PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler Crab Setup

tootie123
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
I've decided to turn my 10 gallon tank into a brackish setup for fiddler crabs. Everytime I visit the local petsmart they have a tank full of fiddler crabs. They look so cool and I think I'd enjoy them. I dont know how many I want to get. I read somewhere that they only get o be 1-2in long including claws. I have half the supplies needed, and Im saving up to get the other supplies. Im planning on making the setup really simple, but I still want it to have a natural look to it. My 10g stays around 79-80F, is that an alright temp? I already have gravel in the tank and I was wondering if its alright to use it. I only need to buy marine salt, a hydrometer, and a new test kit. Im planning on having the tank setup by the end of December. Ill get some pics of it setup how I like it.

tootie123
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
http://guitarfish.org/images/posts/eriocaulon_decangulare/eriocaulon_decangulare_ditch-10-28-2006.jpg
Are the rocks in this pic ok to use in my setup?

squirt_12
12-20-2007, 11:12 PM
o...first of all....you CAN us grael but sand is better as the crabs like to burrow and you should onlg have about 1-2gallons of water in the tank as the crabs HAVE TO HAVE LAND to go onto. Also you should make a huge pile of sand out of the water for them to burrow in. They will eat any kind of plant you put into the tank.
those rocks that are in the pic are fine to use. Do the vinegar test and if it passes then scrub them down good. (pour vinegar on the rocks and it they fizz they are no good....if they don't fizz then they are safe to use)
you can get about 1-3 crabs into the tnak but i would only get 1 male. (the males are the ones with the big claw....females have no big claw).
they eat veggie rounds, shrimp pellets, crab pellets, flake food, blodworms, brine shrimp, shrimp, pellet food, any meaty food.
well i think that i covered everything...i can post a pic of what my fiddler crab setup looks like??????? ok i will.

EDIT - the tnak was just cleaned thats why the water is cloudy..also it is a 20gallon tank. and i have 2 males and 4 females in it.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 07:08 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/deshaunwhite/toot-2.jpg
This is a drawing of how Im setting the tank up. I started doing it last night. If I set my tank up as shown above, I'll save money and I can have my fiddler crabs by this weekend. All Im gonna have to buy is a hydrometer, sea salt, and a test kit. Im gonna add my heater to the bottom of the tank in the back. It's at 80F is that ok? I also have some small river stones for the tank. The tank must have lots of humidity because you barely see throught the glass. I also added a desk lamp beside the tank and it provides lots of light. Im gonna get some pics of it when Im done setting it up. The petsmart where I'll be getting them has them in a terrestrial setup. How do I know if its brackish or not. I hate asking them because they give bad info.

Materials I have
tank
thermometer
heater
filter
gravel
decorations
food
dechorinator
net
lighting
secure cover

Meterials Needed
sea salt
hydrometer
test kit (im gonna get 1 with nitrate, nitrite, total hardness, total alkalinity, and pH level)

tootie123
12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
I heard that you can get 4 if they are all female.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I had sand when I had fish and it was so annoying. Thats why im going with gravel.

squirt_12
12-21-2007, 08:25 PM
80F is ok but if you can i would turn it down a little....i have mine at 75F and they are doing great.

I do not know how to tell if it is brackish or not because i just guess when i add salt.

the setup looks nice.

EDIT - yes there is alot of humidity...it is from the water triny go evaporate.
Also...they will NOT HAVE BABIES if you have 1male and 1 female. They need natural pigments inorder to survive (the larvae)

tootie123
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Do they need a heater or a filter?

squirt_12
12-21-2007, 09:01 PM
you should have both....right now i only have a heater but i am going to get a filter. A submersable filter or a repto filter would work fine.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 09:03 PM
I have an Elite Mini Filter in the tank.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 09:03 PM
The filter has a strong current is that ok?

squirt_12
12-21-2007, 09:04 PM
well whatever it is...it should work....the crabs are very dirty.

