PDA

View Full Version : Anubias question

crb1701
12-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi Everybody,

I have two Anubius plants (1 nana, 1 barteri) in my new coldwater aquarium setup. I say coldwater because there's no heater, but the temp is not likely to fall under 68 degrees F. Eventually I want to stock some local minnows.

Many of the sources I have come across on the internet say this plant's ideal setting is at least 72 degrees F. I get the sense, however, that many of these sites just copy and paste the same old info and no one has any true experience. One source did give 65 as a low, however.

Has anyone had experience with Anubias in water consistantly under 72 degrees F? And if so, what can I expect?

Thanks,

Curt

Dave66
12-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I've saw Anubis barteri on rocks in a waterfall on a walking trip to Western Africa years and years ago. I remember the water there was in the mid-60's and the pH was a touch under 7.0, but I don't remember it exactly. Just noted the temp, because, like you, in all the books the minimum is listed as 72. Though the waterfall water was cooler than that, the leaves of the Anubis plants were out of it; just the rhizome was submerged. The flowing water environment may indicate Anubis does better with a little flow.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I am so excited about trying the anubias emmersed. From the little bit I've read of them, they sound as they grow huge emmersed. I should get a bunch and just give it a whirl and see how they do.

Dave66
12-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I am so excited about trying the anubias emmersed. From the little bit I've read of them, they sound as they grow huge emmersed. I should get a bunch and just give it a whirl and see how they do.

Anubis is one of those standard plants for those 'river type' aquariums, Hobbsy.

Dave

crb1701
12-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the input. I'm new to the hobby and the Anubias species is one of the nicest looking plants I've come across for the aquarium. I want them to do well. Have a great Christmas,

Curt