PDA

View Full Version : need ideas on common thing around the house?

mitcore
12-23-2007, 01:02 AM
i was wondering if anyone knew of common things found around the house that could be cleaned and the put in the tank,

i was think more along the lines of childrens old toys?

any thoughts would be great thanks all

RichBowyer
12-23-2007, 04:37 AM
I think Lincoln Logs would be pretty cool. Build an old submerged cabin. Possibly leach dye...........

Tinker toys would be fun..........

A cabage Patch "dead baby" might be a bit much........

How about some hotwheels. A nice underwater junk yard?

Rock em sock em robots........

How about.........setting up the old battleship game on the bottom?

Beach toys? Sand shovel and bucket?

Got Jarts?~LOL

A set of jacks?

Watch out for Chinese leaded paint and other assorted toxics.

Now how about some ladies suggestions from the gallery?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2007, 04:42 AM
You don't know what things have been painted with and if it's lead paint. I would not use anything not deemed aquarium safe. Some plastic also contain contaniments.

I have a large ceremic frog and may use that in a large tank. That I feel is safe.

KcEE
12-23-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't think putting old toys and stuff around the house in a tank is a good idea at all. Like Hobbs said, you'll never know what it contains. There are some toys that are poisoning kids! Too much lead and stuff.

mitcore
12-24-2007, 03:04 AM
thanks guys

i will be very careful, my thought on it is that is you can give it to a young child then the paint is non toxic, i will be very careful though

thanks again

Arkie
12-24-2007, 03:49 AM
still be careful as kids have been poisioned by toys labelled safe for kids..... even well known brand name toys have been recalled. i probly wouldnt risk the lives of my fishys but each to their own thumbs2:

2manyfish
12-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Things around the house well....clay flowerpots, pvc pipes, eggcrate, marbles....hey, you did ask! :hmm3grin2orange:

I have seen leggo's and those habitrail things for hamsters used in tanks in the past with no ill effects. With all the lead in paints and dyes right now I don't think I'd risk it.
Even when the toys are safe for kids they can still leach stuff out in the water and kill your fish. There are tons of fake decor that you can buy that look like shipwrecks, submerged airplanes, rusty cars, etc....there is even now a fake volcano that lights up and as one who actually likes tacky decor I am sooo wanting to buy this!! :ezpi_wink1:

Harls
12-31-2007, 05:40 AM
i used PVC Pipe and a Jigsaw to make a hut but it has no roof but if u have a corner filter you can put that ontop and it looks real cool!!

YaYgoldFish
12-31-2007, 05:44 AM
How does a PVC Pipe not have a roof? Unless you cut it in half or something? Let me know im interested. Got a picture or something?

snipers_den
01-01-2008, 02:36 AM
my friends son has lego caves and ledge set up in his 20 gallon long its multi-colored and pretty cool looking....plastic army men or maybe set up a WWE wrestling ring

mitcore
01-01-2008, 04:45 AM
cool thanks all

i am going to hunt tonght
i am so excited wonder what i can find????????

i will post pics if i get something in there

cocoa_pleco
01-01-2008, 04:50 AM
lol, a WW2 theme would be sweet. all you would need is 100 plastic army men and a few crashed plane ornaments

mitcore
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
LOL

i have heaps of those
i am going to try and put them through the dish washer first and if they dont melt LOL i will put the in

Lady Hobbs
01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
The toys at the Dollar Stores are already said to contain lead paint. I don't know what Matell is thinking. They're in the business of toys for kids then send their contracts to China and have now had 12-14 (at least) huge recalls for lead based paint. Too bad they thought cheap labor was an option because their reputation is sure in the mud now.

I bought a couple pretty glass vases for one of my tanks. They look pretty cool and the loaches hide in them.

Incredulous_Ed
01-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Be careful. they can leach oisons into the tank.

mitcore
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
i will i need ideas i am wanting to put different things in my tank to make it look very cool and fun for my kids,

what are the best things anyone can think off to help me achieve my goal?

snipers_den
01-08-2008, 06:54 AM
....how about Mr.Potato Head and his friends The Spud Buds ....he would make a interesting fish cave:c10:

mitcore
01-08-2008, 07:19 AM
i never thought of that
maybe i could do a toy story set up
how cool would that be
what a great idea

ryno
01-10-2008, 05:35 PM
If you're into golf I used to have golf balls scattered on the bottom of mine to make it look like a water hazard that likes to take everyones ball. I'd only use new ones though, too many chemicals sprayed on the course.

Pr0eve
01-11-2008, 08:01 PM
to make mine fun for my kids, I play find the snail game. his name is "sneaks" and you do not get to see him a lot, so the first kid to found him/her, err IT gets candy. the baby's do not count.. baby snails that is..

liljagster
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Make sure the toys aren't made in China.

Tooch
01-11-2008, 09:20 PM
If you're into golf I used to have golf balls scattered on the bottom of mine to make it look like a water hazard that likes to take everyones ball. I'd only use new ones though, too many chemicals sprayed on the course.

haha I love this idea!

mitcore
01-12-2008, 03:05 AM
LOL sounds great

these ideas are awesome thanks guys keep them coming

cocoa_pleco
01-12-2008, 03:30 AM
i actually never though about a water hazard tank! a 33g-55g tank with blue gravel, some fast growing plants like java moss, and 10-20 scattered golfballs would look cool!

sanddigger
01-12-2008, 06:09 AM
What do the little ones like?

Depending on their age< (tinker toys would be sweet, plus seems safe for fishies),...let them build their own creation so they can see it in the tank, be proud, and watch their fish around their art the same time.

I would just make sure to soak their tinker toy artwork in very hot H20 (adding boiling H20 off and on) and some salt in a bucket first before putting it in the tank. Rinse well , soak again in the tank H20.

I ring the same bell as all. Be Careful.

No matter what we choose to put in our tanks, it's better to take precautions. If it doesn't seem right, don't put it in the tank at all.

When all is finished, show us the pics.

mitcore
01-21-2008, 06:05 AM
very cool idea

i will let the kids have a go at building something

i will post pics when the creation is done