squirt_12
12-21-2007, 09:04 PM
The filter has a strong current is that ok?
yeah it should be fine....if the crabs are having a hard time then you can turn it down or get another one with a current that isn't so strong.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 09:13 PM
I read on a site that I can have four females in the 10g. They said if I get a male he should be the only one in the tank. Im gonna see if I can go to petco and get the sea salt and hydrometer. I have a $5 gift card from petco so that will help. What do I use to add the sea salt to the tank? Do I keep adding salt until it reaches a certain level of salinity? When Im done adding the salt and I wait Im gonna get 1 fiddler crab and if it stays alive I'll get 2-3 more. Im gonna upgrade to a bigger tank after christmas so dont be angry with me. How do I acclimate them if the Petsmart where I'll be getting them keeps the in freshwater? How do I acclimate them is theyre brackish? Im new to brackish. The petsmart where I'll be getting them has them in a terrestrial setup with gravel and they have a waterfall that goes into the water. I really want to get them today since this might be the only day Im gonna get a chance to go to Petsmart or Petco.

squirt_12
12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
well i have never heard of 4 female going into a 10g and if you add a male it can be the only one?? weird.
what site is it??

to add the salt use a bucket and then add the salt to the bucket of water and then add the water to the tank.

to acclimate them you can just put the crabs right into the tank. Thats what i did and mine are doing great. They are pretty hardy.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 09:42 PM
So when preparing the salt water all you have to do is get a bucket, pour some in, mix it together, and check the salinity. How long does it take to prepare the salt water? If I buy the salt today and the crabs can they wait in another container while I prepare it or will it stress them out? I read that fiddler crabs are ok in low-end brackish water. Im gonna get a small bag of marine salt since a big container is almost $16. Im debating on whether or not to get the hydrometer that looks like a thermometer or the on you fill with water. I have a small container I can use for their drinking water (needs to be dechlorinated and freshwater prepared daily). I have all types of fish food. I have dechlorinator. The tank is already setup and there is dry land. There is a heater in the tank at 80F and there is a small filter in the tank (rated for 1-5 gallons). I was asking if I needed a heater since our house stays in the low 70s. Im gonna do waterchanges every 2 days. I have a lamp next to the tank and I made sure everything is secure so they cant get out. Im gonna go with gravel in this tank and when I upgrade to a larger tank Im gonna go with playsand. Im still lost with acclimating them. I read squirt_12's post and thought he just waited till the temp was stable and added them. I still wondering if the salt levels have to be the same. Do I need to have calicium for the tank? I used to have snails and someone suggested I go out and buy a cuttlebone. I have a calcium mineral stone that says its made with calcium and iodine. I read somewhere that fiddlers need them both. I only added on fake plant (which is silk) to the tank as Im afraid of then eating the plastic ones I have. I think I have everything needed forr them and if I dont I'll get the supplies. If You guys think Im ready to get the then I'll get 1 today and get more tomorrow. I dont want them to die so people give me all the info you think I need to know and more.

tootie123
12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I know they need sand, but I like gravel better. I saw this website any they provide info on them and they keep their crabs in a setup with gravel. Here is a link to the website.http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Fiddler%20Crabs.htm

tootie123
12-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Im gonna get sea salt and the hydrometer.

tootie123
12-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Im going to wait till after chrsitmas and get the supplies and fiddlers.

squirt_12
12-22-2007, 04:43 PM
good idea.....when you go to get the crabs...i would get 2. Just so that they have someone to be with. cause i heard you saying that you were going to buy 1 first.

also...they WILL shed their exoskeleton as they grow...when they do..leave it in the tank as they will eat it and get the calcium out of it.

tootie123
12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I read that they dont need a heater. Is that true?

squirt_12
12-23-2007, 01:23 AM
depends on how warm the room there are in is.

what is the temp always at in the room they are in??? it should be a stable temperature.

tootie123
12-23-2007, 02:51 AM
The temp stays in the lower 70s.

tootie123
12-23-2007, 02:53 AM
I tested the rock I kept asking about and its ok to use. Im gonna add it after Im done cleaning it. I just got new batteries for my camera so Im gonna tank some pics of my tank. It looks pretty bare so I hope the new rock makes it look better.

squirt_12
12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
well if it is in the low 70s then it should be fine....cause my tank is at 75F. with a heater so i think that 70-75 would be alright.

i would love to see some pics.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 06:13 AM
I think Im gonna be getting my fiddlers this Saturday. Can someone give me all the info I'll need to know when setting up the tank and etc. Just give me info on acclimating, feeding, and other stuff. I enjoy reading anything new. Theres not much on the web about them.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Im still confused about the sea salt mixing and acclimating them. I also need help on how many I should get. I want them all. lol :)jk

tootie123
12-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Still dont know if I should get gravel or sand. Gonna see if I can stop by Lowes and pic up some sand.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Anyone there?

