PDA

View Full Version : can crayfish lay eggs without a male?

FISHIES1018
12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I have a crayfish in my tank since about october. for about 3 weeks she has been inside a cave building up the walls around her. this morning my boyfriend noticed her laying eggs. she finally finished a few hours later. is it possible they got fertilized by sperm that had already been there? we dont have any other crayfish in the tank. i just want to know if sperm from a male crayfish can stay on a female for a long time or is this egg laying thing a natural process they go through no matter what the circumstances are. any help would be great.

squirt_12
12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
i would say that they arn't fertilized becasue i don't think that the sperm can stay on for 3 months. But it could possibly beable to.

How many eggs are on the swimmerets?????

what kind of crayfish is it???
what size of tank is it in?

FISHIES1018
12-24-2007, 12:36 AM
It looks to be a huge amount. def more than 100, but she is in a cave so we can't get a good look. she is a freshwater crayfish but to the excact name I don't know right now. Right now she is in a 55 gallon tank. i guess i wont find out about fry until a few weeks from now.

squirt_12
12-24-2007, 02:58 AM
yeah isn't it something like....6 weeks before the eggs hatch???

Crusty
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Really depends on the species of crayfish. To answer your question, yes they can and often do lay eggs without a male. For example if it is a north american species the female stores sperm for months for use when she is ready to lay eggs and they will be fertilized. However if it is a Cherax or Australian species, they will lay eggs but will not be fertilized as they do not store the sperm. But they can lay eggs and not be fertilized with or without a male.

squirt_12
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Really depends on the species of crayfish. To answer your question, yes they can and often do lay eggs without a male. For example if it is a north american species the female stores sperm for months for use when she is ready to lay eggs and they will be fertilized. However if it is a Cherax or Australian species, they will lay eggs but will not be fertilized as they do not store the sperm. But they can lay eggs and not be fertilized with or without a male.
hhhmmm....interesting.....very nice to know. thumbs2: