PDA

View Full Version : white things on tank glass?

smokeypea
08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Can anyone tell me what these things on are on the glass and how to get rid of them, they are driving me nuts, its tiny white things, in several places on the glass, i wipe them off then the next day they are back again, they look like mini mini dandelion seeds, i do 2 water chanes a week, clean filters and gravel, got 2 filters in tank and airstone, 55 gall with one 3 inch oscar, tried to put algae eater in but Oscar ate it... all water testinga are normal and tank has been up and running for about 3 months, i have asked loads of people including lfs but they dont know , i have a glass cleaner for algae but as i said it comes back day after,, pleaseeeee any advice???

smokeypea
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
sorry, i forgot to add to last post, i also have a 46 gall community tank, dont have any problems with white thing sor anything else with that tank, only difference is that in 55 there is one oscar and of course i feed him different things than i do for the 46 gall tank, its so weird i cant understand it.

DIGITAL
02-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I can tell you what your problem is, you've been adding the water from feeder fish into your tank. What you see is tiny organisms. They are only being noticed now since they grow from eating the crap, and they live on the glass till they get bigger, then they turn into squirmy worms. I have them on my tank, not many now since I been using HADASNAIL, it's a solution that kills snails. You can also add aquarium salt, that should help. I have heard that they ONLY way to get rid of them COMPLETELY is to totally break down the tank and clean it with a 10% bleach 90% water solution.

It's one of the toughest things to get rid of.

cocoa_pleco
02-24-2007, 08:13 PM
could be hydra

cocoa_pleco
02-24-2007, 08:13 PM
a thread from august, jeeze people, stop replying to 10 month old posts. lol

Fishguy2727
02-25-2007, 01:39 AM
This thread is old, but for those with the same problem, it is most likely planaria. Small worms that thrive in tanks with too much waste. That waste is too common in cichlid tanks, especially tansk that are underfiltered, low quality food, not enough gravel cleanings, etc. So to get rid of them or keep them to a minimum you need to make sure these conditions are kept to a minimum.

wendyzim
03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
I also had white bugs. I was told it was from over feeding or feeding live food. I took all the gravel out and cleaned it and then I did 2 50% water changes over a few days. Withregular water changes weekly all of the bugs are gone. Also, I removed driftwood. That seemed to help.

DemonShark
03-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Might be calcium buildup

sxcsamman
03-24-2007, 09:36 AM
the only good way to remove is with good water quality and changes