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
ok...i would get the sand. It is alot better for the crabs as they can and will try to burrow in it.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=13371
this link shows you how to clean it and everything....you don't have to follow the amout they used though.

TO acclimate them...you can just pour a little bit of the brackish water on the over a period of 2 hours if you want. So put them into a plastic container (big enough they can move around and get out of the water[eg. put a rock in it]) an then add a little bit of the brackish water every 15 minutes for 2 hours and they will be good. But all i did was just put them straight in the brackish water. But if you are a little more cautious then you can do the 2 hour thing.

About the sea salt mixing...i am not 100% sure how much you need as i just guess all the time.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
What salinity level will they need? WIll it harm them if I put them right in the tank? Im planning on getting mine tomorrow. What type of foods do they eat? Still dont know how many to get.

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:01 PM
about the salinity i am not sure. I just put about 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon. But you should get someone else to clarify that for you.

I feed mine crab cusine (by hakari), shrimp pellets, veggie rounds, flake food, pellets, bloodworms (frozen), brine shrimp (frozen), they will pretty well eat anything.

it is the 20g right??? if so you can get about 4-6.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Im gonna go with what you do for your salinity. Im gonna get a 5 gallon bag of sea salt and get more when needed. So all I have to do is get like 2-3 gallons of water at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon and mix it together and let the salt sit. Im gonna make a stop by Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have any sand. With a big bag of sand like they have I wont need more for a long time. Squirt_12 did you use a filter with your setup or do you perform waterchanges every few days. Do they need a container to hold their food? And the tank is the 10 gallon. Im gonna use the 20 gallon long after I see how the 10 gallon setup goes. So how many in the 10 gallon?

tootie123
12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
I was at Petco and they have a hydrometer that looks like a thermometer that bobs in the water. They also have one that you fill with water. Which one would be better to use?

squirt_12
12-28-2007, 04:23 PM
i would use the one you fill with water.

I use a reptofilter in my tank and it works like magic....the water is crystal clear. I just got it so before i got it i used to do water changes every 3 days, and since you wotn have very much water...i used air line hose to perform the water changes and to get the debris off of the sand. TO get the debris off of the sand...hold the tube about 1 inch (or as close as you can get without sucking up sand) and the debris will come right into the tube.

EDIT - you can get 2-3 in a 10g

tootie123
12-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I recently chatted with a friend who has fiddlers and he uses gravel for the substrate. He said it works fine and they dont seem to be bothered by it.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I just looked up the playsand online at Lowes. Its the Quikrete brand and its 50lbs of sand. The website says its been sterilized, strained and screened. Its usually $5.07, but where I live its $3.35. Thats a great deal. Im not gonna let that offer go. I'll be making a stop by there either today or saturday. And I'll save money because I was gonna buy a bag of sand that they sell at the Petco that cost like $15.

tootie123
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone there?

squirt_12
12-29-2007, 02:52 PM
ok well once you ge tthe sand....clean it out AS GOOD AS YOU CAN.....and until the water in the bucket is crystal clear. If you don't...then the water in the tank is going to be borwn and you wont beable to see anything.

The fiddlers may seem to be fine in the gravel but they don't like it as much because they can't play around in it and dig in it. thats why most people use sand.

tootie123
12-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I'll be getting mine today! There should really be a fiddler crab forums somewhere.

tootie123
12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
I didn't get the fiddlers yesterday because I still need my questions answered.

tootie123
12-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I didn't get them. But I'll need more info.

squirt_12
12-30-2007, 11:53 PM
What other questions?????

you need to tell us the questions you need answered????

tootie123
12-31-2007, 12:22 AM
How many should I get and do I need a food dish?

squirt_12
12-31-2007, 03:12 AM
ok this is the 10g right???
you can get.....about 2-4 of them. 4 at the max.

you don't have to get them a dish...you can use a old plastic lid or something. What i do is just throw mine straight into the water.

