PDA

View Full Version : Time for a stocking list, advice needed

~Erik3.8.07~
12-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Now that i have my clean up crew its time to decide upon a final stocking list. I have been looking around in my LFS and online trying to decide what i can get. I want a clown fish for sure but dont know what else.

the fish i am interested are:

Ocellaris Clownfish
6 Line Wrasse
Bangaii Cardinalfish
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Court Jester Goby
Purple Firefish
Royal Gramma
Flasher Wrasse
Flame Angelfish (probably not but thought i'd ask anyway)

I do NOT plan on keeping all those fish, those are simply what im interested in and have looked into a little. I am wondering which would make the best combination of fish for my 10 gallon tank.

unleashed
12-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Now that i have my clean up crew its time to decide upon a final stocking list. I have been looking around in my LFS and online trying to decide what i can get. I want a clown fish for sure but dont know what else.

the fish i am interested are:

Ocellaris Clownfish
6 Line Wrasse
Bangaii Cardinalfish
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Court Jester Goby
Purple Firefish
Royal Gramma
Flasher Wrasse
Flame Angelfish (probably not but thought i'd ask anyway)

I do NOT plan on keeping all those fish, those are simply what im interested in and have looked into a little. I am wondering which would make the best combination of fish for my 10 gallon tank.

You can only have ONE fish in your tank

I would go for either:

Court jester goby
Purple firefish
a small clownfish (like percula or false percula)

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 01:19 AM
only 1? i thought i could at least have 2

unleashed
12-21-2007, 03:19 AM
only 1? i thought i could at least have 2

nope. only one would be suitable in my opinion.

unless of course you bought a mated pair of fish, in which case it might be plausible to have two

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
hmmm.... well i had been considering going for a pair of clowns so maybe i'll go with that and try to get lucky

cocoa_pleco
12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
2 clowns or one clownfish and one firefish would work

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 08:32 PM
ive heard that firefish can be pretty boring tho and after thinking about it i think im gonna get a clown and a 6 line wrasse. I plan on getting the clown between the 30th and the 2nd and then the wrasse about a week after that. That should give my cleanup crew enough time to do some good cleaning

unleashed
12-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Your tank is too small for a sixline wrasse. They swim all day long and your tank cannot give it enough room. Just remember, your tank will not have 10g of water in it, once you take into account the water displacement by LR, sand, corals etc

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 08:52 PM
i didnt relize they were that active, maybe a royal gramma instead, ive read that they are not as active

Fenix
12-21-2007, 08:54 PM
go for the Flame Angelfish because really its about your enjoyment. who cares about the fish.:4:

unleashed
12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
my blackcap basslet (Gramma melacara) is from the same genus as the royal grammas (Gramma loreto). My blackcap darts around the tank all day long.

Be aware that all grammas are very territorial fish and once he becomes established in your 10g, you might have some problems with him and a clown

Tolley
12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Fenix i think making the fish happy would be more of a priority.

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
go for the Flame Angelfish because really its about your enjoyment. who cares about the fish.:4:

fenix please dont ever make a statement like that again, the fish is very important and i care about my fish very much and want them to be happy.

my blackcap basslet (Gramma melacara) is from the same genus as the royal grammas (Gramma loreto). My blackcap darts around the tank all day long.

Be aware that all grammas are very territorial fish and once he becomes established in your 10g, you might have some problems with him and a clown

ive heard that they and the wrasses can get aggressive, if i were to get either one they would be added last, hopefully then they wont claim the whole tank and will live peacefully with the clown

unleashed
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM

You can't really say that about marine fish. They are not expendible pets. Very few species are bred in captivity and if one dies because it was not properly looked after, that is one less fish that could have thrived in the ocean to continue the population. Soon, prices of fish even in North America will go up becuase demand will exceed supply. I know two very good importers here in New Zealand who both say that decent fish are becoming harder to find in large quantities........

cocoa_pleco
12-21-2007, 09:04 PM
woah, fenix, watch what you say. who are we to steal fish from the ocean? if we humans have enough guts to steal from the ocean we can at least take care of what we steal

unleashed
12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
ive heard that they and the wrasses can get aggressive, if i were to get either one they would be added last, hopefully then they wont claim the whole tank and will live peacefully with the clown

you'd be suprised how quickly they can take over a small tank all to themselves.......

If I were you, I would go for a species of goby like firefish and maybe a clown. Christmas is next week so get your parents to get you a Helfrichi Firefish. they are amazing

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 09:08 PM
i love how they look, but i have heard that they are really boring and dont move mcuh, is that true?

Fenix
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
First of all i was being sarcastic to make a point about adding too many fish, even though it would not be in the best interest of the fish. I guess i could have taken another approach.

Second. I m not a fan of many pets, fish to a lesser degree. I just don't think we should keep animals like gerbils and rabbits as pets. Because really they would be much happier in nature with the company of others animals.
Keeping fish isn't as cruel as keeping other pets cause creating a natural environment for them is much easier to do than for other animals.

~Erik3.8.07~
12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
sorry didnt seem like sarcasm, kinda hard to tell on a forum, anyways im not overstocking my tank, im just figuring out what works together and what doesnt that can live in a 10

Dave66
12-21-2007, 09:32 PM
sorry didnt seem like sarcasm, kinda hard to tell on a forum, anyways im not overstocking my tank, im just figuring out what works together and what doesnt that can live in a 10

In a 10, Eric, your choices are tiny. A single firefish or a Pseudochomis is all your little tank can handle. The dottyback is far more active than the goby. Ten gallons is far too small for more than one tiny fish. Marines aren't like freshwater; you can't put multiple fish of any kind in it.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
12-21-2007, 11:26 PM
an environment for them is much easier to do than for other animals.

some fish still dont have it as good in tanks as nature, like neon tetras. in nature theyre in schools of 1000's

eric, firefish arent dull, ive found them to be quite interesting actually