PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Sword Plant - and a couple other topics...

Ellen4God
12-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Okay, I did some research on the Amazon Sword plant. I read the article Dave did in the plant section of the forum, and I have a few questions now. I would need to probably get the E. quadricostatus one, or the smaller one (sorry, forgot it's name) for my 10g, correct? And these stay pretty small. The other ones are said to get to be able a foot or so tall, so that's a bit too tall for my 10g, right? lol It also says that it'll sort of cover the bottom of my tank like grass unless I take care of the ones that run away or what not. I just pinch the stragglers off?

Okay, another question (sorry, I'm full of them today!). I think I would rather have a taller plant as opposed to a shorter plant....or both! I need something that will go to the upper part of my tank as it looks pretty empty. Do you have any suggestions for a plant like this? Are there any that would be okay with an Amazon Sword plant?

One more question, I promise (well, for now that is)...when I vacuum the gravel with plants in the tank, do I just vacuum around them and avoid their general area, or do I move them? Will the vacuum harm the plants?

.......I just realized that I probably should've posted this in the plants section - sorry, guys! Could it be moved, or is it okay here?

Dave66
12-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Okay, I did some research on the Amazon Sword plant. I read the article Dave did in the plant section of the forum, and I have a few questions now. I would need to probably get the E. quadricostatus one, or the smaller one (sorry, forgot it's name) for my 10g, correct? And these stay pretty small. The other ones are said to get to be able a foot or so tall, so that's a bit too tall for my 10g, right? lol It also says that it'll sort of cover the bottom of my tank like grass unless I take care of the ones that run away or what not. I just pinch the stragglers off?

Okay, another question (sorry, I'm full of them today!). I think I would rather have a taller plant as opposed to a shorter plant....or both! I need something that will go to the upper part of my tank as it looks pretty empty. Do you have any suggestions for a plant like this? Are there any that would be okay with an Amazon Sword plant?

One more question, I promise (well, for now that is)...when I vacuum the gravel with plants in the tank, do I just vacuum around them and avoid their general area, or do I move them? Will the vacuum harm the plants?

.......I just realized that I probably should've posted this in the plants section - sorry, guys! Could it be moved, or is it okay here?

Ellen,
If you want a sword plant for your 10 gallon, get E. parviflorus. You'll probably have to buy one online, as pet shops pretty much always get sword plants mixed up, and if you try to buy parviflorus, you could wind up with one of the massive monsters of the Genus. Parviflorus tops out at 10 inches normally, and looks like one of the big ones shrunk down in size. It goes by the common name Black Amazon Sword, but it isn't black; its translucent green.
Even at 10 inches, it'll be dominant in your tank, but its a lovely plant. You'll need Florish iron tablets around its base and replace them about every three months. Swords are nutrient hogs.
As it'll shade most of your tank, it'll be tough to add more plants. The other little guy you were thinking of was E. tennelus, the Dwarf Chain Sword. Grasslike, it can fill in the spaces left from the parviflorus.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Have you upgraded your lights on that tank? You'll have a hard time growing anything if all you have is the 15 watt tank light. You should upgrade lights before buying any plants or they will not make it.

(I'm moving your thread to the sword plant thread.)

Ellen4God
12-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Have you upgraded your lights on that tank? You'll have a hard time growing anything if all you have is the 15 watt tank light. You should upgrade lights before buying any plants or they will not make it.

(I'm moving your thread to the sword plant thread.)

Thanks for moving it for me!!

I do need to upgrade my lighting. I'll look into that when I run out to Petsmart today.

Do I need to order the plant from a certain site? Are some a big no-no to order from?

tropfish
12-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I have a commonly sold amazon sword in my 10g for now. It grows really fast.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Some guy posted in another forum his amazon was so large it took up half of his 75 gallon tank and had given him hundreds of babies.

Ellen4God
12-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, good gravy. lol Hopefully the E. Parviflorus won't do such a thing...if I can find it sold somewhere.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2007, 03:09 PM
You might want to check Ebay for it. At least they don't charge $30 for shipping.

Ellen4God
12-28-2007, 03:19 PM
You might want to check Ebay for it. At least they don't charge $30 for shipping.

lol Good point. I've already checked there - no luck. They have the huge ones, but not the parviflorus ones. On with the hunt we go...

Algenco
12-28-2007, 03:56 PM
what about a small ruffled sword, I've bought from this person and was pleased with the plants.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?liveplantsr&1199064373

TowBoater
12-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I love amazon sword. I used to have one that was almost 2ft in length, possible was. I sold it for like 12$ to my LFS and I got several babys off of it. Great plant in my opinion and is rather hardy.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Some guy posted in another forum his amazon was so large it took up half of his 75 gallon tank and had given him hundreds of babies.

Must have bleheri, Hobbsy. That and cordifolius are true giants. Parvaflorus is a miniature of the former, about half the size. Always tops out at 10 inches in my tanks.

Dave

smaug
12-29-2007, 08:20 PM
here is an sword plant that i have always been partial to.It is an Ozelot sword.In my tank they have proven to be good growers and they have really nice red markings.They get about 10" with a good spread also about 10 ".4315

Dave66
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
here is an sword plant that i have always been partial to.It is an Ozelot sword.In my tank they have proven to be good growers and they have really nice red markings.They get about 10" with a good spread also about 10 ".4315

Nice plant, smaug. Always liked that cultivar. I can see the Glowlights like it too . .

Dave

Ellen4God
12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
I still haven't been able to find a parvaflorus plant yet. I'm not sure where else to look. I've tried just about every site I can find that sells live plants. Should I just give up and find a new plant? lol I do like the Ozelot sword. I'll have to look that one up too.

Ellen4God
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I still haven't been able to find a parvaflorus plant yet. I'm not sure where else to look. I've tried just about every site I can find that sells live plants. Should I just give up and find a new plant? lol I do like the Ozelot sword. I'll have to look that one up too.

Of course, I say that and then go to look for an Ozelot sword, and what do ya know? I found a Parvaflorus!! w00t w00t! I'm pretty much stoked about this one. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ellen4God
12-29-2007, 08:44 PM
WOAH! The plant is only about $2, but shipping is about $24 at the LEAST! Is this normal?

Dave66
12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
WOAH! The plant is only about $2, but shipping is about $24 at the LEAST! Is this normal?

Yes, because its two day mail and packing costs some. That's why its a good idea to buy a bunch of plants rather than just one.
Of course, with the gas prices today its probably cheaper than driving somewhere to buy one.

Dave

Ellen4God
12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Yes, because its two day mail and packing costs some. That's why its a good idea to buy a bunch of plants rather than just one.
Of course, with the gas prices today its probably cheaper than driving somewhere to buy one.

Dave

lol This is true for sure!

smaug
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
hey ellen!Sipping from this place is much less then 24 bucks I dont know if they have the parv or not.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/LPshipping.web

Ellen4God
12-30-2007, 02:16 PM
hey ellen!Sipping from this place is much less then 24 bucks I dont know if they have the parv or not.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/LPshipping.web

Thanks, Smaug!! I'll definitely check that out. :]