But with throwing mine right into the water...i also have about 50+ fish, 10 snails and 6 shrimp in the tank. So any extra food + the food i feed them fish...other things will eat it.

a thing about the food. You should get something with calcium in it ment for crabs. THis will help keep their shell good and strong.

tootie123
12-31-2007, 03:36 AM
Im planning on getting around 3-4 crabs. Is this all females or does it include males. I heard males will fight. They're gonna be the only ones in the tank. How big do they get? Im gonna buy crab bites I've seen at the petstore. Do they eat ghost shrimp?

tootie123
12-31-2007, 03:42 AM
Do fiddler crabs have the same care as red crabs? I want to know how to care for them both if Petsmart has red crabs instead of fiddlers. I cant believe the Petsmart here actually keeps their crabs in a terrestrial setup.:ssuprised:

tootie123
01-02-2008, 03:22 AM
I picked up a new thermometer, a hydrometer, and a bag of marine salt. I mixed some of the salt with the water I had in the tank already. How long should I wait before testing the water with the hydrometer? I ended up getting the one that you fill with water. The directions they gave are a bit complicated so I'll need some help with that. The water is abit cloudy from the salt and I have the filter running in the tank to agitate the water. And someone told me that they dont need a heater and they are fine at room temp. Is that a true statement? In about 3-4 days I'll be getting a couple of fiddlers.

cocoa_pleco
01-02-2008, 04:34 AM
if your room is warm and the tanks at 75F youre fine, wait 10 minutes to test with the hydrometer

squirt_12
01-02-2008, 04:41 AM
fiddler crabs and red crabs are a little different but they are mainley the same. The fiddlers need more salt than the red crabs do.

With the 3-4 crabs you are going to get....you can have 1 male and 3 females. I have 2 males in my 20g and have never seen them fight....BUT i also have 2 females for each male....so that helps keep down the fighting.

From my experience they do not eat ghost shrimp. I bought some for my fiddlers....and they havn't ate them yet and i have had tem for about a month.

tootie123
01-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Everytime I test the water with the hydrometer it goes all the way to the highest level. I have an instant ocean hydrometer. The water in the tank has cleared. Maybe Im using the hydrometer wrong. Can someone give me step by step easy instructions on how to use it? Someone told me that ghost shrimp have calcium and I was planning on giving them some as an occasional treat.

cocoa_pleco
01-02-2008, 05:56 AM
you dip the hydrometer into the water and let it fill to the line at the top then read it, if its at the very top you have a high salinity, add freshwater

squirt_12
01-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Someone told me that ghost shrimp have calcium and I was planning on giving them some as an occasional treat.
yes they do....you can give them some and they MIGHT eat them but mine didn't.....also when they shed their skin LEAVE IT IN THE TANK as they will eat it and get calcium from it. When you go to buy your food...look for crab food that has calcium in it. My hikari crab cuisine pellets do so i feed them that. They are really good for them as the have the componets that a fiddler crab needs in its diet.

tootie123
01-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Im gonna go test it now and I'll post the salinity level. Where should the level be? How long should I wait before adding the crabs? I was thinking of getting them Friday or Saturday.

tootie123
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
There's about 2 gallons of water in the tank. I got a bag of salt that was for 5 gallons of water and added alittle out of the bag. Then I mixed it together and put a small filter in the bucket to agitate the water. Then after about 10-15 min. I added the water to the tank and tested it. I waited until today and tested it again and got the same thing. But the water has cleared.

squirt_12
01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
well then you probably added to much salt. I think that you should aim for around 1.008 something like that as i think SW is at 1.026

i would add the salt to the bucket and then add the salt....then let it sit and the test it...if you have too much salt add some more FW to the bucket.

tootie123
01-04-2008, 04:44 AM
I think I did mix to much salt. I mixed some more salt and water together in a bucket and waited a while and tested it and is around 1.008-1.010. Is that ok? I added the new water to the tank yesurday and everythings looks fine. Planning on getting the fiddlers either tomorrow or Saturday.

tootie123
01-04-2008, 04:45 AM
And how long does water have to sit to remove all traces of chlorine?

squirt_12
01-04-2008, 04:48 AM
yes the 1.008-1.010 should be fine. For the chlorine....do you have dechlorinator??? you should add dechlorinator to all of your water.

tootie123
01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I just ran out yesterday. I just wanted to know because I heard if you leave it out for 24hrs the chlorine will go away. But Im gonna pick some up today. I'll probably be coming home with my fiddler crabs also. SO when I bring them home I can drop them into the tank? Do they eat goldfish food? Im just curious.

