PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon plant questions...part 2

drawnon
12-23-2007, 06:13 PM
So I posted a question about a planted 10 gallon betta tank a couple weeks ago.
Well, I went out and did it. I replaced my incandescent bulbs with mini fluorescents, and I now have 2 watts per gallon. I also bought some Seachem flourish, at the lfsí recommendation. (whatís the deal with keeping it refrigerated?)
I bought what was labeled as moderate to low light plants. Amazon sword, cork screw plants, and a couple others I cant remember the names. I also stole some java fern from my 29 gallon. ( I cant believe that java fern is still alive in my 29 gallon. When I first got into aquariums 3 years ago I tried some live plants with no success. They all died except this plant. I now know I had very little light. 0.58 watts per gallon. But this thing quadrupled in size with absolutely no help from me. I never give it any fertilizer or plant food. But I also never vacuum around it either. should i use some of this seachem flourish on it?)
From what I understand plants use some waste left by fish?
So thatís why people donít gravel vac heavily planted tanks?
Iím going to attach a pic so you experts can see what Iím talking about.
I would definitely NOT call mine heavily planted. Maybe lightly planted?
My betta canít be making that much waste. Iíve never even seen him poop.
Unlike my mollies, who are poop machines.
So should I just be vacuuming around the plants?
Should I not vacuum at all?
Now when should I fertilize?
I know it should be once a week. Is that correct?
I do my tank maintenance every Sunday. Water changes and such.
Should I use the Seachem flourish after the water change?
Does the carbon in my filters remove the plant food like it does medication?
Should I shut off the filter when I feed the plants?
Now what about co2?
I donít want to mess around with some mad scientist set up.
Is there just some dissolve tabs I could get, or donít I need it?
I donít mind slow growth. But will my plants still be healthy with out it?
Thanks in advance for any info, tips and techniques.
James

Ps. I notice my betta attacks some of the plants. I would think heís finding tiny snails or snail eggs?
That was my punishment regarding my 29 gallon, for jumping into something I had no knowledge about.
I got hit hard with snails. I spent months picking out snails. I also think my 3 kuhli loaches have helped out a lot. Now I only find the occasional huge pest snail maybe once or twice a week.
Thanks again.
Merry x-mass everyone.

drawnon
12-24-2007, 01:26 PM
so now im reading that some kind of root fertilizer is best for the plants I have. I looked at the directions on some and they suggested to use aprox 6 tabs in the gravel once a month. If I go that route, then I shouldnít use the liquid once a week? Is that over feeding?
If anybody wants it, I found the ďEncyclopedia To Aquarium PlantsĒ in pdf format online. Its pretty awesome. pictures and huge explanations. I cant post it because its 200mb. Its 200 pages and looks like someone took the time to scan each and every page of a book. I donít really have any web space to post it for download, so I guess I would have to email it. Unless someone who knows more about this board knows more than me regarding posting. If anybody wants it just shoot me your email and ill send it to you.
Thanks
James

gm72
12-24-2007, 01:52 PM
I bought what was labeled as moderate to low light plants. Amazon sword, cork screw plants, and a couple others I cant remember the names. I also stole some java fern from my 29 gallon. ( I cant believe that java fern is still alive in my 29 gallon. When I first got into aquariums 3 years ago I tried some live plants with no success. They all died except this plant. I now know I had very little light. 0.58 watts per gallon. But this thing quadrupled in size with absolutely no help from me. I never give it any fertilizer or plant food. But I also never vacuum around it either. should i use some of this seachem flourish on it?) No need to fertilize it since it is already doing so well. It is a very hardy plant as you are experiencing.
From what I understand plants use some waste left by fish? Yes, true.
So thatís why people donít gravel vac heavily planted tanks? You got it.
Iím going to attach a pic so you experts can see what Iím talking about.
I would definitely NOT call mine heavily planted. Maybe lightly planted? I'd say somewhere between lightly planted and moderately planted. It looks very nice.
My betta canít be making that much waste. Iíve never even seen him poop.
Unlike my mollies, who are poop machines.
So should I just be vacuuming around the plants? Really no need, the plants will use the waste as fertilizer.
Should I not vacuum at all? I wouldn't. I don't in my 10 gallon planted tanks.
Now when should I fertilize? Follow the directions on the bottle. I use Flourish twice weekly now.
I know it should be once a week. Is that correct? As above.
I do my tank maintenance every Sunday. Water changes and such. Check your water parameters. With plants and a low bioload you may not need to change your water at all. I haven't changed the water in my planted tanks in about month and water parameters are outstanding.
Should I use the Seachem flourish after the water change? As above, but if you do perform a water change you want to fertilize after.
Does the carbon in my filters remove the plant food like it does medication? No, but there is no need to use carbon in a healthy tank.
Should I shut off the filter when I feed the plants? No.
Now what about co2? That is an entirely different animal.
I donít want to mess around with some mad scientist set up.
Is there just some dissolve tabs I could get, or donít I need it? Probably don't need it just yet.
I donít mind slow growth. But will my plants still be healthy with out it? Mine are!
Thanks in advance for any info, tips and techniques.
James

Ps. I notice my betta attacks some of the plants. I would think heís finding tiny snails or snail eggs? Could very well be.
That was my punishment regarding my 29 gallon, for jumping into something I had no knowledge about.
I got hit hard with snails. I spent months picking out snails. I also think my 3 kuhli loaches have helped out a lot. Now I only find the occasional huge pest snail maybe once or twice a week.
Thanks again.
Merry x-mass everyone.

I have posted some advice in red above. Good questions!

drawnon
12-24-2007, 04:18 PM
awesome...thanks so much

gm72
12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Any time!!!!

digital3
12-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks GM, I learned a lot too... :c3:

Ellen4God
12-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Wow! I learned a LOT in this thread. I like the set up of your tank. Will the plants get any taller than that?

drawnon
12-29-2007, 02:42 AM
yes i believe with proper care they could almost double. i think thats when pruning comes into play.

gm72
12-29-2007, 12:16 PM
They will get larger and some plants will propagate themselves as well.