PDA

View Full Version : tiki things

Tjones
12-24-2007, 12:17 AM
so i want to do sort of a coconut cave but put it ontop of a platform made of some type of sticks and bound with strings...

my idea came with the coconut cave and seeing pictures of tiki bars on the interweb

the question is what kind of sticks can i use to build said platform that wont rot and cause water polution or other various problems?

any way much apreciated!

off to test water to see if the damn thing finished cycling yet.... its getting closer!

Drumachine09
12-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Your best bet would be bamboo skewers. Make sure they are not coated in anyway.

They shouldn't rot, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RichBowyer
12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Your best bet would be bamboo skewers. Make sure they are not coated in anyway.

They shouldn't rot, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure myself but bamboo was the first thing I thought of too.

cocoa_pleco
12-24-2007, 12:43 AM
as long as theres no varnish or anything on the bamboo it will work

TowBoater
12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't exactly know but an easter island head might look ok with that stuff.

RichBowyer
12-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't exactly know but an easter island head might look ok with that stuff.

I seen that sweet stand he built in the garage so he may be busy chiseling a head out of stone this morning.:grin34:

Lady Hobbs
12-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Would it not be very cool to have a top over the whole tank that had a tiki look to it? Something with hidden doors of course so you could get inside. I love the tiki look.

2manyfish
12-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Bamboo will rot underwater unless you coat it with varnish. I used a polyurethane varnish when I did some bamboo experiments awhile back. Just soak them really well in the varnish and let dry completely. BTW, you want the varnish to go inside the bamboo as well as the outside.
I had read an article on-line about using varnish but I can no longer find the link. But here is a pic of a betta bowl I was doing this on....

2manyfish
12-28-2007, 01:43 AM
Wanted to add a link for a very cool tiki tank! (And others)

www.aquatichouse.com/tanks_files/oceantreasures.asp

Found the link for the bamboo and varnish!

www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Ali%20bamboo.html

Tjones
12-29-2007, 12:35 AM
I seen that sweet stand he built in the garage so he may be busy chiseling a head out of stone this morning.:grin34:

you know its funny you say that because i did make a few ill attempts but all i really have around here is sand stone and lava rock so its a bit hard to work with :/

needless to say im still looking for some way to make nice decor!

i did add some more plants to the tank though looks nice i think !

RichBowyer
12-29-2007, 01:56 AM
you know its funny you say that because i did make a few ill attempts but all i really have around here is sand stone and lava rock so its a bit hard to work with :/

LOL~and what stone would you prefer? Sand stone is fairly soft as far as rock goes. Maybe a dremel and a tungston carbide cutter and maybe a diamond tool for the detail/finish work.......maybe an Easter Island is better without details.

:thumb: your good dude, go for it. (might be a market out there)