PDA

View Full Version : In Wall Aquarium Design

jina@scoastnet.com.au
12-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Hi , I am a complete novice but have decided to build an in wall aquarium that is viewable both sides. Can anyone advise me on tank size limitations and
general maintainance requirements for such a setup, or any general advice specific to in wall tanks.
Jeff

mitcore
12-20-2007, 01:50 AM
howdy and welcome

country_boy454
12-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question.

Futureboy
12-20-2007, 02:15 AM
well i dont have one but i would think it would be the same as a normal tank

general maintinace like water changes
cleaning the filter
cleaning the glass etc

just make sure you have room on at least one side of that tank where you can get in and do the stuff

Welcome to the forum!
Get off to a good start by downloading the free aquarium Ebook in the left hand menu

read up about aquariums needs and make sure you can have time and can do it all before you even start thinking about your own tank

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2007, 02:29 AM
welcome to ac!

what is the width of the tank? Some of those wall tanks are so narrow thats its cruel to fish because they cant turn around

Lady Hobbs
12-20-2007, 02:33 AM
This is where the acrylic tank comes in handy. No worrying about leaking between the walls and a fraction of the weight. You'd have to build the wall out on on side or another or have a way to acess it thru doors somehow for water changes and hiding your equipment.

I'm no builder so can't help you much.

This is unless you are talking about those very narrow ones as cocoa mentioned.

Rue
12-20-2007, 02:51 AM
No size limitations...you can go as big as you like...but as mentioned, your tank needs to big enough for the fish to move around in, and properly supported.

MeganL3985
12-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Not sure I can give any useful advice, but sounds like a nice project! Good luck with it! I would love to see pics when its finished! :)

AABatteries
12-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Ummm... Well I've helped my dad build lots of thing before including part of a house...If you are planning to build this into a new home it shoul be fairly easy. But it your adding it on I will require some deconstruction. I'll make a skecth with a program to show you an idea or two.

Here it is...4168sorry its sloppy I did it in 5 min or less
Basically you build box with the middle portion cut away with on supporting corners, then have a boar to support the tank, and under the board and tank it could be a cuboard with doors on the bottom sides. Oh yeah BTW lumber and panaling will probably cost anywhere from $500-$1000, just a random guess. Dependign on where you live you will probably want a building permit.

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 04:28 AM
That's about some expensive 4x4's and paneling.

AABatteries
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Well yes, it is that was sort of more like the total price not including the tank and stuff like that. If you want attached to the existing wall you have to tear down the dry wall mabye even some of the studs. It could take alot of work.

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
There was a guy here last year that built such a thing. He made it flush with his dining room wall and the other side was extended into his attached garage. He was able to do all his maintence from the garage and drain his tanks out the door. I'm not too sure how that would work, tho. Seems it would be a long reach to clean the glass front trying to do it all from the back and how would you control the temp with the tank extending into the garage?

Too much of a hassle. Putting a tank on a half wall would be easier, I think.

crackatinny
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
A mate of mine who used to live in Sydney has often described to me a very similar setup, it divided a mate of his kitchen and dining room, it was about 6-8 inches thick aparently, and went the full heiegt of the room, it housed the likes of guppies and tetras, he reckoned it was a great affect, but very high maintainance.

I will try to suss out more details if I can.

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2007, 01:48 PM
The author of the thread never returned so guess he wasn't all that interested.

crackatinny
12-21-2007, 02:19 PM
The author of the thread never returned so guess he wasn't all that interested.

Still an interesting idea, and I know it has been done

AABatteries
12-22-2007, 02:18 AM
I'll try to get some pictures off the internet of some tanks.

cocoa_pleco
12-22-2007, 02:27 AM
hobbs is right, he hasnt even returned until 1 minute after he posted the question. it gets annoying when people join, ask a question, then leave

Faith_at_Large
12-22-2007, 03:40 PM
My understanding is that wall tanks if they are narrow do have serious depth issues. It is the surface area at the top of the tank that determines how many fish you can have in the tank. The more surface area, the more oxygen can get into the water. My understanding is that you can have more fish in a broader shallower tank than a narrow deep tank that holds the same volume of water.

I hope that anyone considering building such a tank, keep that into consideration. I think that a wall tank would be very cool, and they have been done successfully, and some not so successfully.

Tigerbarb
12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
I would start by measuring the diameter and size of the selected aquarium, and get some construction help to put space in the selected wall for the aquarium, then build a cabinet above to maintain the aquarium and feed the fish.