PDA

View Full Version : upsidedown catfish

Kaga's Kritters
12-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyone else have any of them? I got one the other day, they are pretty cool. He is very active though, swims all around the tank all day long, lol. I have him in my 29gal.

spudbuds
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I had one once, but it didn't live through my cycle (rookie mistake). They are very cool, but I think they prefer being in a group.

Good luck with him.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
ive had tons of them, theyre awesome

Kaga's Kritters
12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
i was doing some reading on them and i have read in multiple places that they are schooling fish and like to be in groups of 4 or more. guess i will have to get him some buddies.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2007, 12:23 AM
I have the featherfin squeaker. I love my guys. They fought in the beginning and I seperated them and just this last week put them back together. They were in separate tanks for 8 months probably. They were so cute when they finally got back together. I think mine are male and female tho. Males are thinner than the females and I have one larger and heavier and one thinner and a tad smaller.

Incredulous_Ed
12-28-2007, 01:38 AM
I had three. Only saw them every once in a while.

gm72
12-28-2007, 01:42 AM
I have a pair of them in a 29 gallon tank with 7 black skirt tetras. Don't see them too often but they are fun. Tried adding some black neon tetras to the mix but they were eaten by the catfish.

Here's a tip for you to view them more often. I bought two sets of penn plax...don't remember what they are called. They are plastic cave-type ornaments that suction cup to the walls of the aquarium. I put one each on each short end of the aquarium. The cats love to hang out in them, and you can see them at the same time. They are overall very reclusive but fun to watch.

I also dimmed the light by lightly spray painting the light bulb with heat safe black spray paint. They come out more often with that. I also installed a moon light of sorts, enough light that they come out and allows you to see them, too.

Kaga's Kritters
12-28-2007, 02:06 AM
i read that they hide alot, but mine is never hiding, he is always out and swimming around.

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 02:08 AM
i read that they hide alot, but mine is never hiding, he is always out and swimming around.

ditto, i just got my first one in 3 years for my 90g and hes out and about

angelcakes
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
i got 1 to,hes the old boy of my tank being about 5 years old,hes a large synodontis and doesnt get on with his own species,i brought as an adult and liked him alot so brought another one thinking hes got company wrong!!!all they did was fight so thankfully having a second tank the new one got put in there,they have been fine ever since, have you considered feeding youres cucumber,they go wild for it!:laugh1blue:

Tooch
01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Cara used to have one and loved it, unfortunatly it died. Maybe I'll grab her another one for our 40gal. Would these things be ok with a needlenose, a ghost knife and a bichir?

Kaga's Kritters
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Cara used to have one and loved it, unfortunatly it died. Maybe I'll grab her another one for our 40gal. Would these things be ok with a needlenose, a ghost knife and a bichir?

your fish are going to get too big for your tank, hope you plan on upgrading to a very large tank.

Tooch
01-28-2008, 01:56 PM
your fish are going to get too big for your tank, hope you plan on upgrading to a very large tank.

lol I have a 280 that they can move into whenever they get too large :ezpi_wink1:

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I would love to have those suction cup caves. Didn't know they had them. I have two pvc pipes in their tank for them but then share the same cave.......nose to nose. It's cutier than heck.

The larger of the two would always swim right up to the glass whenever she saw me but now that they have bonded together, I'm the odd man out and she doesn't bother with me now. :)

Kaga's Kritters
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
lol I have a 280 that they can move into whenever they get too large :ezpi_wink1:

sounds great!

tropfish
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I ahve a featherfin sqeaker, and it is one of my favorite fish. I've had it for a month and it's grown at least an inch and a half.

toddnbecka
01-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Would these things be ok with a needlenose, a ghost knife and a bichir?

I had a fair-sized ornate bicher once, 8-9", growing out in a 55. I found some 2-3" juvie squeakers at the lfs, and dropped 4 in the tank w/the bicher. He chowed them down in a couple days. I actually saw one being eaten tail-first, spines and all. The poor little bugger was squeaking too, almost like it was calling for help, but there was nothing to be done. The bicher would have had it down before I could have gotten the rocks pulled out.

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2008, 06:32 AM
should be okay, i have one in my 90g with large cichlids (oscar, african knife, pacu, severum, green terror, JD, etc) and noone notices him