PDA

View Full Version : What kind of snail is this?

verbosity
12-23-2007, 12:13 AM
He just appeared in my big tank one day.. Too pretty to squash I moved him into my 15g.

A dime is bigger than he is.
And his shell is kind of transparent.

Any body have a clue?
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5746/whatsnailcs2.jpg

msjinkzd
12-23-2007, 12:36 AM
looks like a red ramshorn

Fishguy2727
12-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Nice pattern on the shell.

AABatteries
12-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Sort of looks like Gary from SpongeBob

squirt_12
12-23-2007, 02:26 AM
100% ramshorn....i would reconize one of those anywhere as i have 100+ of them in my 33g...i started out with 3. lol. not to worry you or anything. lol.

NickJennings
12-23-2007, 03:40 AM
I bought a few plants for my tank and I think there must have been a couple of snails hiding in there somewhere.

I've got one of these guys in my tank (now a reasonable size and still growing I think, how big do these fellas get??)

Also got another snail which is far smaller and it's shell moves out of it's body in a swirl, almost like an ice cream or something.

I don't think they're going to breed, and I think I may have been super lucky and just ended up with just a single one of each type, although I don't want to speak to soon!!

msjinkzd
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
they get to about the size of a penny, usually smaller. The other snail you have is probably a common pond snail which also stays small. The two species should not interbreed, however, they are both hemaphroditic meaning they do not need a partner to reproduce and will reproduce readily as long as there is a food source (excess decaying plant matter or excess fish food and algae).

richberstler
12-24-2007, 05:56 AM
I think the "ice cream" snail is maybe a Trumpet. I have dozens of tiny ones and always believed that's what they were.

The pic you had I thought was a pond snail, but now I'm pleased to hear it could be a Ramshorn. I have a few of them in all my tanks and was almost ready to get rid of them to let the Trumpets flourish.

Sounds like I need to do more research.

richberstler
12-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Hmmm, after looking about I think we have Leopard Ramshorn Snails, which every time i see it it's also stated they are unusual. If they're so unusual, why do we have them by accident?

Dave66
12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Hmmm, after looking about I think we have Leopard Ramshorn Snails, which every time i see it it's also stated they are unusual. If they're so unusual, why do we have them by accident?

They can get in all kinds of ways, Rich. Eggs on plants, baby snail on a new fish, dormant snails in gravel, stray egg(s) in a fish bag; all sorts of ways.
I've had a wild burrowing snail similar to a Malaysian Trumpet in my tanks since I took some watercress out of a cold spring near where I lived in NE Arkansas and put in a tank for the fishes' pleasure in 1977. The snails have survived several moves and I've always liked them; they remind me of home. They do a great job aireating the gravel as well.
Some years ago a scientist told me the scientific name of those snails, but I lost it years ago.

Dave

richberstler
12-25-2007, 06:36 AM
But the question I have is if they are UNUSUAL, why do they seem usual. Maybe it's more of a question of did I ID this snail correctly?

So many of these snails appear to look alike, but I was hoping I nailed it down. Please don't make me go looking on the net again lol