PDA

View Full Version : hmm..tetras..

YaYgoldFish
12-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Ok so this is my first time stocking a tank this size (10g) and im really having a hard time with it. I don`t know why but whatever.

This is the stock `I` would like, but not sure is best for the fish.

5 red eye tetras
5 Corydoras.

Would it be better to have 6 tetras and only 3 corys or 6 tetras and 4 corys?

I want the most corys possible, but I was the tetras to be happy and relaxed in a school.

For the filtration Ive got an AC30-60 and do a 40-60 WC every week.

Heres another thought I had but didn`t want to make another thread just for this. If I got branches from a tree outside, will the branches eventually rot? And would I have to boil the branh and all? Thanks everyone:thumb:

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:38 AM
what kind of corys are you thinking???? that would decide on how many you can get.

I would get as many of the tetras as you can fit in there so that they school together and it looks cooler.

YaYgoldFish
12-28-2007, 04:41 AM
Well im in my cory stage, so im more into that. I`m not sure about the kind of cories that I want, I was thinking maybe mixing species. So far I have a sterbais and 2 unknown that im still trying to ID. The rest id buy would be pandas or/albinos.

fishfanatic33
12-28-2007, 04:45 AM
With tetras you can go a little past the "1 inch per gallon" rule because they don't pass very much waste and especially because you do WC so often. Thats my take on it

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:47 AM
i guess thos eoulw be ok because they only get around 2 inches. You could probably get about....4-6 of them.

YaYgoldFish
12-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Ok the 2 unkown ones were ``Corydoras solox Nijssen`` I ve been searching for a while and just cannot find a common name. So you guys think 4-6 corys with 5 tetras would be good?

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:52 AM
IMO....i would say that it should be fine.

YaYgoldFish
12-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Alright, anyone have any thoughts about the wood?

Dave66
12-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Alright, anyone have any thoughts about the wood?

This is where most of mine comes from: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/subcat.asp?0=200

Been buying from Dwight for years and years.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I find that stuff pretty expensive im on a really tight budget, that`s why I wated to know if I could use branches from a tree. Nice looking wood tho.

hpt84
12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
This is where most of mine comes from: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/subcat.asp?0=200

Been buying from Dwight for years and years.

Dave

Those are kinda pricely for me. I attached a link with real driftwood for a cheaper price.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3578+6635

You could buy sealer paint and try sealing the branches.
I know someone who use wood to create part of an aquarium and seal the wood.

kes
01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi (sorry regulars, haven't been on here for a while - hello everybody!!)

I've become a big Tetra fan recently - I think these guys are seriously underrated! All I wanted to say is are you completely sold on the idea of red eye tetras?

I do have some and they're ok but I think there are other tetras that would look amazing shoaling in your tank. X Ray Tetras may look quite plain in your LFS but when you get a decent shoal they are beautiful. Silver tips are lovely too. Can't remember the size of your tank but if you could accomodate a slightly larger fish the Diamond Tetras are gorgeous (they're probably the favourite out of all my Tetras). Rummy noses are amazing but I wouldn't recommend them for a new set up.

Also Danios are good fun! They really seem to enjoy themselves in a shoal, chasing each other and eating their food like sharks by swimming at top speed through it thumbs2: They also seem quite hardy in a variable ph if it's a new set up.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Oh, and pics please!!

kes x x x