squirt_12
01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
i wouldn't feed them goldfish food. Mine eat omega one tropical fish food, frozen blood worms, shrimp pellets, veggie rounds, freeze dried tubifex worm, frozen brine shrimp, and hakari crab cusine.

tootie123
01-14-2008, 04:38 AM
How should I feed them the shrimp pellets?

squirt_12
01-14-2008, 07:20 PM
How should I feed them the shrimp pellets?
when i feed them the pellets i drop them directly into the water. This way it is easier for them to eat as the pellet will absorb some water and be softer and the crab can eat it easier. I give mine about 2-4 pellets a day per crab. Some times i will give about 6 but i have about 60 feeder guppies, snails, and shrimp in the tank that will eat the leftovers for them. So just give them about 2-4 each before you turn the light off at night and if there are some left over in the morning leave it and the next time you feed them give them 1 less.

What all are you using to feed them with??? like what kinds of food??
you should use something that has calcium in it to help their shells (body) stay strong

tootie123
01-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Im feeding them shrimp pellets. I dropped one on the land part today to see if they'd go for it.

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 02:36 AM
with mine....i find that they eat better at night. but they will eat during the day.
how many did you get??
are shrimp pellets all you are feeding them???

tootie123
01-15-2008, 04:06 AM
I got three just to be on the safe side. Im trying to see if they'll eat first then I'll feed them more food. They dont seem to like for me to come near the tank at all.

squirt_12
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I got three just to be on the safe side. Im trying to see if they'll eat first then I'll feed them more food. They dont seem to like for me to come near the tank at all.
thats ok....they are just getting used to the surroundings and sometimes they will just run away as youa re bigger than them. Some of my females still run away when i come to the tank...but the males usually stay out.

tootie123
01-19-2008, 05:16 AM
Can they be kept on a room temp tank?

cocoa_pleco
01-19-2008, 05:18 AM
is your house warm?

tootie123
01-19-2008, 05:22 AM
I think it stays around 70F.

cocoa_pleco
01-19-2008, 05:24 AM
id maybe get a 25w heater or a 50w heater (if a 50w turn it on a low setting)

Levi
01-19-2008, 05:26 AM
i almost got some fiddlers instead of a crayfish

tootie123
01-19-2008, 05:26 AM
Im gonna be doing a water change. I wanted to to know that incase I need to get both waters at the same temp.

squirt_12
01-19-2008, 03:28 PM
i would get a heater for the tank as it should be at 75F. And also if it is at room tamp it may change. Also...if you want the water to be the same temp.....all you have to do is when you are getting the water from the tap you just make it around the same temperature.

tootie123
01-20-2008, 07:46 PM
My fiddlers have yet to molt. They have eaten, but they continue to hide.

tootie123
01-20-2008, 11:35 PM
I just fed them each a shrimp pellet. I added new water to the tank also.

squirt_12
01-22-2008, 12:14 AM
for the molting. It can take a while. It depends how old and how big they are. If they are little thent hey are going to molt many times. But if they are larger then they are goign to molt less times. Also when they molt their brown colour goes kind of white and then that it how you will tell if theya re going to molt. Don't forget.....when they do molt....leave the shell in there as they will eat it and get the calcium out of it.

Do you mean you gave them 1 shrimp pellet each???? you could probably feed a little more.

have you found food with calcium in it yet????

tootie123
01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the people at petsmart gave me red claw crabs and fiddler crabs. They have yet to molt and I think one of them doesnt have claws at all. They have eaten. I feed them shrimp pellets and flakes. They usually rest beside the filter, but one has started to go under the piece of driftwood I have in the tank.

squirt_12
01-27-2008, 10:42 PM
um....if they don't have claws....then how are they eating??? do you mean big claws????? i am lost.

um....could you post a pic of them and i can tell you whet they are.

tootie123
01-28-2008, 02:12 AM
I think I got confused with them. I think I have just fiddler crabs. I think it does have claws, but it moves so fast I can hardly see them. Does shrimp pellets contain calcium?

squirt_12
01-28-2008, 02:45 AM
no they don't. they have a little like tiny but not near enough that they need.
can you not find anything like hikari crab cuisine??? http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/food/hikari/crabcuisine.jpg
thats what i feed mine and it has added calcium on top of the calcium already in it. So it is really good. You can feed some of these with the shrimp pellets so it is a good thing to look for. If you can't ask your LFS if they can order it in for you.

