PDA

View Full Version : Is It Any Place For A Sun Catfish?

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 03:36 AM
So a couple of days ago my dad comes home from work with a baggy with 2 Sun Catfish in it. I know they are Sun Catfish after a long search on google. Anyways, they ate all my neon tetra and they hide under rocks in the day and only come out when it is dark. After my search I've read that the little ones prefer to hide from the light and come out in the day. This is unacceptable by my dad and the rocks the two catfish hide under were removed because he thought that the catfish would get used to the light. Thankfully it is night so i turned off the light in my tank so the catfish won't be scared. Also I've read that these guys like to grow to be about 18inch long. I only have a 10gallon and this concerns me. I don't know if I should keep these two, they don't even eat except whatever is on the bottom, and there is nothing on the bottom besides poop from the other fish. What I want to know is if my tank is a good fit for these two, and if it is, what pH do these guys prefer, what should i feed them and should I put the rocks back in?

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Well if they reach 18 inches long and now have no cover, not at all good for your 10g.

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 03:43 AM
Well tomorrow I will probably put it back in anyways. I didn't want the rocks taken out but there is no way to convince my dad. But i've also heard that fish will only grow if they have enough room. Sort of like plants, if you put one in a pot the size of a coffee cup it won't grow, but if you plant one in a big pot it will. Now I heard that about goldfish so I don't know if the same goes for catfish.

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 04:08 AM
That isnt true, the thing about fish growing according to the size of the tank. What happens is that if the fish is in a takn where it can no longer grow, it releases what I think are called ``tannins`` and makes the water quality bad and the fish is stunted and overall, just makes the fish in bad health.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2007, 04:10 AM
tannin is what driftwood releases. say if you kept a oscar in a 10g, there would be a major horomone imbalance and the oscar would get stunted growth, and due young. only get a fish if you can get the proper size tank

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 04:15 AM
Well these two catfish were given to me. I usually like to research the fish I want to buy before I buy it. Right now i really don't now what to do with them. They are really cool but I don't want anything bad to happen to them or to my other fish who share the tank. If they do grow to be 18inch long what size tank do you guys recommend?

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2007, 04:18 AM
a fullgrown 18" fish should have a 125g+ tank

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Depends on if their active, but I`d have to say 100+ for both.

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 04:23 AM
a fullgrown 18" fish should have a 125g+ tank

Wow thats way to big and expensive. Ill probably take the fish the pet land and make some money.

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Good idea.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2007, 04:28 AM
thats a good idea. always try to find deals on a large tank though. just a few hours ago i got a boxing day sale price on a 90g and it was marked down from $300 to $90

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 04:36 AM
thats a good idea. always try to find deals on a large tank though. just a few hours ago i got a boxing day sale price on a 90g and it was marked down from $300 to $90

If a 90g costs 300 regularly a 125g would cost like around 400, 500? Even if I could afford that, i would have to put the tank on the floor because there is no room, god forbid it cracks or i kick it and all that water spills, I live in a coop on the 6ths floor. All that water would flood the lady on the 5th, her sister on the 4th and would probably go down the the 3rd if I get lucky.

cocoa_pleco
12-27-2007, 05:15 AM
good point, its best to take them to the store then.

i had to setup my 90g in a rush so unfortunately its on the floor. i would go out and buy a stand now but that would mean draining the tank, so i'll wait a while

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Ok guys, today I went to pet land to buy some filters and tap water conditioner. I asked about the catfish and the guy told me I could hold on to them for a couple of months until they grow to be to big for the tank because they grow real slow. He told me that I can feed it anything such as goldfish, maggots and worms. Now i don't feel like going to petland every week to buy goldfish but I do have a box of worms in my fridge because my dad goes fishing on weekends sometimes. One more thing I want to now is if I cut the worms into pieces small enough to fit in the mouth of the catfish will it do any harm to the water in my tank? For example will it increase the ammonia or increase/decrease the pH lvl? I put in a piece of worm as soon as it turned dark to see if the catfish would eat it at all. So I turned of the lights and waited about a minute, not even because I was real eager to see what would happen. When I turned back on the lights the worm was gone. So would it be ok to trow in about 2-4 little worm pieces in my tank each night?

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah, but becareful, if you keep it too long you could get attached to them.

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, but becareful, if you keep it too long you could get attached to them.

attached to them?

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 11:00 PM
To your fish.

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
but you think that it is safe for my other fish to have worms in the tank? Id tell you which ones i have but I dont know myself. I know one is a swordtail but i cant be sure about the other ones.

YaYgoldFish
12-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Well obviously not if you feed it goldfish.

mp3rp
12-27-2007, 11:45 PM
no i don't think you understood. It's probably my fault I am still learning English. But I do not want to feed it goldfish but worms. I want to put in pieces of worms in my tank for the catfish. What I want to know is if it is safe for the other fish in the tank.