't have any other place to put the fish then what are you going to do.

The only reason I suggested that was because on planetcatfish the pictures had a man hold the paroon in his hand near a lake and i assumed that he was fishing and thats what he caught.

EDIT: http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=2000

Yes, but he was fishing in the catfish's native waters in Asia, not in your local pond.

Dave

tropfish
12-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Putting the fish in a local water system isn't an option at all. that's why native fish are having trouble competing with unnaturally introduced fish. Because someone thought it was a good idea.

Tooch
12-29-2007, 03:17 AM
I read somewhere that they raise these things in Korea for food... They feed them dog carcasses...

Bassfan
12-29-2007, 03:37 AM
i remember someone telling me at a fish store who worked there, had some south american red catfish the ones that get 4' and i could keep 1 in a 55 gallon aquarium.... always good to do research before buying a fish.