PDA

View Full Version : which trigger is peaceful?

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2007, 04:57 AM
For some reason my coral banded shrimp freaked on the arrow crab and killed him, no idea why.

I moved the coral banded shrimp, and since now i have no inverts i want to try a trigger. which trigger is it thats peaceful and reef safe?

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2007, 05:55 AM
i think i remember, is it niger triggers?

unleashed
12-20-2007, 08:53 AM
i think i remember, is it niger triggers?

niger triggers are considered "more peaceful" than other triggers. still a hit or miss though. Could have a munch on some of your corals

Dave66
12-20-2007, 09:04 AM
For some reason my coral banded shrimp freaked on the arrow crab and killed him, no idea why.

I moved the coral banded shrimp, and since now i have no inverts i want to try a trigger. which trigger is it thats peaceful and reef safe?

Cocoa,
No trigger is completely reef safe, as they like to taste everything, including corals and clams. The Pink-Tail Trigger (Melichthys niger) eats primarily in the water column, and they are viewed as most reef safe of the triggers, that is, crustaceans are dinner, but they normally leave corals alone, especially if they are well fed. Downside is they reach 14 inches long fairly quickly, so you'd need at least a 100 gallon and perfect NSW to keep one. They are endemic to Hawaii, so they are usually in very good shape in shops.

Dave

2manyfish
12-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Niger, pink-tail, crosshatch, to name a few but the problem is these guys get big FAST!! What tank do you want to put a trigger in?
Another consideration is that any trigger you buy is going to eat the clean up crew at some point. That means your tank will need more maintance from you. Which can be a pain the you-know-what. (Think hair algae)
Just something to consider.

:c12: