PDA

View Full Version : Firemouths new diet of tetras?

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
This may well be a diseaster but my tank of silver dollars and firemouths was too crowded. The rocks for the firemouths take up a lot of swimming area.

I put my firemouths in the planted tank and moved the fish from there in with my Dollars. My problem is that I could not catch the gold tetra or black neons. I will put my wetsuit on today and try to catch more but those that remain will probably be fish food. You think?

Gez, look at them all!

TowBoater
12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Neons maybe but anything bigger than that and maybe even the neons will be fine. If you feed them right then they won't chase them, that is just my .02$ but if you can, get them out just in case, a big net helps.:c2: :c12: :22:

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, like one 12 inches wide that can go clear across the tank. LOL

Sorry for the ghasty picture. I can't seem to take a decent picture for nothing. You can now see my Dollars tank and they are appreciating the room.

Algenco
12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Tetra's will become snacks!

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm really afraid of that. I mean, they really are bite size!

KcEE
12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
WOW! I love your tanks hobbs!

nanaglen2001
12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
How big are those Tetras???

My fully grown Cichlids IGNORE tiny Endler males, and I bet those Tetras of yours are bigger. As far as I am concerned, a Tetra should be safe if its at least 2 cm long.

TowBoater
12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
How big are those Tetras???

My fully grown Cichlids IGNORE tiny Endler males, and I bet those Tetras of yours are bigger. As far as I am concerned, a Tetra should be safe if its at least 2 cm long.

YES!! I was right, MUWAHAHA!!!:c2:

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 10:52 PM
WOW! I love your tanks hobbs!

Well thank you. I usually hate my tanks compared to everyone elses.

I did a 75% water change and when the level was down, went in swinging my two nets. I caught one measly little gold tetra. The others will stay there. So far they are not drawing any attention at all. Firemouths are too darned busy chasing the featherfin and the algae eater. They don't seem to mind any swimmers but don't like the bottom feeders.

Juannie
12-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Well I have a weird one, I've got a large severum, a prob 10cm long firemouth, suckers catfish, large kribs and none of them have touched the baby kribs on my tank. I honestly thought they may have been eaten by now but no one is interested. And, that's not because of the parents because the babies are all over the tank.

Very perculiar, hope your tetras are ok.

TowBoater
12-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I can understand the severums and most firemouths are timid. That is probably the reason.

Juannie
12-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Aha, that explains it, they're gorgeous but they hide a lot (well my severum tries) but it's too big. thanks!

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Apparently they are more aggressive with each other than other species but so far the little guys are still in there.

nanaglen2001
12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Hobbs

A Firemouth is just a Showman...Lots of flaring mostly against each other, but otherwise for a Cichlid, a peaceful animal.

2manyfish
12-23-2007, 03:00 AM
I hope your tetras will be alright Hobbs! I have to say that I love your tanks! :1luvu: Not only do your silver dollars look happy but you have a lovely school of black skirts (aka black widows)...one of my favorite tetras!

Slight change of subject; hubby and I were at a new pet store today and they had a tank with a firemouth pair and a gadzillion fry! Absolutely adorable!!! Are you hoping your fish will breed??

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2007, 05:36 AM
I doubt I will have much choice. In picking them out, I thought I had 2 females as they were colorless. But alas, they are all turning a bright red now so how do I know what I have? LOL What I thought was a big male is a big female thanks to Nanaglen for telling me otherwise. I do have one that is very bossy for a wee guy and him I think for sure is a male.

Here are two that I bought all gray and now you can see them coloring up nicely.

I like them a lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/X-Hobbs%20fish%20PRIVATE/2FM.jpg

spudbuds
12-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Nice looking firemouths Hobbs. I can see why you all have so many tanks. I want some cichlids now.