PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve Oto death

Nick_Pavlovski
12-27-2007, 06:28 AM
So I do a regular water change before going away for 3 nights.
Load the car - about an hour after the water change, one of my Otos is upside down, not moving. I prod him, he rights himself and swims a short distance but certainly didn't act really scared.

Made the decision to euthanise him rather than have him dead and fouling the 6g.

Damn!

Siamese Fighter 1
12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
sorry for your lost.did you check the water parameters after

Nick_Pavlovski
12-27-2007, 11:16 AM
No, I was trying to get out the door and ready for a 2.5 hour drive down to where Christmas was going to be happening.

Now that I'm home, the other Oto seems fine as does everyone else in there.

Perhaps this was the newer of the two Otos doing his "one month after" death?
It would be logical...

Siamese Fighter 1
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
he was probly dying before u done the water change

Nick_Pavlovski
12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
It's definitely possible. He'd been hanging in the same spot all day prior to the water change.

Siamese Fighter 1
12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
hope u wont have any losses in the new year :)

Tolley
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
thats unlucky... but it was probably best to euthanise him and save your other fish.

SkarloeysMom
12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Perhaps this was the newer of the two Otos doing his "one month after" death?
It would be logical...

That's interesting that you too have experienced the "one month after" death. I've had that happen more than once. There never seems to be any explanation, they just up and die. Sorry it had to happen on Christmas eve.

Nick_Pavlovski
12-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Yeah, it was at the worst time, just as the car was packed and we were locking the door - "Hang on honey, I'll just check the fish will be ok for the 3 days".

I'm going to hold off buying a replacement.

And thanks for your New Year's wishes!
If I move house, I'm going to completely redo the tanks, anyway.

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah, it was at the worst time, just as the car was packed and we were locking the door - "Hang on honey, I'll just check the fish will be ok for the 3 days".

Sure having anything die on Christmas Eve is bad. At least it went belly-up before you left. I don't think you would like to come home from vacation to find the Oto and who knows, maybe other fish dead.

Tooch
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
This may be a noob question, but one I've thought about before. How do you euthanise a fish? The ol' flusharoo?

mp3rp
12-28-2007, 06:05 PM
This may be a noob question, but one I've thought about before. How do you euthanise a fish? The ol' flusharoo?

If euthanise means put to death for good than there was another thread where a goldfish was sick and someone from the forum wanted to put it out of its misery. There was a link to "euthanise" fish and one way was putting it in a baggy and freezing it in the freezer. My favorite way was putting the fish in a bowl filled with vodka, the vodka is said to instantly kill the fish. That is how my dad put my parrots out of their misery when they were sick.

kurly
12-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Sorry about the death of your Oto. I was thinking about getting a couple myself but have decided against it because I have read so many posts about them dying soon after you buy them.