PDA

View Full Version : Splashing water noise

smokeypea
08-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi, i have penguin bio wheel filters, after a water change i am getting a lot of splashing noise, i raised the level of water and also lowered it but its still noisy, the filter cartridges are in place and the impellers are quiet, dont know what else to do, the wheels are moving around ok too. Thanks for any advice.

William
08-19-2006, 07:02 PM
you might have air in your filter. Try tilting it under water while looking for bubbles.

smokeypea
08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks William, going to do a water change in a few minutes, so will try your advice, i must get a python vacumn, i get more water either on the floor, on me, or in my mouth than i do in the bucket, and have to do many water changes cos of a messy Ozzie oscar, it works though cos at the moment he is doing really well.

stubbytheplecostomus
08-26-2006, 03:23 AM
my penguine is really splashy, some things to help; there is a rate adjuster that looks like a grey stick by the inlet tube, by adjusting it you can control the noise, also make sure the water jets above the bio wheel are pointed at the top of the biowheel, some adjusting will result in a quiter filter. i turn my penguin off at night(this tank is in my bedroom) and i use a whisper intank filter to keep things moving at night. i love the penguine but hate the noise (i have a 280)

octony
08-26-2006, 04:36 AM
I have Tetra Whispers in all my tnaks and I change 10 % water every day in all of them and have never had this problem. Do you have an air stone or something puting air into you filter tube?

smokeypea
08-27-2006, 11:57 PM
I dont know if there is a grey stick by the intake tube, but yes i do have an airstone and bubble curtain, when i looked i saw that the bubbles on the sirstone are very near the filter, do you think thats why its noisey? will it harm the impeller? if so i will have to find somewhere else to put it, i do have two penguin filters running but i like to see the bubbles too, my Oscar is very messy but he loves to play in the bubbles, hoped it would take his mind off begging for food, but not much chance of that.. lol.

William
08-28-2006, 03:12 AM
That can veyr well be why it is noice. If bubbles are drwan into the filter it will make it noisy. It can hurt the filter but the risk is low unless the air intake is large.

smokeypea
08-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Ok thanks, i will try and move the air stone and see if that helps the splashing. I raised the lowered the water level but it is still a little noisey so must be the sir stone. thanks again.

octony
08-28-2006, 04:24 AM
That should solve the problem.