tootie123
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
One of my fiddler crabs molted a couple of days ago. I left the molt in the tank and a few days later it was gone. I just did a water change today. I moved some things around and theres much more room. Im planning on getting another tank probably later and I'll put a few in it. I tried the fiddlers in gravel and it works fine. One made a burrow under a piece of driftwood I had in the tank. Why is it that they always crowd around the heater and the filter I have in the tank? The next time I go to Petsmart Im gonna pick up a few ghost shrimp for them.

squirt_12
02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
cool...molting is a good sign. means they are eating and growing. great work :thumb: yeah they ate it fast to get the calcium out of it.
I have yet to figure out why they hide under the filter and heater. Mine do it to. My guess is that they are just trying to find a place to hide so they think that they are secure in there.

Could you post pics of what it looks like??? the tank??

tootie123
02-12-2008, 04:59 AM
I did a water change and I remembered I didnt prepare the salt water. So I just added them into the tank. They seem to move around more and interact with each other since I did that.

squirt_12
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
they are doing better after the water change???
i don't understand what you mean.

tootie123
02-24-2008, 05:41 AM
I did a water change and while doing the water change I realized I hadn't prepared the salt water for the tank. So I just added freshwater. A few minutes after I did the water change and added the freshwater they seemed to move around more than they did when the water had salt. I think they enjoy the freshwater. I just noticed that they seem to enjoy each others company. They all sit in this one corner of the tank on land. This is just out of curiousity. Would it be ok to house 1 in a 2 gallon terrestrial tank with water changes being done every other day?

tootie123
02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
One of the fiddler crabs must've molted last night. Theres a molt fight in the middle of the tank. Two of them are over in the corner where they always are and one is on top of the filter I have in the tank. Im guessing thats the one that molted.

squirt_12
02-24-2008, 10:31 PM
um...well they may move around more in FW but no matter they need BW. I don't know why they are moving more...maybe cause the water was clean???
Umm...no i wouldn't put a fiddler in a 2g tank. That is WAY to small. You could put one in a 5g maybe?? 2g is too small....like living in a closet.

Congrats on the molt. Make sure you leave the molt in the tank as they will eat it for the calcium.

BrittasaurasREX
04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
so, i just set up a new aquarium for my fiddler crabs and i just got sand for them. i've treated the water and let it set for a day before adding them...is my water suppossed to be a little cloudy? i was thinking that it was maybe because of the sand..its not too cloudy, definitely better than it was..but i'm just curious.

Aeonflame
04-13-2010, 12:24 AM
If its cloudy because of particles from the sand, It will clear up in a day or two. Sometimes water also appears cloudy because of air bubbles trapped in it. This too shall pass.

LurkingGrue
04-27-2010, 03:05 AM
Hey since this thread has apparently been brought back from the long long ago I wonder if I could voice a question about fiddlers .
Several weeks ago I put a fiddler in a tank with fish and water that's filled to the brim . After it showed repeated and aggressive attempts to escape (one successful) I purchased a tight fitting lid to seal him in . But I see much earlier in this thread that someone insists they be given a dry area in their enclosure . I didn't think much of its attempts to escape since I've seen other critters that are apparently fully aquatic attempt this as well, but now I'm wondering if I'm causing any real and lasting harm to the crab by keeping him submerged .

How pressing of a health issue is this ? If its going to be literally unable to survive this way in the long term I think the only solution is to return him to a store . :|

CaitySue
07-08-2011, 03:00 AM
I'm say you could maybe add a little piece of something for them to climb on and that would work. Like the type that comes in hermit crab cage kits. So they can get elevated out of the water for a while.

Spidyman
07-11-2011, 02:18 AM
They also need brackishwater. Just an FYI

PainIgniter
09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2gBqYnsx1Q. As you can see, this is a 5 gallon hawkeye aquarium with florescent light. This is just a set-up until I get a better idea of arranging thing. So reply and suggest to me too please :). Are there things I need to make better, and what kinda filter are you guys using, if you use any? :goldfish: :fish:

PainIgniter
09-22-2011, 11:17 PM
They also need brackishwater. Just an FYI

That right! Fresh water will harm them slowly. will last up to two weeks. Pet shops don't know about this apparently.