PDA

View Full Version : One scared pleco...still?

Matt23
12-26-2007, 08:45 PM
I have this pleco. It's spotted and is about 6" long. I bought it about 1 and a half years ago. There are only one of him. As an aquarist, I understand that plecos can tend to be scared for a little while once introduced to the aquarium. But this guy is the scardeycat of the tank. He hears anything, he goes mental and bumps into stuff and hides in a cave. What is going on? My tank is well lit, and all the fish in there are all used to humans, except that one. And they've all been introduced to my 28gallon at about the same time (maybe 5 day difference). Matt23. Pls. help.:confused:

blu
12-28-2007, 11:02 PM
How brightly lit is your tank? I have found that plecos prefer a dimmly lit aquarium and are most comfortable in lower lit tanks. Also does he have a cave to retreate to when hes scared..if he doesnt that may explain why he bumps into things and goes a little spastic..he may just be trying to find a place to hide.

smaug
12-28-2007, 11:06 PM
blu:Also does he have a cave to retreate to when hes scared..if he doesnt that may explain why he bumps into things and goes a little spastic..he may just be trying to find a place to hide.
Ditto.give him a cave he can call his own and you may be surprised to actually see him more because he knows he will have a place to run.I have a leopard sailfin who is out all the time because he feels secure in an easy retreat.

~Erik3.8.07~
12-28-2007, 11:39 PM
my pleco gets scared like that too, i think there nocternal (sp?) and prefer the night which is probably why hes so skiddish when the bright tank lights are on

OscarFan
12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
mine does that too and so soes my sisters thier nocturnal and are very jumpy when thier out in the open when the lights are on.

Dave66
12-29-2007, 12:55 AM
mine does that too and so soes my sisters thier nocturnal and are very jumpy when thier out in the open when the lights are on.

Mine aren't skittish because I constructed many hides for them when I built the tanks. The more hidey-holes you give them the more you'll see them. Its the same thing people do with the smaller Moray Eels that marine hobbyists keep; give them lots of places to hide.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2007, 01:12 AM
If not more caves then more wood. He probably feels vulnerable in the open areas.

Matt23
12-29-2007, 03:18 PM
My tank has a saltwater light, but i take care of freshwaters. There are about 5 caves he can hide in as well. You got me thinking erik, maybe they are nocturnal...

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 03:22 PM
maybe they are nocturnal...
from what i have heard.....they are.

blu
12-29-2007, 04:41 PM
They are generally nocturnal but in a tank where they are comfortable they should have no problem coming out during the day. Bright lights, loud noises, and some fish can all make a pleco feel scared. Is he a big pleco?...if he is mabey things are too close together for him to move around easily. If I were you I would try lowering the light and keeping the room quiet just to rule out those things as to whats causing him to be so scared. It is also possible that he will always be a scaredy cat(fish) but he shouldnt be darting around and bumping into things he could hurt himself oneday.

Arkie
12-29-2007, 11:11 PM
my pleco has lots of choice when it comes to hiddy holes, in his tank there are heaps of caves from rocks, drift wood and two pvc pipes aswell as the plants. he is usually very active during the day and especially when i put his food in there. he loves squash lol. he is the first one on it and will chase my bristlenoses away - he is a bit greedy i think.

Matt23
12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Thank you a lot for all the info guys lol!