PDA

View Full Version : watering house plants

drawnon
12-23-2007, 08:33 PM
my girlfriend is a house plant nut. we used to live out in the sticks and we had a well for water. thats what the plants get watered with. when we moved to the city a couple years ago, all her plants started to turn yellow. she said it was from the city water. so now about once a month we go back to her mothers house in the sticks to fill up gallon juggs with well water for the plants. i remember reading somewhere that some people dump thier old fish water in thier gardens and house plants.
anybody here do that? the only chemical i use in the water is aquasafe for removing chlorine. that would sure save our backs from walking up 3 flights of stairs with gallons of water. i end up dumping about 22 gallons of fish tank water down the drain every sunday.
thoughts?
thanks
james
:wink2:

Dave66
12-23-2007, 09:03 PM
my girlfriend is a house plant nut. we used to live out in the sticks and we had a well for water. thats what the plants get watered with. when we moved to the city a couple years ago, all her plants started to turn yellow. she said it was from the city water. so now about once a month we go back to her mothers house in the sticks to fill up gallon juggs with well water for the plants. i remember reading somewhere that some people dump thier old fish water in thier gardens and house plants.
anybody here do that? the only chemical i use in the water is aquasafe for removing chlorine. that would sure save our backs from walking up 3 flights of stairs with gallons of water. i end up dumping about 22 gallons of fish tank water down the drain every sunday.
thoughts?
thanks
james
:wink2:

James,
Watering terrestrial plants with used aquarium water is an old, old thing. Works perfectly, as the water is 'live' and contains micronutrients the houseplants need.
The reason your girlfriends' plants are turning yellow is the lack of iron and phosphorus that was in your well water. Advise her to use your offal aquarium water and use Miracle-Gro. That'll solve her yellow-leaf problem. Its what I do for house plants.

Dave

Incredulous_Ed
12-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Yup. Watering plants with used aquarium water really helps.

tropfish
12-24-2007, 06:52 PM
i use my aquarium water for my houseplants. ( i have alot of them too lol)

Rue
12-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Yup! I've been using my old aquarium water for watering houseplants as well.

I've only been doing it for about 2 years (don't know why I didn't think of it sooner:c11: )...

...and my plants are so much healthier!!! It's been an amazing transformation...

gm72
12-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree, I do the same thing!

Algenco
12-24-2007, 07:25 PM
use your Python to clean the gravel catching the water in a bucket, let the mulm, fish poop settle, pour off some of the water, use the sediment on you plants and watch them take off!