PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feed your anglefish?

plow
12-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I have four "teenage" angels in a 120l tank, and a couple of pleco's.. I have the tank planted with about 10 to 12 live plants about 15 to 20 cm's tall on average.. I have an internal filter

I want my angels to grow as fast as possible, so I would like to know how often I should feed them, keeping in mind nitrate balance for algae and nitrates. I vaccum the substrate and change about 30 litres of water once a week. the substrate is very small black crushed granite stones. So far nitrate levels have been sitting around 20 (ppm?) with frequent water changes.

How much is too much feeding and how often? Will the plants take care of a portion of excess waste?

So far I have been feeding them frozen mosquito larvae which they like, and occasionally cichlid sticks.. which they dont seem to like at all. They hardly even budge when I feed them the sticks...

How do you measure how much to feed them by the way, one persons "pinch" can be another persons handful..

a lot of questions I know but hopefully somone can point me the right way :thumb:

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
120l is about 30 gallons. Your tank is not big enough for 4 angels (grown) much less the two pleco's that will reach 1 ft so you need to keep in mind that some of them will be needing moving into another tank before too long.

Angels are very territorial and spawn about every 3 weeks. It works very well to just have a mated pair in a tank with 15 gallons per angel. Otherwise there will be constant fighting.

Pleco's don't belong with angels anyway as they are known to suck on flat sized fish like discus and angels.

I fed my growing angels 3 times per day. Enough that the food did not sink to the bottom each feeding. Angels like clean water at 80 degrees.

plow
12-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that LH, It seems like my "overcrowding" problem is going to be sorting itself out (re:other thread on my dying fish)

smaug
12-20-2007, 08:06 PM
plow:So far I have been feeding them frozen mosquito larvae which they like, and occasionally cichlid sticks.. which they dont seem to like at all. They hardly even budge when I feed them the sticks...
You do not want to feed any frozen food daily to angels or most other fish.Angels do best when fed a large variety of foods such as plant based,algae based,tubiflex and at most 3 times a week frozen meaty things.Angels are pigs and will gorge themselves and be dead very quick if given the chance to over eat.BTW my angel gets fed with the rest of his tank mates 3 times a day a little at a time.A 1/4 teaspoon possibly for 50" worth of fish.

plow
12-20-2007, 08:56 PM
You do not want to feed any frozen food daily to angels or most other fish.Angels do best when fed a large variety of foods such as plant based,algae based,tubiflex and at most 3 times a week frozen meaty things.Angels are pigs and will gorge themselves and be dead very quick if given the chance to over eat.BTW my angel gets fed with the rest of his tank mates 3 times a day a little at a time.A 1/4 teaspoon possibly for 50" worth of fish.

cheers for that smaug :thumb:

smaug
12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
My pleasure plow.

Tigerbarb
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I found that my angel is never full, and if I fed whenever it begged, all my fish food would be gone in two days. Don't always feed angels whenever they beg, because mine never stops. He opens and closes his mouth out of the water in my tank when I open the lid until I give him food.

Lady Hobbs
01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Some fish never stop the search for food. They will beg and eat whenever it's given to them like puppies. That doesn't mean they should get it. Too much food will get them constipated. I feed mine 3 times a day as juvies and 2 times a day as adults but not so much that it floated to the floor of the tank. Just a pinch, then when it's gone, a pinch more.

Algenco
01-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Everyone has covered the feeding very well. If you want them to grow quickly and develop properly you should do frequent wc, 3x week minimum

Pr0eve
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I feed my fish once a day, and only what the tank can eat in 2 mins. if some one dose not eat, they will be first in line tomorrow. :)

mitcore
01-24-2008, 08:55 AM
i feed mine flake a breeders blend twice a day,

Arkie
01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
i feed mine twice a day aswell, flakes then every 2nd or 3rd day some small pellets or frozen blood worms for variety