PDA

View Full Version : green gunk on my hornwort..dangerous??

squirt_12
12-26-2007, 04:10 PM
The other day i noticed that i had a little bit of green gunk on my hornwort.......so i took that little piece off. Then today i noticed that i had some more on my hornwort. It is a dark greenand i am worried that it is something bad.

Is it bad or should i just leave it???

http://www.aquamax.de/Shop/Artikelbilder/Zusatzbilder/Algen%20im%20Aquarium_Blaualgen%20-%20Cyanobacteria_STUG_cyano1.jpg

it looks something like what is in the link.

is it bad???? should i get something that will eat it??

P.S.
It is in the 10g planted tank.

squirt_12
12-26-2007, 06:01 PM
it also was on my heater for a little while and wasn't going away so i wiped it off with my hand and it hasn't came back yet.

would otos eat it?? i havn't got any otos yet but in the new year i am planning on getting 2 of them.

thanks.

Incredulous_Ed
12-26-2007, 10:49 PM
haha, I have the exact same thing, and it is disgusting looking.

It can be cause by overfeeding, not enough water changes, or a new tank. The only thing to do is pretty much remove it by hand.

squirt_12
12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
well i def. don't over feed....i do weekly water changes so it must be from it being a new tank. the tank is about a month old. So i just remove it??? how long until it will stop coming????

Incredulous_Ed
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I would just remove it with a siphon. Ir comes out pretty easily. Whats' the stocking on the tank?

Another cause is anaerobic conditions in the tank. Try adding some powerheads. Also, vacuum the gravel more often. It can contributes to anaeroic conditions.

squirt_12
12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
it is my 10g planted puffer tank with:
2 dwarf puffers
4 shrimp

there isn't alot in there.

also it is impossible to gravel vac because there are too many plants to gravel vac.

i could buy a power head to put in there and that would help??? so all i have to do is just get the water moving around some more or something????

my filter doesn't give off alot of water movement so that could be why.

thanks.

Dave66
12-27-2007, 08:19 PM
it is my 10g planted puffer tank with:
2 dwarf puffers
4 shrimp

there isn't alot in there.

also it is impossible to gravel vac because there are too many plants to gravel vac.

i could buy a power head to put in there and that would help??? so all i have to do is just get the water moving around some more or something????

my filter doesn't give off alot of water movement so that could be why.

thanks.

Squirt,
I know it doesn't sound right, but more light will eliminate the cyanobacteria. The extra light and the flow and the cyano will just be a bad memory.

Dave

squirt_12
12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Squirt,
I know it doesn't sound right, but more light will eliminate the cyanobacteria. The extra light and the flow and the cyano will just be a bad memory.

Dave
so what do you say i do????? buy a light that has high wattage/g?????

so what do you recommend i do???

i really need some help....thanks.

Yunachin
12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Cyanobacteria is a pain in the butt. I read something called "thunderstorming" that helps control and eliminate it. Maybe I can find the link...

squirt_12
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Now....Yunachin the problem with some of the medicatiosn is that i have Dwarf Puffers in that tank and since they have thin skin i can't use alot of medications cause it can hurt them.

Incredulous_Ed
12-28-2007, 01:12 AM
you can vacuum the gravel. Dont dig into the gravel, just skim the surface with the siphon, and any gunk should come out. You should be doing this anyway, lol.

Dave66
12-28-2007, 01:57 AM
so what do you say i do????? buy a light that has high wattage/g?????

so what do you recommend i do???

i really need some help....thanks.

I said add more light to your tank. Another strip light fitting would do it. Just make sure the bulb is the same color temperature as the bulbs already over your tank. And if you use a mag-drive pump as I suggested in your other thread it'll increase the flow. The cyanobacteria can't metabolize higher light levels well and with the current, can't attach to objects as easily. It counter-intuitive that more light eliminates cyano, but it does work. Believe me, I've been there and done that.

Dave

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 03:04 AM
ok...one problem about the light though....i just bought everything new and there isn't a spot to put another strip light in there.

Incredulous_Ed
12-28-2007, 06:31 AM
You could get another strip light that is the same size but more light.

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
You could get another strip light that is the same size but more light.
ok...so something that has more wattage per the gallon????

Algenco
12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
ok...so something that has more wattage per the gallon????
when you're ready to upgrade the light, check out AH supply, they sell retro kits with high quality reflectors

http://www.ahsupply.com/

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
thanks Algenco.

For the little more circulation , like Dave said the filter would give if there was one that was made for my size of tank..., could i just get something like this (in the link) and adjust it to circulate the water like Dave said the water should be moving????
http://www.petsmart.com/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3756649r200.jpg

Algenco
12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
that would probably work, you just need to eliminate dead zones. Maybe look into a small canister, that way you have a spare filter lying around ( good excuse to get another tank:thumb: )

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
ok...i think i might get the little powerhead...shoul di look for the smallest one i can find???? and if i can find a little filter that would be better i might get it instead.

also...i have NO IDEA how you understood what i wrote in my last post......i read it after and i was like...."huh??" i didn't even understand what i wrote. lol.

Algenco
12-28-2007, 04:12 PM
ok...i think i might get the little powerhead...shoul di look for the smallest one i can find???? and if i can find a little filter that would be better i might get it instead.

also...i have NO IDEA how you understood what i wrote in my last post......i read it after and i was like...."huh??" i didn't even understand what i wrote. lol.

Its something that comes with old age, listening to 2 yr old grandkids:confused:

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Its something that comes with old age, listening to 2 yr old grandkids:confused:
lol.....yeah that would do the trick. listening to the 2 year old kids.

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
or should i get another little filter for the tank and add it to the opposite side as the other filter for more flow and to help clean the water better????