PDA

View Full Version : state of emergency- do oscars heal quick?

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2007, 06:10 AM
For sh*t sake, this late at night and this happens.

I just walked by my oscars tank, and he FLIPPED and darted allover. He hit all of the glass panels and smashed my hood. He had a bunch of scraped allover him but is not knocked out and is moving for the most part. the tank did not crack or burst from him.

will he be alright?

EDIT- He has a small scratch on his eye socket. will this mean popeye?

country_boy454
12-20-2007, 06:28 AM
I don't know but I am sorry to hear about this.

KcEE
12-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Whoa!!! Why did it get such a shock! Gosh! Hmm..the scrapes should heal in time but the scars might stay there. Umm..your water should be clean, so less chance of infection I guess. I don't think it'll get pop-eye. Maybe put in some meds that will help with healing.

TowBoater
12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Shouldn't be so ugly.:c8: No I would add stress coat and melafix to his tank and walk a little slower by him, my severum does that but has never hurt himself.

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2007, 02:12 PM
This is how my sons Oscar smashed his 100 gallon tank. The darned thing flipped and tossed up a rock smashing the tank.

He'll heal but watch for infection on any of his boo-boo's.

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
he has salt, melafix, pimafix, and clean water.

why he did that i have no idea. usually the convict stays at the bottom in the driftwood and the oscar and pacu folllow their noses across the tank when i walk by. lucky the oscar never smashed it like your son since i have 3 big rocks and lots of driftwood

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
He was probably sleeping and you startled him. My son was sitting across the room watching his oscar when his went nuts. He wasn't even near the tank.

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
exactly what i thought but he wasnt sleeping. When i sit or do something else he stares at me, and thats what he was doing before he freaked. he usually sleeps towards the ground in the bottom of the tank at the back. at least this morning the only noticeable nicks are one small one in his side and the one on the eye

Juannie
12-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I always wonder about mine freaking out, I've got a pleco, jaguar, oscar & brasliensis in the same tank, i've had them for years and no matter what sometimes out of the blue they'll be startled by you walking near the tank and it gets turned upside down. It's just them I reckon, very frustrating. Keep your water changes up, melafix, pimafix and salt - he'll heal in no time as long as the quality of water is good (been there done that). GOOD LUCK!

TowBoater
12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Mine jumped out of the water last night but fell back into the tank. They get startled by sudden moves....Or your ugly face cocoa....

NickJennings
12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Just out of interest, how on earth did you deal with a broken tank? :s

That must have been very stressful for both you and the fish!!

Luckily I don't have any fish big (and strong) enough to damage the glass, and my tank is pretty small anyway but man, I think that would be my worst nightmare!

All that water gushing everywhere would put me in a right panic!

tropfish
12-22-2007, 01:29 PM
A couple days ago i was playing with the dog and ran into the room where the tank was. The severum flipped out and smashed into the filter intake. Luckily he was ok, jsut a little dazed. he's a very shy fish and get startled so easily.

Ocellatus
12-22-2007, 04:19 PM
fast healing, this is one of the things i like about them!
if they have good conditions no sign of injury can remain on their body.
the worst thing can happen is a serious scratch on their colored parts of skin. the skin will be ok soon but it takes some weeks to get the same color.

gm72
12-22-2007, 04:22 PM
They get startled by sudden moves....Or your ugly face cocoa....

ZING! :27: Good thing we're all friends here! :thumb:

cocoa_pleco
12-22-2007, 05:32 PM
lol, i wonder what would happen if i put a hockey mask on?

so far all is healed, and the eye gash is healed and no popeye

OscarFan
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
He should heal just add some aquarium salt. mine got in a fight with a craw dad a while back(OScar won) and got some scrapes. But some aquarium salt and he should be healed in a week. But watch out for infection

Tooch
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Every once in awhile my oscar will get a scratch or 2 from messin around with one of the other fish and scrape against one of the bigger rocks or the drift wood. They are always gone within a few days. Glad your fish is ok, and popeye didn't come beat him up! ...never trusted that guy... :c8:

Rue
12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
so far all is healed, and the eye gash is healed and no popeye

...Cocoa...nothing heals that fast! But I'm glad it's getting better...Oscars are known to be skittish, so these things happen fairly often...

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2007, 04:56 PM
hes fine completely now, that eye gash wasnt deep enough to cause popeye

Willyleigh
01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
One of my Oscars had his eye badly damaged by a convict earlier in November, it has completely healed already and the oscar got her back by eating her on christmas day :(

Ocellatus
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
sorry about the convict. thats a tragic revenge!
but at least your oscar is happy, thats the important matter! lol